Author Topic: DISK CLONING - for one oscilloscope  (Read 3197 times)

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
Re: DISK CLONING - for one oscilloscope
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2023, 07:46:22 am »
Hi,
i cloned a hard drive with Acronis, all went well.

Did you use the Acronis from Cruical https://www.acronis.com/en-sg/promotion/crucialhd-download/?cm_re=ssd-support-_-structured-_-acronis-link
 or the preinstalled Cloning-SW on the HDO?
"Cruicals" Acronis shows a "clone disk" which should do the job. Even if W7 is not specified anymore I would just try it....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:48:03 am by mk_ »

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2023, 08:29:27 am »
BOOTMGR missing usually means the bios has loaded the primary bootsector code that usually then reads the BOOTMGR into memory and executes it , normally USB boot required additional bios code to keep the drive listed as a fake IDE which the bootsector loader would access bootmgr via and once thats done it hands over to bootmgr. Now without bios support you wont get usb boot unless you start using more advances boot loaders like grub which does support usb boot in the bootsect code last time i checked.
As for cloning the drive you should try booting clonezilla and choose ram loading, this will allow you to swap to your backup drive when you ready to clone and allows you to see whats installed prior to adding the usb drive making the possability of overwriting your real drive lessened.
This will also allow you to test usb boot as the clone zillausb flash image (can be written to a flash via windows using rufus flash writer 3.4)  uses grub and/or syslinux (another system support usbboot) and also support the various flavours of sector size that the system might need.
it's possible to also test the cloned drive in a virtual machine (qemmu is best for windows & direct drive access) and via clonezilla compare mode. Clonezilla itself will also allow some editing of the usb parameters for the clone like sector size, expanding of the partitions, it is also very good at doing 1:1 clones due to linux kernel drivers being better at low level than windows in some cases.

darkspr1te

Offline bozidarmsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2023, 04:08:44 pm »
Did you use the Acronis from Cruical https://www.acronis.com/en-sg/promotion/crucialhd-download/?cm_re=ssd-support-_-structured-_-acronis-link
 or the preinstalled Cloning-SW on the HDO?

That was preinstalled Acronis on HDO.

Maybe some more Info - originally HDO had 8.0.1.2 firmware.
I was always bothered that the signal display grid had no full side labeling, so i decided to upgrade.
Now, HDO has newest "One-touch" MAUI 10.1.0.3, double spectrum analyzer mode,... which is really super 8),
but i wonted to preserve a old firmware and all software too, so that was a real reason for cloning.
What is important to me now is bringing that first clone to function.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2023, 05:10:59 pm »
The only way to test it is to pull the original disk out and try your cloned disk instead.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf