Author Topic: Making the N1996A CSA Dance  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Making the N1996A CSA Dance
« on: November 15, 2015, 12:19:02 pm »
I got myself a used Agilent N1996A CSA Spectrum Analyzer on eBay, it was delivered yesterday and I thought I'd start this thread to a) allow me to ask dumb questions as I learn how it works and b) to allow others to learn from my experience.

First Thoughts
This just oozes of quality, it's solid and heavy with bumper feet at every corner.  The color LCD screen is about 8.25 inches diagonally and very high resolution (need reading glasses).  It came with no batteries but when I checked on Agilent's web site, this was how the standard version was delivered - i.e. batteries are an option.  It seems Agilent used a commercial, off-the-shelf rechargeable battery which can still be purchased for about $150 (each, it takes 2) and the part numbers I've found so far are:
1420-0891, 1420-0899, 9770066, N9910X-870, NF2040, NF2040-AG24, SM206, SM206-5.2 please don't treat this as gospel, tell me if any is not compatible and I'll amend the list.  Anyway, I can run with no batteries for now.

Supporting Stuff
I've ordered some medium priced cables, adapters, and attenuaters to get me started.  I decided that, going to 3 or 6 GHz means that I should standardize on SMA connectors so I've got N-male to SMA female adapters, SMA cables, and SMA - RP-SMA gender changers.  I've also ordered some BNC adapters to allow me to interface with my other stuff like my Rigol DG4202 signal generator.  I'm also considering a Nortel NTBW50AA GPS-modified oscillator to give me accurate 10 MHz signal for my lab.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

• Super Contributor
Re: Making the N1996A CSA Dance
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:21:21 pm »
First dumb question - how do I connect a serial terminal to this?  If I set up the LAN connection, can I then use Hyperterminal from a PC?  Although there is a LOT of documentation out on the web for programming and remotely controlling this puppy, this simple aspect seems to have been overlooked.

[EDIT] OK, I figured out the first part.  On my N1996A, I had to go into System>Controls>IP Admin and change IP Config to DHCP. Then you have to restart the N1996A and you'll see the IP address that your DHCP server has assigned to the CSA.  I use Windows 10 and Telnet is disabled by default so you have to enable it - follow the instructions here
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:09:55 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 07:21:16 pm »
  I use Windows 10 and Telnet is disabled by default

Install Putty , and get a decent Terminal package , bonus is that it's also available on Linux.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

/Bingo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:21:29 pm »
The first N1996A I bought had a problem and I returned it. 

I got a different one over the Xmas break and I'm only just getting to play with it - the testing procedure for performing a one port insertion loss measurement requires some calibration up front and the built-in procedure requires a short, an open, and a calibrated 50 Ohm load.  Given that I'm working with SMA I thought I'd look for these 3 items in SMA so I can do tests and I'm looking for advice an what to buy...

Does anyone know of any reasonably-priced stuff that would meet my needs?

Is 3.5 mm stuff way better than SMA and is it compatible? I think it is.

Thanks in advance.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:11:29 pm »
Well you can spend real money on a name brand kit or go with something cheap like ebay item # 371528395137 - who knows how good it really is but the price is a magnitude(or two!) cheaper then something name brand. For spectrum analyzer use I suspect the cheapie kit may actually meet your needs.
VE7FM

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 03:50:15 am »
The first N1996A I bought had a problem and I returned it. 

I got a different one over the Xmas break and I'm only just getting to play with it - the testing procedure for performing a one port insertion loss measurement requires some calibration up front and the built-in procedure requires a short, an open, and a calibrated 50 Ohm load.  Given that I'm working with SMA I thought I'd look for these 3 items in SMA so I can do tests and I'm looking for advice an what to buy...

Does anyone know of any reasonably-priced stuff that would meet my needs?

Is 3.5 mm stuff way better than SMA and is it compatible? I think it is.

Thanks in advance.

SMA is fine unless you know for sure that it isn't. 

3.5mm hardware is compatible with SMA but much more delicate.  It's possible to screw up a 3.5mm female jack by mating it with an SMA cable, if the center pin moves around at all.

Online radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 06:01:07 am »
If it's a test cable you're after, grab one from Mini-circuits. They make reasonably priced ones, with N-type on one end, and SMA or N on the other. Don't get the quick-disconnect (half-turn) stuff, it's hard to not cross thread them.

http://www.minicircuits.com/products/test_cbl.shtml

For work below about 10 GHz, 3.5mm connectors don't really provide an advantage, unless you need super low VSWR.

I have an N1996A at work. It was basically unusable until I bumped the firmware to 2.0 (this was many years ago - they probably have a new one out now), you may want to do the same.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 06:35:22 am »
I'd stick with SMA. You can buy SMA cables with huber&schuner (or something like that) cables from Ebay for decent prices (expect to pay $30 for a 50cm cable) but they have low loss until at least 3GHz.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 11:12:18 am »
Thanks for all the replies, despite my advancing years, I wasn't even aware that 3.5 mm (basically high falutin' SMA) existed until yesterday.  I'll stick with SMA after all the comments you guys gave as I'm only going up to 6 GHz.  I already bought some cheap SMA adapters and cables (and a few good ones too) plus 3 used 12" Huber+Suhner SMA cables.
TheSteve pointed me to some el cheapo calibration terminators that I ordered from eBay yesterday; their web site claims that they are pretty good, we'll see.

Offline Cooperhop

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 12:18:27 pm »
Hi,

I know this was posted a long ago. But needed to ask about the experience on using this spectrum analyzer.

How was your experience with the Agilent CSA N1996A ? I find it has some slow refresh rate ? Is it bothersome ?Is it because it’s a portable spectrum analyzer? Would bench top spectrum analyzer of the same era might have better performance?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf