Author Topic: Looking for a power supply that can measure charge/energy delivered to a load  (Read 1145 times)

Offline AleksTopic starter

• Contributor
Hey all,

When dealing with batteries/cells, quite often one needs to measure the delivered charge (Ah) or energy (Wh) when charging them. Does anyone know of a power supply that has this feature built in? Ideally you press a button "measure Ah/Wh" and it starts measuring on its own.

I know that this can be implemented with most digitally-controlled power supplies via communication, but I'm looking for something stand-alone, not to be required to drag my laptop every time I want to make a measurement like this  :)

Cheerio!
Aleks
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:46:08 am by Aleks »

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
When dealing with batteries/cells, quite often one needs to measure the delivered charge (Ah) or energy (Wh) when charging them. Does anyone know of a power supply that has this feature built in? Ideally you press a button "measure Ah/Wh" and it starts measuring on its own.

I know that this can be implemented with most digitally-controlled power supplies via communication, but I'm looking for something stand-alone, not to be required to drag my laptop every time I want to make a measurement like this  :)

If you need it for for private hobby projects: The RIDEN RD supplies provide a couple of charging related features and have an Ah / Wh counter. But personally I wouldn't use it for professional purposes.

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Cymaphore

Offline AleksTopic starter

• Contributor
Thank you both for the replies!

I'm mostly considering such a thing for a professional environment, so the RIDEN RD supplies can be used, but to a limited capacity... So not for anything that requires high confidence in the measurements. This would most certainly limit their use cases..

I took a look at Keysight's communication DC sources, thanks to pointing them out xmo! I now see that I forgot to mention the basic specs that I have in mind, which are 30V/10A for the power supply. So we something in the 300W+ range. The communication DC sources are still usable, albeit the tests would require longer time.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
The simplest solution, if that works for you, is to use USB power meters (for example, https://www.ebay.com/itm/154364896996 Most of these measure Wh/Ah and perform in 3-30V range. Mains power meters exist as well.
Other option would be to use more advanced charger with Wh/Ah display (look in RC hobby community for chargers) as you mentioned battery charging as a main goal.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
The R&S HMC8043 will do Wh/ mWh on all channels. 1mWh resolution
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
Is a standalone powermeter not more versatile. You then can use every PSU you like and they often can log too
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
If you have an electronic DC load that has a battery discharge feature, you can set it for maximum current and connect it in series between your battery and charging supply.  It will keep track of the Ah (but not Wh).

It's two boxes, so it's not quite stand-alone, but it doesn't need a laptop.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
If you have an electronic DC load that has a battery discharge feature, you can set it for maximum current and connect it in series between your battery and charging supply.  It will keep track of the Ah (but not Wh).
Rigol DL3000 in battery app mode tracks both Ah and Wh. With sense wires it could work and be accurate.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
A cheap solution can be a panel meter that can do that: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002065570217.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.14c63b8ch3vb7b&algo_pvid=148733e2-c959-4839-8e9d-7cb6bc84dc20&algo_exp_id=148733e2-c959-4839-8e9d-7cb6bc84dc20-2 .

Precision is not great, and also there is a drop on the shunt (can be compensated with remote sensing). But hey, it's cheap :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf