Author Topic: Looking to purchase scope, torn between models  (Read 11048 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking to purchase scope, torn between models
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 05:58:07 pm »
Indeed. I'm actually using my recently acquired Tek 2225 a lot recently instead of my Rigol. The noise is horrific at low signal levels on the Rigol and the jitter isn't that great either. The 2225 noise isn't that great either but it's easier to see through it. An hour of pissing around with the averaging, trace persistence, sample rate etc got me nowhere on the Rigol. 2225 - turn intensity down :)

For the money though, it was a pretty good bit of kit. Still I don't think you can beat it for value for money. It does most of what it is supposed to do very well as long as you don't push the envelope at all. Or actually look near the envelope :)

It is however getting shot in the head by a Keysight scope next year.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:00:08 pm by bd139 »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 12:43:24 pm »
Indeed. I'm actually using my recently acquired Tek 2225 a lot recently instead of my Rigol. The noise is horrific at low signal levels on the Rigol and the jitter isn't that great either.

If noise and jitter were amazing on the Rigol then there wouldn't be more expensive 'scopes on the market. $350 would be good enough for everybody.  :-//

Still I don't think you can beat it for value for money. It does most of what it is supposed to do very well

Exactly. If you draw a scatter graph of bang vs. buck then the DS1054Z stands out by a mile. For the last three years you had to spend $1000 to get something with more overall bang (mostly due to the DS10954Z's hackability).

Since last week that $1000 is down to $500 and we're all winners! Thanks, Siglent! People who need more than the Rigol finally have an option. :-+

But ... 40% more money is still a lot more and the Rigol is still more oscilloscope than most hobbyists will ever need. Most oscilloscope work is just looking at wiggly lines on screen and the Rigol delivers just fine in that department.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 02:13:13 pm »
Hi, been trying to find the source, do you have a link to the info?  :)
Gone for good

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 02:29:18 pm »

As in mine is being replaced with a Keysight unit.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »

Which Keysight do you see as a replacement or alternative to the 1054Z or the Siglent 100Mhz 4 ch version?

BTW I paid $125 shipped for my 2225. I had to put in a used front panel board that cost another $45. A great little scope, quick to turn on and get a trace with minimum bells and whistles. I have a 475 for that but the 2225 is easier for most stuff.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 07:33:36 pm »

Which Keysight do you see as a replacement or alternative to the 1054Z or the Siglent 100Mhz 4 ch version?

BTW I paid $125 shipped for my 2225. I had to put in a used front panel board that cost another $45. A great little scope, quick to turn on and get a trace with minimum bells and whistles. I have a 475 for that but the 2225 is easier for most stuff.

I'm probably going for the 4 channel 200MHz Keysight unit. I haven't decided if I need the MSO option yet. Actually I need to see how ape shit my wife will go when I spend that much on a scope :D

I paid £49 for my 2225. It arrived with a smashed foot and a dead power supply. Repaired it and good as new now  :-+

I had a 475 and a 465B recently. Both dead on arrival for less than £30. I like repairing scopes so I buy dead ones. Threads here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-465b-repair-97327/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-475-repair-assistance/

If you know what you're doing there are a lot of good bits of kit out there for literally no cash!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:37:02 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:37 pm »
Siglent USA will not provide any support for the known "compensation issue" per my recent communication from them.  If you decide to buy a Siglent, make sure you check the serial numbers carefully, otherwise, you'll be SOL.  I thought they were a good company who supported their products but I was wrong.  I would stay away from any Siglent product...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 08:26:32 pm »
Yeah that sort of attitude is nail in coffin for me buying a product.

Going the other way I ordered two knobs for a 23 year old power supply from Keysight the other day for under $5 including shipping...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 08:32:25 pm »
I'm probably going for the 4 channel 200MHz Keysight unit. I haven't decided if I need the MSO option yet. Actually I need to see how ape shit my wife will go when I spend that much on a scope :D
I think you need to buy something nice for your wife as well which costs equally as much. My wife hates it when I buy things for myself even if I use them to make a living!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:06 pm »

I paid £49 for my 2225. It arrived with a smashed foot and a dead power supply. Repaired it and good as new now  :-+

I had a 475 and a 465B recently. Both dead on arrival for less than £30. I like repairing scopes so I buy dead ones. Threads here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-465b-repair-97327/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-475-repair-assistance/

If you know what you're doing there are a lot of good bits of kit out there for literally no cash!

Ah thanks, thought they had a new scope coming. Hmm, mine would probably kill me LOL
Gone for good

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 08:49:55 pm »
They only kill you if you tell them how much it cost :)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 11:34:50 pm »
I think you need to buy something nice for your wife as well which costs equally as much. My wife hates it when I buy things for myself even if I use them to make a living!
I think she got a haircut of more than 200 pounds the other day. She should still be sitting pretty.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 01:28:36 am »
I would tell the lady treasurer that instead of a 200 quid hairdo, nail job
handbag, Botox, massage, jewellery, girlfriends catchup/meetup/dineup/boozeup/trinket showoff/ BS blab/backstab/b!tch session

-Thrifty Guy- instead bought some gear that may/will bring money in... and do the equivalent male makeover thing next time around   ::)    minus the girlfriend catchup of course! (hmmm...   :bullshit:)

----------------------

FWIW: Siglent sorted out my 4ch boot up splash screen issue after a -half baked firmware- update and weird documentation. They sent me a file that fixed the issue after a few emails explaining what was going on.

Not sure if mine has any missing caps yet   :o  but at least Siglent and some/few/many? seller/agents are contactable and keen to sort out issues.  :-+

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:43 am »
Well I used to say this about guns and guitars, but now it is carrying over to scopes. My fear is that I will die and she will sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it. :)
Hardly original, but true.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 09:50:54 am »
Don't freak out about that  :scared: 

Nowadays they can easily check and value the gear on the internet and get top dollar for the guns, guitars and scopes 

TBH: if I was a grieving widow, I'd keep a couple of the guns loaded and handy for those times when the local predator thugs pop in for some easy single old person rainy day cash

and help the @ssholes celebrate their LAST day on Earth     :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 11:09:38 am »
Well I used to say this about guns and guitars, but now it is carrying over to scopes. My fear is that I will die and she will sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it. :)

We can cover that for you, no problem.

Just set up an automated system that posts her contact details and a list of equipment in these forums...  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:23:12 am by Fungus »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »
How about instead getting a 200 GBP haircut yourself next time? I'm quite curious what the wife will make of that. Maybe get some glitter on your temples too.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:06 pm »
Don't freak out about that  :scared: 

Nowadays they can easily check and value the gear on the internet and get top dollar for the guns, guitars and scopes 

TBH: if I was a grieving widow, I'd keep a couple of the guns loaded and handy for those times when the local predator thugs pop in for some easy single old person rainy day cash

and help the @ssholes celebrate their LAST day on Earth     :clap: :clap: :clap:

I live in south Florida, not much crime here.
Electronics is just a hobby for me, my day job is tail gunner on a bread truck :)

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »
Typos ?
4ch X-E is 1104X-E or 1204X-E

Sorry....yes, I had a few models I was researching and entered the wrong one.

Thank you for the links.
Here's another and a very good deal on a SDS2204 from Siglent in Ohio but you'd need to be quicker than quick.
https://store.siglentamerica.com/product-category/clearance/

The SDS2204 is a 4 ch 200 mhz scope for a very good price, but it is discontinued. I am a newbe and buying something that is already discontinued troubles me. For the foreseeable future a 1054Z is probably all the scope I will ever need, but I have this thing about the latest and most current technology. Could someone shed some light on why this model range has been discontinued?

Sorry for back top back posts.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:01:31 pm by Old Printer »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 05:13:08 pm »
Typos ?
4ch X-E is 1104X-E or 1204X-E

Sorry....yes, I had a few models I was researching and entered the wrong one.

Thank you for the links.
Here's another and a very good deal on a SDS2204 from Siglent in Ohio but you'd need to be quicker than quick.
https://store.siglentamerica.com/product-category/clearance/

The SDS2204 is a 4 ch 200 mhz scope for a very good price, but it is discontinued. I am a newbe and buying something that is already discontinued troubles me. For the foreseeable future a 1054Z is probably all the scope I will ever need, but I have this thing about the latest and most current technology. Could someone shed some light on why this model range has been discontinued?

Sorry for back top back posts.
The quoted posts retain context, don't be shy about including them.  ;)

It ran alongside the upgraded model for a few years but those that would look at this class of DSO would shell out the little more for the better polished 2000X series. Capabilities are very similar. 2Gsa/s in both series but the X has 140 Mpts mem depth, twice the 2k series. I've had both as personal units and for the price I'd grab that 2204 in an instant.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 05:23:19 pm »
Could someone shed some light on why this model range has been discontinued?

Because they have a newer model which is cheaper to produce thanks to more modern components.

More importantly: So do their competitors...!

for the price I'd grab that 2204 in an instant.

I won't disagree. It's a beast. Some people around here would kill just for the 4 separate channel controls.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:25:19 pm by Fungus »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 05:28:19 pm »

Because they have a newer model which is cheaper to produce thanks to more modern components.
Absolute BS.

There are more expensive components in 2000X models than 2000 series.
MSO connector and 2x memory.

The 2kX models will outperform X-E in many tasks.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 05:48:46 pm »

Absolute BS.

There are more expensive components in 2000X models than 2000 series.

So? If an individual chip costs more but enables more integration then it still lowers the overall price. What's the chip count on the two PCBs?

MSO connector and 2x memory.

$1000+ for those?

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 05:58:00 pm »
If you have the funds, the 1074Z Plus may be kind of a better shot, as after Riglol you get a full MSO1104Z-S (the highest end DS1000Z.)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2017, 06:00:39 pm »
The 2kX models will outperform X-E in many tasks.
I'm pretty sure the SDS2000(X) will not outperform the latest Siglent scopes with the 1GHz ARM CPU under the hood. The only thing the SDS2000(X) series has going for them is the slightly bigger screen and individual channel controls. For the rest they are completely outdated so the SDS2204 Tautech linked to is in fact a bad deal. If I had to choose between the two I'd get the new SDS1204X-E because it costs little more and has much more going for it (including a better chance on the firmware getting finished).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:06:27 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf