Author Topic: Metrix MTX 3281Multimeter - Ugly duckling or inspired design ?  (Read 9236 times)

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I bought another multimeter and thought I would share it with you here. Its from the venerable Metrix test equipment stable and I suspect it will be like Marmite on this forum...some will love it, whilst others will hate it  :) Let the fun begin.

I purchased a lightly used and well cared for 100,000 count MTX-3281 True RMS computerised graphical multimeter for £100 instead of buying a second Fluke 87 III for about the same money. The Fluke meters seem to be well used and abused at this price point so the 'as new' Metrix offering immediately attracted my attention

The theme of this thread is more about the design than the capabilities or functions offered. For an insight into what the MTX-32xx series offers, take a look at Martin's excellent video:

Now to the design. I consider Metrix to be similar to Citroen in terms of their design teams. Citroen have always liked to push the boundaries of design and have come up with some damned querky cars that are still very much loved by many of their owners. Top Gear certainly had great respect for the Citroen quirkiness and thought it made them more interesting to drive. Is the Metrix meter the same I wonder ?

Take a look at the photographs that I have attached. This is like no multimeter that I have owned before. I remember Radio Shack had some 'clam shell' designs with tiny displays in the top half.  Metrix have taken this ides into the 21st Century and beyond  :) This multimeter would not look out of place on the Star Ship Enterprise or other Sci-Fi programs. It almost emulates the Star Trek communicator with its flip up top panel  :-+  Can you tell I am a fan of Star Trek ?  ;D

When the meter was first released I thought the design to be a gimmick and gave the meter no further thought. It was also pretty expensive new. This multimeter is best considered a computerised meter as it has a nice large dot matrix backlit LCD, masses of functionality and graphical logging to the screen and a PC. It takes a few seconds to boot as the OS completes it start-up and self diagnostic checks.

Take a look at the above referenced video for an in depth review of the capabilities. I will attach the User manual. In my pictures the screen protector is still in place, hence the air bubbles. Well looked after, as I said  :-+

So what do fellow forum members think about Metrix and their somewhat eccentric test equipment designs ?  ;D

I can confirm that first impressions of the unit are very good. excellent build quality and easy to use. In short, very nice, but I still want my Fluke 87 III and its fast responding continuity check  ;)

I just have to make the PC optical link cable to use the free software package.

Aurora 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:21:37 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
Re: Metrix MLX 3281Multimeter - Ugly duckling or inspired design ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 02:03:33 pm »
I was looking to see who else still made a clam shell type multimeter. The venerable Gossen still make some so the idea can't be so weird after all ?

I was very unsure about a clam shell design but the unit does sit very well on the workbench and my previous concerns regarding such a design have all but disappeared. This is mainly due to the good quality of materials used and solid hinge design. There is still the life of the flex ribbon in the hinge to consider (if that is indeed what is used), but my unit is virtually new so should last a good while.

I consider it good value at £100 but not sure about >£300 though. I still like my Fluke multimeters.

Aurora
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:57:39 pm by Aurora »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:10:22 pm »
Oh and I forgot to say, the meter comes trimmed in impact absorbing blue rubber buffer zones around the case...... my favourite colour is blue so it was just meant to be  ;D The Blue contrasts well with the grey case actually  :-+ Very neat looking.

Aurora

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:18:52 pm »
Martin has done a follow up video of the units maths functions, power consumption etc. Looks quite powerful for a humble multimeter.

Aurora

• Super Contributor
Re: Metrix MTX 3281Multimeter - Ugly duckling or inspired design ?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:29:02 pm »
A picture of the MTX meter at work in a hands-free situation. I am assuming this is the reason for the unusual test lead port location ?

Aurora
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:30:47 pm by Aurora »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »
Aurora:

I get the impression that you are in love. I guess its better than cat pictures.  :-+

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 04:13:13 pm »
the french and their whacky multimeters ...  (metrix is owned by chauvin arnoux now)

The ITT metrix meters were REALLY good machines in their day , don't know now. I'm talking MX52,MX56 MX57 series.
they were designed by ITT in  germany , those guys were like phillips :they made their own resistors, caps, integrated circuits.
ITT intermetall.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:16:47 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 04:21:17 pm »
OK, OK, no gratuitous Cat Scan pictures this time.

How about a Tortoise scan instead  :)

James appeared quite impressed....he even tried to mount 'her'  ;D

Aurora
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:26:13 pm by Aurora »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 04:36:20 pm »
Oliver is wondering why people dislike him ?

He is a British cat on his home turf. Australians have good reason to dislike his invading Aussie cousins, but Ollie is a lovely little fellow who does no harm to anyone. He is an indoors cat and very good company when things get tough   ;)

Love the MTX3281 ?  Nah.... Love my little Ollie....Yep, and proud of it  :-+

Aurora
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:59:00 pm by Aurora »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 08:20:33 pm »
Hi Aurora,

So - what are your hands-on impressions? Is the Metrix meter comfortable to hold? I have never seen one of these in real life, but from the photos it appears that it might be quite top-heavy with the display folded back? Also, isn't it annoying that you have to check the back of the meter (and look around the folded-back display) to check whether your test lead is in the correct jack?

From your third photo, it also appears that the display is quite low contrast, and has an overly glossy surface. Is it better in real life? (Maybe after pulling off the protective film?)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:31 pm »
I will have some time using the meter tomorrow so will provide feedback on its ergonomics after.

First impressions are that it sits well in the hand and is not top heavy. There are only 3 ports at the rear (V,A & Com) and a warning beep sounds if you have your test leads in the wrong sockets for the selected mode. 'Leads' also flashes on the display.

The display protector is very shiny and the contrast is set to approx 1/3 of max.

With the display fully open, the units balance point is in line with the V and A keys of the keyboard. This makes it balance well in the hand and the sculpted rear sits in the palm very well. Its actually nice to hold and not that heavy. A nearest approximation to a common everyday handheld device would be a landline telephone handset, but a bit wider  :)

Aurora
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:00:52 pm by Aurora »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 08:41:02 pm »
You couldn't find an avatar with a cat holding the meter?  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 08:58:03 pm »
Don't tempt me....he's tame enough to let me pose a picture of him with a meter ;D

Aurora

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 09:01:03 pm »
Martin has the new color display one, but hasn't yet posted a review of it.

http://mjlorton.com/forum/index.php?topic=774.0

He also has the Extech GX900, but again, no review yet.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 09:16:13 pm »
The new unit is not a clam shell design so its back to a conventional format.......boring  :-DD 

Its not really a new version of the clam shell unit, but a different package without the power measurement capability. I would likely buy a Fluke instead.

I should say that I did not buy my unit because it was a clam shell format. It interested me, but the drive to buy was that it looked a decent meter for the money. Its pretty clever but would not be my first choice of formats if it was to be my only meter.

As for colour multimeter displays.....I have yet to see the point in such especially if they use the very short lived OLED types. Multimeters are supposed to deliver readings in a clear and concise manner....how does colour help I wonder ?

Aurora
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:52:08 pm by Aurora »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 11:07:22 pm »
A picture of the MTX meter at work in a hands-free situation. I am assuming this is the reason for the unusual test lead port location ?

Aurora
Yes, this might be useful. But I am not sure if I want the multimeter to be hung on me. For the safety reasons.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 04:22:24 am »
The new unit is not a clam shell design so its back to a conventional format.......boring  :-DD 

Its not really a new version of the clam shell unit, but a different package without the power measurement capability. I would likely buy a Fluke instead.

I should say that I did not buy my unit because it was a clam shell format. It interested me, but the drive to buy was that it looked a decent meter for the money. Its pretty clever but would not be my first choice of formats if it was to be my only meter.

As for colour multimeter displays.....I have yet to see the point in such especially if they use the very short lived OLED types. Multimeters are supposed to deliver readings in a clear and concise manner....how does colour help I wonder ?

Aurora

It does some W measurements and it has a TFT display (320x240).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:26:40 am by Wytnucls »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf