Author Topic: Siglent SDG1025 - Sync pulse for sweep  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Slappy_gTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Siglent SDG1025 - Sync pulse for sweep
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:42:35 pm »
I was watching Dave's video on faking a Bode plot using a siggen set to do a frequency sweep.

I went to replicate this on my new setup (Rigol MSO2000A series scope and Siglent 1025 siggen).  It appears that the sync pulse when set to sweep is not neatly aligned to the sweep like Dave shows in his video (half low, half high).  It appears that it sends a short (several microsecond high pulse at the start of the sweep only), which makes it challenging to use for reliable triggering.

I am using a sweep range of 10Hz to 100kHz over 5 seconds at 4V P-P.  Am I missing something here, or do I need to return my Siglent and prepare to pay for a better unit?  (please tell me it's the former, as getting wife signoff on more hobby spending may lead to a knife in my back)
Unlocked the Rigol MSO2072A to a MSO2302A via JTAG.  Read about how here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg498454/#msg498454

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Siglent SDG1025 - Sync pulse for sweep
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 05:18:42 am »
I do not know if this can help anything.
http://siglent.freeforums.org/sdg1000-syncout-secrets-and-freaks-also-some-trig-out-t28.html

This work documentation is still "under work". But there is something.

"....which makes it challenging to use for reliable triggering."

Really?
If oscilloscope have any problem for reliable trig to this kind of signal then oscilloscope is broken ... or totally wrong trigger settings (and I suspect this last one). 

BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Slappy_gTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:58:49 pm »
I do not know if this can help anything.
http://siglent.freeforums.org/sdg1000-syncout-secrets-and-freaks-also-some-trig-out-t28.html

This work documentation is still "under work". But there is something.

"....which makes it challenging to use for reliable triggering."

Really?
If oscilloscope have any problem for reliable trig to this kind of signal then oscilloscope is broken ... or totally wrong trigger settings (and I suspect this last one).

Thanks for the link - that was very interesting.  As to your second point - perhaps I should have phrased it better.  I noticed that the short pulse was not 100% aligned with the start of the sweep and seemed to vary slightly left/right, which created a repeatability problem.  That's the main cause of concern.
Unlocked the Rigol MSO2072A to a MSO2302A via JTAG.  Read about how here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg498454/#msg498454

Offline Hootch

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 06:38:59 pm »
Hi!
I had the same problem, not with a digital scope but with an analog one. After reading the manual for a while with no usable results, I just fiddled with the settings. So it came up, that in my configuration the Bode-diagram-plotting works fine with much a shorter sweep-time setting, about 100ms. Of course with the equivalent setting on the scope. The rest of the setup was just as in Dave's video (although I was a bit foolish: I forgot the filter-cap first :palm: )
Just give it a try, I'm sure, it'll work!

Greetings!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf