Author Topic: Looking to purchase scope, torn between models  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking to purchase scope, torn between models
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2017, 06:33:26 pm »
the new SDS1204X-E has much more going for it (including a better chance on the firmware getting finished).

I can't comment on firmware. If the firmware is crap then the other one may well be a bad deal despite beastlike paper specs.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:26:57 pm by Fungus »

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one with a 2225 that took a little repair. I do like that scope but am going to buy a DSO. Same dilemma - cheaper Rigol, discontinued scope or newer Siglent.  Still wavering a bit.  One thing the SDS1104XE doesn't look to be hackable up to 200 mhz based on the Dave video from last week (ADCs' speed).  The SDS1204XE is more ($649??) and a bit beyond my willingness to pay. I'd be ok spending $500 though $328 for the Rigol is pretty enticing.

Having used a Tek 2225 for the last 15 years makes buying a discontinued item pretty easy. It had long been discontinued when I bought it and has worked out well.

Offline adauphinTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2018, 01:04:12 am »
Ok, small bump here....I'm going to pull the trigger this weekend. I started to look into my 7.1 HT/Stereo pre-amp and I wish I had a new digital unit. I'm sure I can use my 465B but I really want a new one.

Moving forward from December, is the 1054 still the one to get? My budget is $600 max, but would like to realistically be around $500 but can reach if it comes down to extra probes or a signal generator.

I've looked at the Siglent 1204 X-E, I think that if I wanted to go beyond the 1054Z, then that would be the step worth taking.....am I correct to assume this? So it's either the Rigol 1054Z, or jump to the 1204...is there an in between scope worth looking at? Just covering my bases.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:16:51 am by adauphin »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2018, 01:23:40 am »
Ok, small bump here....I'm going to pull the trigger this weekend. I started to look into my 7.1 HT/Stereo pre-amp and I wish I had a new digital unit. I'm sure I can use my 465B but I really want a new one.

Moving forward from December, is the 1054 still the one to get? My budget is $600 max, but would like to realistically be around $500 but can reach if it comes down to extra probes or a signal generator.

I've looked at the Siglent 1204 X-E, I think that if I wanted to go beyond the 1054Z, then that would be the step worth taking.....am I correct to assume this? So it's either the Rigol 1054Z, or jump to the 1204...is there an in between scope worth looking at? Just covering my bases.

Thanks again.
Since December there a whole lot more info available for the SDS1004X-E models, have you studied that ?
Even the 1104X-E with all channels used has 2x the sampling rate of a 1054Z and if you do the study you'll see the same amount of memory.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2018, 01:42:11 am »
Since December there a whole lot more info available for the SDS1004X-E models, have you studied that ?
Even the 1104X-E with all channels used has 2x the sampling rate of a 1054Z and if you do the study you'll see the same amount of memory.

I have not researched those since Dec....I figure the texh changes so rapidly I figured I would ask. Any models in particular I shpuld check?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2018, 02:00:14 am »

I have not researched those since Dec....I figure the texh changes so rapidly I figured I would ask. Any models in particular I shpuld check?
The most cost effective is SDS1104X-E @ $ 499 but there's a shortage of supply ATM due to demand.
Have a look here as this thread has the best info anywhere about them:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/

As you're US based you can get in the cue for one at Saelig where they'll have them in a few weeks and you can get an additional 6% discount from the Saelig discount thread.
Good luck.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2018, 09:29:23 am »
I've looked at the Siglent 1204 X-E, I think that if I wanted to go beyond the 1054Z, then that would be the step worth taking.....
Sounds about right.

So it's either the Rigol 1054Z, or jump to the 1204...is there an in between scope worth looking at?
No.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:14:00 am by Fungus »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2018, 11:05:34 am »

Buy the Rigol DS1054Z-B from tequipment.net, you can also get a 6% discount off this price by requesting a code from the forum here that deals with the matter.

I just bought the DS1054Z (refurbished) after RMAing my SDS1202X-E because Siglent wouldn't honor the warranty for the probe compensation issue (I still haven't been refunded but I'm told "the check's in the mail").  My DS1054Z was simply an open box item with all the probes etc. you can pay $50 more and get the non-refurb if you prefer.  You'll get 4 channels (needed for proper SPI decoding), free official decoding, and easy bandwidth increase (via Riglol) up to 100 MHz (mine performs well at 150 MHz) for under $300 shipped.  The firmware in the DS1054Z is pretty much debugged unlike some newer low end scopes.

Protocol decoding in scopes is overrated; an analog scope (with 4 channels) is best to look at signal integrity plus being able to trigger of the serial stream is useful, but once you know the signals are good, you need something like a Salae Logic 16 to do proper analysis of the bus traffic.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2018, 11:13:26 am »
... Not sure if mine has any missing caps yet   :o  but at least Siglent and some/few/many? seller/agents are contactable and keen to sort out issues:-+
That has NOT been my experience when dealing with Siglent America, they stated that my SDS1202X-E scope with the compensation issue was "in specification" and that it was reasonable to expect a user to re-do probe compensation after every change the Y gain setting - to be fair to them, they did eventually agree to give me my money back but I had to fight for that and I still haven't received the check and they received my RMA'd unit nearly 2 weeks ago.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2018, 11:15:41 am »

I don't know if has been mentioned before but the MicSig TO1104 is also a good option when looking for a 4 channel 100MHz scope. It is a step up from the the Rigol 1054Z, has the biggest screen of all (800x600) in this price range and it has mature firmware so it works as advertised.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:17:25 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2018, 11:26:53 am »
I just bought the DS1054Z (refurbished) after RMAing my SDS1202X-E because Siglent wouldn't honor the warranty for the probe compensation issue

Also known as the "Ooops, we forgot a couple of vital capacitors!" issue.

... Not sure if mine has any missing caps yet   :o  but at least Siglent and some/few/many? seller/agents are contactable and keen to sort out issues:-+
That has NOT been my experience when dealing with Siglent America, they stated that my SDS1202X-E scope with the compensation issue was "in specification" and that it was reasonable to expect a user to re-do probe compensation after every change the Y gain setting

People may get fancy treatment if they have a local office and regularly go and spend money there. Random hobbyist who bought online? Not so much.

Some forum members have persisted and Siglent sent them a couple of extra capacitors in the post to hand-solder to the PCB.  :-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2018, 11:34:19 am »

It's still a firm EEVBLOG favorite and with all the discounts flying around you might end up close to $325.

Siglents may still have issues, both hardware and software. I wouldn't buy one if I wasn't 100% sure it was fresh off the production line. It may have some missing components if it's been on a shelf for a couple of months.  :scared:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:39:43 am by Fungus »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2018, 11:58:01 am »
Also known as the "Ooops, we forgot a couple of vital capacitors!" issue.

People may get fancy treatment if they have a local office and regularly go and spend money there. Random hobbyist who bought online? Not so much.
I was amazed that they claimed (still do) that missing components off the PCB, components that are now fitted on newer scopes, was not a bug - kinda like Microsoft's "it's not a bug, it's a feature!"

Don't write us off as "random hobbyists", we are paying customers and we deserve to be treated fairly.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2018, 01:13:02 pm »
Don't write us off as "random hobbyists", we are paying customers and we deserve to be treated fairly.

Yep.

nb. I'm not singling out Siglent for this behavior, most companies seem to be like this.

There's a bunch of people in these forums who don't see why problems can't be solved by a simple phone call to the local office.

(and why you can't get a replacement sent the same day!)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:33:42 pm by Fungus »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2018, 01:23:29 pm »
Yes. One part of my job is brow beating vendors into fixing shit. You’d be surprised how dismissive and difficult companies are to get simple shit fixed. It pays to skip the local reps most of the time, scan LinkedIn and use a bit of social engineering to get hold of an actual engineer. They care and can feed back to the process without going through OEM and sales.

Apart from Keysight. Keysight are fucking amazing.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2018, 01:43:38 pm »
Apart from Keysight. Keysight are fucking amazing.

I don't have personal experience with them, but: I think I'm right in saying that Keysight are the only company who've made the effort to have an active presence in these forms.

(a presence which doesn't collapse in tears after a few astroturf posts).

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2018, 01:50:39 pm »
Yep exactly that. Also Keysight spares. Phoned up local rep to get two knobs for a 22 year old HP branded supply. Someone who knew arse from elbow answered, located stock, took payment and sent them to me as if it was a £10k order. It was a £2 order. And they forgot to charge me VAT  :-DD

Next scope I buy will be Keysight.

• Supporter
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:53 pm »
Order placed on the 1054Z..... :-+ Software bundle included and I added a 50 ohm adapter. Thanks for all the input!

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline TechnoTroll

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2018, 10:38:23 am »
The 1054Z 1104Z is a great scope, you made the right decision. Google 'Riglol'

Online Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2018, 01:28:37 pm »
Order placed on the 1054Z..... :-+ Software bundle included and I added a 50 ohm adapter. Thanks for all the input!
Right now the lowest price 4 channel Keysight scope I can find costs $1900. I wonder if they will try to get into the market with Rigol & Siglent, though not necessarily at that price point. If they could do one at $800 that would get my attention.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf