Author Topic: Advice on picking (another) Bench Oscilloscope...  (Read 1596 times)

Offline bsodmikeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Advice on picking (another) Bench Oscilloscope...
« on: June 30, 2020, 03:08:31 pm »
Hi all,

I have a Tektronix Model TDS 1012 which is a 100MHz/1GS/s 'scope but unfortunately, for the time being, I seem to have misplaced this during a move.  So while I continue to check storage for this, I'm looking to pick up another (more modern) scope.

My research has me leaning towards the Tektronix MDO34 3-BW-100 -  MSO / MDO Oscilloscope, 3 Series, 4 Analogue, 100 MHz, 2.5 GSPS (link: https://export.farnell.com/tektronix/mdo34-3-bw-100/mixed-domain-osc-4-16ch-100mhz/dp/3104068) vs Keysight DSOX3024T (link: https://export.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/dsox3024t/oscilloscope-4-ch-200mhz-5gsps/dp/2449635).  Both are 4-channel.

For similar cost, the Keysight has more grunt out of the box: 200MHz/5GS/s however, the Tektronix has:
  • 100Mhz / 2.5GS/s
  • Much larger display
  • HDMI out
  • Upgradable bandwidth / samples/s (at added cost)
  • Digital probe that is very handy as I work a lot more in the MCU domain.
  • Nicer UI, controls. Can even plug a physical mouse to control cursor on screen.

I'm actually sold by the touch-sensitive large display.

My use-case is mainly microcontroller, power-electronics, switch-mode PSU design related; I'm not entirely sure that I would need the extra bandwidth headroom with the Keysight unit.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:15:46 pm by bsodmike »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Advice on picking (another) Bench Oscilloscope...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 03:39:57 pm »
For similar cost, the Keysight has more grunt out of the box: 200MHz/5GS/s however, the Tektronix has:
  • 100Mhz / 2.5GS/s
  • Much larger display
  • HDMI out
  • Upgradable bandwidth / samples/s (at added cost)
  • Digital probe that is very handy as I work a lot more in the MCU domain.
  • Nicer UI, controls. Can even plug a physical mouse to control cursor on screen.

I'm actually sold by the touch-sensitive large display.

You can get a 350MHz, 8GS/sec Rigol MSO500X with all of that plus a lot more besides for about $1300.

(price of 'scope plus digital probe set)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 08:21:59 pm »
I'd say neither. Keysight has short memory and Tektronix' recent scopes don't exactly have a good name where it comes to a snappy user interface. You might want to look at the R&S RTB2004 / RTM3004 or if you are on a budget the Siglent SDS5000 series.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: bsodmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 12:57:53 pm »
Hey @nctnico -

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking at this RTM3004.  It ticks all the right boxes: https://export.farnell.com/rohde-schwarz/rtm3k-24m/digital-osc-mso-200mhz-4-16-ch/dp/2836597

It includes a bandwidth upgrade and the 4+16 Digital MSO option (important!).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:51:48 pm »
I'd say neither. Keysight has short memory and Tektronix' recent scopes don't exactly have a good name where it comes to a snappy user interface. You might want to look at the R&S RTB2004 / RTM3004 or if you are on a budget the Siglent SDS5000 series.

Quick thank you for your advise.  Both the Keysight PSU and the RTM3004 have been excellent :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf