Author Topic: MCH-K305D cheap switching lab power supply  (Read 13901 times)

Offline Imi3estTopic starter

MCH-K305D cheap switching lab power supply
« on: November 30, 2014, 09:00:45 pm »
Hi!

I just want to show a cheap switcing lab power supply: "MCH-K305D".  I bought it for hobby purposes, so I didn't want to spend too much. It was 70$ with shipping.
I haven't tested it totally. I will check it later with oscilloscope. I checked it with some leds an resistors. I also havent tested it at high load. Max load was 20-30W which I tested. It was interesting that the fan haven't started. I checked the three heat sinks on transistors which was quite cool so I hope this is why the fan haven't started.  I think it is not too bad for that price. At low currents the current limiting is not perfect. If I start to decrease the current limit, it sometimes goes down to 0. If I start to increase it, it jumps up to 50-100mA. Voltage adjustment is quite good, its precision is around 0,05V.
I think for hobby purposes it is not a bad power supply.
I wrote this little "review" because I haven't found any info before I bought it. (sorry for my bad english :) )
I would like to see others opinions about this item.

advantages: (based on my limited electronic knowledge)
+ cheap
+ good voltage precision
+ silent (at less than 30W - or bad fan ?)
+ switching supply - so I think is is efficent
disadvantages
- not too good current limiting
- not a known reliable brand

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
Re: MCH-K305D cheap switching lab power supply
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 10:01:58 pm »
It states 30V/5A which would suggest a max load of 150W, so at 30W I think you are being over cautious!

I have a similar SMPS that I bought years ago from a Maplin store N93CX (20V/5A 100W) when they dropped it from £89.99 to £49.99 during a sale. Though my first supply gave up the magic smoke (yet still worked with an annoying buzzing), I swapped it no problem and it has been fine ever since. It's worth it as a light portable supply with CV/CC.

I believe it is also sold as Tenma and Manson.

It is nothing compared to my linear Rigol DP832 and HP 6632B though. ;)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:44:11 pm »
Hi!

I just want to show a cheap switcing lab power supply: "MCH-K305D".  I bought it for hobby purposes, so I didn't want to spend too much. It was 70$ with shipping.
I haven't tested it totally. I will check it later with oscilloscope. I checked it with some leds an resistors. I also havent tested it at high load. Max load was 20-30W which I tested. It was interesting that the fan haven't started. I checked the three heat sinks on transistors which was quite cool so I hope this is why the fan haven't started.  I think it is not too bad for that price. At low currents the current limiting is not perfect. If I start to decrease the current limit, it sometimes goes down to 0. If I start to increase it, it jumps up to 50-100mA. Voltage adjustment is quite good, its precision is around 0,05V.
I think for hobby purposes it is not a bad power supply.
I wrote this little "review" because I haven't found any info before I bought it. (sorry for my bad english :) )
I would like to see others opinions about this item.

advantages: (based on my limited electronic knowledge)
+ cheap
+ good voltage precision
+ silent (at less than 30W - or bad fan ?)
+ switching supply - so I think is is efficent
disadvantages
- not too good current limiting
- not a known reliable brand
@Imi3est
Welcome to the forum.
Be assured they are a good little PSU although as a SMPS they do have some ripple.
The fan controller is "smart" and even at max load it still cycles the fan, this demonstrates the cooling design is sound.(15-25 C ambient)
Yes the only 5 turn pots could have been 10 turners but the resolution is adequate for a cheap PSU.
We have given them a hiding with no failures to date @ ~ 2 years.

BTW. No voltage overshoot on power up negates the need for a switched output with these PSU's.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:07:19 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: andreimaxim

Offline bluey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:10:19 pm »
Company has been around for 20years.
http://www.china-mch.com/index.php?l=en

Design of this power supply apparently new/updated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf