Author Topic: Magnova oscilloscope  (Read 99364 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Magnova oscilloscope
« Reply #375 on: Yesterday at 09:01:57 pm »
The 1 M input termination must be used with the supplied passive probes.

Reading the manual, is the above statement accurate?  Does the scope have proprietary 10x probes that must be used?   Other probes that would meet the required compensation are not supported?

After reading the manual, there are a few minor things that may need cleaned up but these could be from running the translator (see previous post for attached English translation).   For my purposes, this manual was good enough. 

It's one thing to read how that UI works but I think I would just need to try and run it.   Having used a mechanical UI since my first Dumont oscilloscope, I can see really liking it or hating it. 

The one thing I really see missing is a programmers manual.   I commonly will use test equipment as part of a larger test and am used to rolling custom software to automate them.  I would like to see this interface well documented.  I also would like to see metrics published on what sort of data transfer rates we could expect.   

All in all,  it looks good and I am still very interested.   Get that thing certified for sale in the USA or just ship one of the prototypes and lets have a look.   

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:21:17 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #376 on: Yesterday at 09:11:53 pm »
Where did you find this, which page?
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #377 on: Yesterday at 09:25:11 pm »
I found it(page17).
It only says that you have to switch the input to 1M if you want to use the supplied probes.
Which makes sense, because they are designed for 1M.

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #378 on: Yesterday at 09:40:04 pm »
Hello,

there must be a few owners of a Magnova by now. It would be nice if one of them would write here.

Best regards
egonotto

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #379 on: Yesterday at 09:54:36 pm »
Hello,

Question for Batronix and Martin72:

@Batronix: Is it possible to operate the Magnova from remote via internet?

If so, you could connect an interesting signal to each input and give Martin72 access for a certain time.

@Martin72: Would you participate?

Best regards
egonotto

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: Yesterday at 10:12:47 pm »
If so, you could connect an interesting signal to each input and give Martin72 access for a certain time.

I'm not sure that would that do justice to a scope where the UI is one of the distinguishing features. You could not really experience the user interface with the large screen and the four flexible rotary encoders right next to it, acting as "soft knobs". And you could not experience screen update rates and smoothness (or lack thereof) when moving things around either.

These aspects don't matter that much if you are purely after an "analytical scope". But my feeling is that the Magnova -- while hopefully providing comprehensive and accurate measurements and analytics -- puts a lot of focus on interactive use and how that handles and feels.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: Yesterday at 11:03:46 pm »
The 1 M input termination must be used with the supplied passive probes.

Reading the manual, is the above statement accurate?  Does the scope have proprietary 10x probes that must be used?   Other probes that would meet the required compensation are not supported?

I found it(page17).
It only says that you have to switch the input to 1M if you want to use the supplied probes.
Which makes sense, because they are designed for 1M.

Note the quotation, this was copied from the Google translated manual verbatim.   So, are you suggesting that this is a problem with the translation and that the original language tells us something different?   This would make sense but I have no way of knowing, which is why I asked. 

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #382 on: Yesterday at 11:26:17 pm »
Hello,

On page 17 under 4 it says: “Bei den mitgelieferten passiven Tastköpfen muss die 1 MΩ Eingangsterminierung verwendet werden”.

This means that if you use the supplied passive probes, than you must set the input to 1 MOhm.

It does not say that you have to use the supplied probes. So this is no different to most other scopes.

Best regards
egonotto

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #383 on: Yesterday at 11:44:13 pm »
Ok, so a Google translation problem.   Thanks as I was thinking this was going to be a deal breaker.   Imagine a scope that couldn't use standard 10X probes.... :-DD 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf