Author Topic: Mastech DC Power Supply HY3005DX - Cheap and very impressing!  (Read 7789 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Mastech DC Power Supply HY3005DX - Cheap and very impressing!
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »
I was looking for a decent and cheap power supply. I found this:

http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/dc-power-supply/linear-power-supply/volteq-regulated-variable-dc-power-supply-hy3005dx-30v-5a/prod_67.html

Product Information

VOLTEQ HY3005DX is a brand new lab grade DC regulated power supply; as an improved version of HY3005D, this power supply can be controlled to 10mV and 1 mA . This highly stable, high quality DC power supply has an output continuously adjustable at 0-30V DC and 0-5A. What's more, the unit is equipped with coarse and fine controls for adjusting the voltage and current outputs, making it extremely easy to set the output to your desired level. The unit comes with 2 bright LED displays, providing accurate readout for the voltage and current values. Please email me with any questions!

Features & Specifications:

Adjustable outputs: 0-30V and 0-5A
    Coarse and fine controls for both current and voltage outputs
    Input voltage: 110V/60Hz and 220V/50Hz switchable
    Line regulation: CV <= 0.01% + 3 mV, CC <= 0.2% + 3 mA
    Load Regulation: CV <= 0.01% + 3mV, CC <= 0.2% + 3 mA
    Ripple noise: CV <= 0.5 mV RMS, CC <= 3 mA RMS
    Recovery time: < 100 micro seconds
    LED reading accuracy: +/-1% for voltage and +/-2% for current
    Environment: 0-40C, relative humidity < 80%
    Size: 10.6" x 5.0" x 5.7"
    Weight: 9 lbs
    Warranty: 1 year

for about $110, and I took it home.

It was working just fine for a while, then my bad I dropped that thing on the bench and it started to have a sporadic failures. I decided yesterday to open it up and repair it.
Impressing! I was so blown away I decided to report it.

Internal overview

Power board

Digital Control board for V and I display

Rear front PCB output panel: on the left the left positive output, in the middle the earth and on the right the negative output. Attention to detail: black sensing wires are connected to positive output positive (purple big wire) and red sensing wire are connected to negative output (black big wire)

Front PCB output panel, to improve the space efficiency and reduce the cost elco filtering cap is mounted touching the board on the side with no glue compound to hold this rocking chair in place

In this way the elco cap solder joints can easily crack. That increased resistance located  in the cracked joints  will protect that output cap during unwanted output overvoltage situations

Under the power board, carefully trimmed bad solder joint to precisely increase joint resistance under the calibration pots.

Generous amount of flux residual everywhere to protect the delicate precision power circuit from dust and other external dirt

A beginner could think the development ran out of space in the main power PCB. No, that lovely balcony mounted PCB mounted on the power transistors heat sink will use the hot air to stabilize the little transistor pnp junction to ensure a jitter free (and stable in a wide range of ambient temperature) safety relais actuation to cut the main lines.

Also the 5V 7805 heat sink is carefully placed close to the elco caps for thermal stabilization.

At the end of the day after my last score in ebay...

eBay auction: #371113062026

I feel like I throw my money out of the window with Mastech.

-----------

For High Resolution pictures:
http://postimg.org/gallery/1mzeoqfa/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:05:53 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
Re: Mastech DC Power Supply HY3005DX - Cheap and very impressing!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 07:07:48 pm »
Looks like you could replace the large cap with 3 smaller caps.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:41:10 pm »
The HY3005DX looks nice on the inside but maybe for a few dollars more they could add an output on/off switch.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:05:48 pm »
Don't you love how, in the headline pic, the "VOLTEQ" logo looks painted on?  Like... Windows Paint-ed on?

Same POS is rebranded by any number of sellers; beats me if there's one or many companies ultimately manufacturing the things.

Last time I had one of those available, half the time the fan wouldn't start, and in any case, the "heatsink" (no fins whatsoever, just an aluminum plate with three TO-3 transistors on it -- yeah, like more transistors will handle more dissipation or something!) got much too hot even at half rated load.  Eventually, the fan itself died (its BLDC circuit kicked, but the fan didn't turn over, hence the circuit just sat there cooking itself into a single winding), and the rest of it followed later.

The higher power (switching) models are pure shit.  They lack sufficient EMI filtering, creepage distance, anything reminiscent of proper design (e.g., switching transistors grossly mismatched to a piss-weak drive circuit), and the output doesn't even begin to meet the already generous specs claimed in the datasheet (such as SOA and ripple).  The failure mode I observed: high current, low voltage: because the gate drivers swing in microseconds, a low duty cycle output utterly destroys the transistors.

Conclusion:

If you need a bench supply, don't be a cheapshit.  Find some good old iron, like HP, Kepco, etc.  If you want new / computerized, find something with at least a little quality, like an up-scale Rigol.  Expect to pay over $1/watt capacity.  New name-brand equipment, >= $3/W.

Or make your own, so you have only yourself to blame for its failure (and there's nothing that you can't fix).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:54:18 pm »
Same POS is rebranded by any number of sellers; beats me if there's one or many companies ultimately manufacturing the things.

That particular one is apparently manufactured by Longwei. The LW on the front panel PCB gives it away.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 01:40:55 am »
If you need a bench supply, don't be a cheapshit.  Find some good old iron, like HP, Kepco, etc.  If you want new / computerized, find something with at least a little quality, like an up-scale Rigol.  Expect to pay over $1/watt capacity.  New name-brand equipment, >= $3/W.

Or make your own, so you have only yourself to blame for its failure (and there's nothing that you can't fix).

Tim

AMEN BROTHER!  O0
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf