Author Topic: Lots of Rigol!  (Read 14616 times)

Offline bandgapTopic starter

• Contributor
  • .: no electrons here :.
    • Bandgap.net
Lots of Rigol!
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:07:45 pm »
I took a job recently as the lead electronics instructor at a local community college, and was given the opportunity to order new equipment for the lab. The first part of the shipment came in this week:

• 1xDSA815-TG
  • 12xDP832
  • 12xDG1022
  • 4xDM3058E

The rest is expected in 6-8 weeks and will include 8 more DM3058Es and 12x DS1102D. Hopefully, the students will appreciate this updated version of the lab.

-Clayton

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:10:34 pm by bandgap »

• Contributor
    • Bandgap.net
Re: Lots of Rigol!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:12:21 pm »
And here's some of the older equipment that's being replaced (although I'm going to hang on to most of the scopes for the lab.)

In the picture of the scopes, you can see an old HP-130C. I believe it is the oldest piece of equipment in the lab (early 60s.) It doesn't power up, though. I'll have to open her up when I get some time.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:15:35 pm by bandgap »

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:15:12 pm »
wow so much rigol.
it must have cost a fortune
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

• Contributor
    • Bandgap.net
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:18:02 pm »
wow so much rigol.
it must have cost a fortune

Normally, I would not have had the budget to do this. Fortunately, though, there was some grant money that needed to be spent fast. :)

Offline commongrounder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:28:52 pm »
Looks like you are due for a computer upgrade, too!   ;D

• Contributor
    • Bandgap.net
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 07:07:52 pm »
Looks like you are due for a computer upgrade, too!   ;D

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. That computer is one of many that is being sent to surplus/storage. :) (It actually boots up to Windows 95.) I feel like I'm on episode of hoarders cleaning all this up!

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 07:19:56 pm »
You have a ton of F-gens. Is this the EET side of the schooling?
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:59:03 pm »
I took a job recently as the lead electronics instructor at a local community college, and was given the opportunity to order new equipment for the lab. The first part of the shipment came in this week:

• 1xDSA815-TG
  • 12xDP832
  • 12xDG1022
  • 4xDM3058E

The rest is expected in 6-8 weeks and will include 8 more DM3058Es and 12x DS1102D. Hopefully, the students will appreciate this updated version of the lab.

-Clayton

So YOU are the sole reason I now have a 3 month wait for my Rigol DP832 and DM3058E from TEquipment.  >:(

A pox on thee, foul villain! :box:

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »
Huh... how pushy Agilent & Tek dealers are going to survive this?  :-DD

Their perfected marketing speech as well as FAMOUS SUPPORT!!! for overpriced products did not work this time  :-//

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 08:19:02 pm »

• 1xDSA815-TG
  • 12xDP832
  • 12xDG1022
  • 4xDM3058E

-Clayton

So YOU are the sole reason I now have a 3 month wait for my Rigol DP832 and DM3058E from TEquipment.  >:(

Do they even sell to the uk
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Offline Co6aka

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:30:02 pm »
So YOU are the sole reason I now have a 3 month wait...

Actually, the Chinese need time to sober-up from New Year festivities. ;)  (They don't have Scottish blood in 'em, so...)
Co6aka says, "BARK! and you have no idea how humans will respond."

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 08:33:26 pm »
Please post a link in BUY/SELL when the old equipment goes to auction. I'm betting that, unless forced, the students will not want to go near the old scopes much, if at all.

What's the gender ratio in your classes?

One question, why didn't you order one of the Hello Kitty* DP832?

*See Dave's video on the DP832 for a Hello Kitty mock-up

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 09:02:44 pm »

• 1xDSA815-TG
  • 12xDP832
  • 12xDG1022
  • 4xDM3058E

-Clayton

Do they even sell to the uk

Yes, no problem - but they appear to prefer paypal. Even with USPS airmail and 20% import VAT they are a lot cheaper than rigoluk.co.uk or the Chinese ebay/aliexpress sellers. However the lead time is a PITA. Difference is they are upfront about it, while chinese sellers claim to have stock but are liars in my experience.

If I pay by credit card then TEquipment just want a scan of the card and a scan of the most recent statement. I don't think that is too onerous so long as they have an SSL upload facility. Indeed I may go for that as I get 1% cashback on my ASDA credit card. I only did paypal because it was so easy and I didnt expect a stock problem.

• Contributor
    • Bandgap.net
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 09:18:05 pm »
Please post a link in BUY/SELL when the old equipment goes to auction. I'm betting that, unless forced, the students will not want to go near the old scopes much, if at all.

What's the gender ratio in your classes?

One question, why didn't you order one of the Hello Kitty* DP832?

*See Dave's video on the DP832 for a Hello Kitty mock-up

I'll keep an eye out when the old stuff goes to auction and post here. Gender ratio is all male (that needs to change!) I actually intend to try and do some summer camps here to get the youngster's interested in electronics (hopefully both boys and girls.) NONE of the students I have do electronics as a hobby. I find that both surprising and sad. This needs to change as well.

Yeah, I have seen that Hello Kitty mock-up. Very funny. I'm sure if there's really something like that the students would have gotten a kick out of that.

-Clayton

• Contributor
    • Bandgap.net
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 09:19:50 pm »
You have a ton of F-gens. Is this the EET side of the schooling?

Yeah, it's currently the "Electronics Engineering" program although it's changing soon to be an Electronics track within a larger program called Electrical Systems technology.

-Clayton

• Contributor
    • Bandgap.net
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 09:21:11 pm »

Oops!

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 09:42:55 pm »

• 1xDSA815-TG
  • 12xDP832
  • 12xDG1022
  • 4xDM3058E

-Clayton

Offline GiskardReventlov

• Frequent Contributor
  • How many pseudonyms do you have?
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 09:50:25 pm »
I'll keep an eye out when the old stuff goes to auction and post here.
Maybe the school could turn it into a fundraiser and use the funds for an electronics-career reach-out to the girls.

Gender ratio is all male (that needs to change!) I actually intend to try and do some summer camps here to get the youngster's interested in electronics (hopefully both boys and girls.) NONE of the students I have do electronics as a hobby. I find that both surprising and sad. This needs to change as well.
I think having them get involved at a younger age is the key.  A simple breadboard class in elementary school would go a long way.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 10:32:28 pm »
I think having them get involved at a younger age is the key.  A simple breadboard class in elementary school would go a long way.

I would totally agree with this. The hacker mentality is something I found encouraged as a male child, and I see no reason why young girls can't get involved either. Here is an interesting article I just read today http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/girls-and-software
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:35:44 pm by Macbeth »

• Contributor
    • Bandgap.net
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 04:06:45 am »

Yeah, the people organizing the camp would like to see me do something robotics related I believe. However, everyone and their brother are doing robotics (which is good, but it's everywhere.) I'm thinking of doing something like "creating music with electronics" since synthesizers have been an interest of mine since I was a kid as well. I think the kids could really get a lot of enjoyment out of making some kind of "musical" device even if it were nothing more than a simple 555-timer atari punk console. Plus, it could give them something to take home to annoy their parents!  >:D

• Contributor
    • Bandgap.net
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 04:12:58 am »
I would totally agree with this. The hacker mentality is something I found encouraged as a male child, and I see no reason why young girls can't get involved either. Here is an interesting article I just read today http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/girls-and-software

That is an excellent article.. thanks!

-Clayton

Offline leafi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 06:17:04 am »
SO the real question is are you going to unlock all of the options? lol

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 07:07:36 am »
Did you not have to get 3 quotes for tender etc?
Did you approach Agilent, Tek regarding equipment. Curious what they say.
I did not see any new DSO.

"something to take home to annoy their parents!"- electronic harmonica or that cricket LDR thing?

Offline mainman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 07:30:52 am »
Could you please order me a spectrum analyzer. :(

BTW where are the DSO

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 12:42:14 pm »
AWESOME! :-+ :clap: