Author Topic: Looking for a bench multimeter  (Read 18092 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Looking for a bench multimeter
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 01:45:30 am »
I have an HP 34401A and a Keithley 2700. Both great instruments.

When shopping for a used 34401A, note that the first generation of front panel uses a VFD driver chip that is no longer produced. Later units have a newer display assembly with a different driver. Also, the newer display assembly is not compatible with the older motherboard.

Older display assembly: 34401-66502
Newer display assembly: 34401-66512

The change occurred sometime during serial number 3146Axxxxx. These units have all red terminals (not black and red). However, not all models with all-red terminals have the old display assembly. So, it can be hard to spot them without looking inside.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 06:19:24 pm »
If buying used the 34401A does seem like an excellent option, if buying new I'd aim for the 34461A. I know I quite like mine.
The possibilities to make graphs on the 34461A (and similar Keysight models) is very appealing. Dave has shown this in some of his videos. Ofcourse you can do the same on a PC and control the DMM remotely but I like/prefer equipment which is self-contained.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline unimorpheusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 01:09:18 pm »
Wow, thanks to everyone for your valuable insight and information. I have been looking at some of the used equipment recommendations but having just resolved a bad eBay oscilloscope buy I am pretty skeptical about some of these sellers "fully functional" claims. I know the answer here, you really need to know the equipment you are considering at a very low level. Unfortunately that is not always possible with equipment you can't get your hands on the gear until after the purchase, which is why I was reaching out to the forum and you guys came through. I have learned a considerable bit about old Tektronix scopes so there is value in that which can justify the money spent.

Offline unimorpheusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 01:14:40 pm »
...To be honest, they are more of a good 5.5 digit meter that displays and extra random number when asked than a true 6.5 digit meter

I don't know why but that is just too funny.  :clap:

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:38 pm »
Wow, thanks to everyone for your valuable insight and information. I have been looking at some of the used equipment recommendations but having just resolved a bad eBay oscilloscope buy I am pretty skeptical about some of these sellers "fully functional" claims.
If you need something second hand which works then you should buy from a seller offering at least a one month warranty and don't give feedback until the warranty period is over. It also helps to check serial numbers and see how old it is. I rather not buy equipment which is over 15 years old.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 02:08:14 pm »
...To be honest, they are more of a good 5.5 digit meter that displays and extra random number when asked than a true 6.5 digit meter

I don't know why but that is just too funny.  :clap:

When you look at the accuracy specs of most high end multimeters then the last digit doesn't mean much. That resolution can be useful for analyzing drift, but in 6.5 digit mode the 7150plus only updates every 6 seconds. With something like a 34461 or a K2000 then you could get an extra order of resolution by remote sampling over the same timeframe.

For most hobbyists it provides more than enough accuracy, the schematics are available and at a third of price of a 34401 or a K2000 then it's an attractive option.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 12:20:07 pm »
I have an HP 34401A and a Keithley 2700. Both great instruments.
The local auction site has a Keithley 2700 going for about $300 at the moment. Is this model a good choice as a general bench meter? (I've got a Keithley 197, and it works great, but the non-backlit LCD drives me nuts, I want something with a bright, clear display.)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 04:41:29 am »
The K2700 is a K2000 with two slots for scanner cards. So, it's an excellent bench meter and can support measuring up to 80 devices depending on which cards you get (there are also cards for matrixing devices together).

Since it uses a VFD, the display contrast can be excellent, depending on how much it has faded from use. The digits, however, aren't as large as on the HP 34401A/34410A/34411A.

$300 is a good price, especially if it includes at least one scanner card.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 07:09:07 am »
No diode measurement and no dB from the panel, but a huge data buffer (55,000).
300$ is a good price, if the unit is in good nick.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:09:53 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 01:27:58 pm »
The K2700 is a K2000 with two slots for scanner cards. So, it's an excellent bench meter and can support measuring up to 80 devices depending on which cards you get (there are also cards for matrixing devices together).

Since it uses a VFD, the display contrast can be excellent, depending on how much it has faded from use. The digits, however, aren't as large as on the HP 34401A/34410A/34411A.

$300 is a good price, especially if it includes at least one scanner card.

No diode measurement and no dB from the panel, but a huge data buffer.
300$ is a good price, if the unit is in good nick.

Doesn't seem to include any cards. (Not that I need that in any way; I just want an easy-to-read meter that doesn't use up bench space the way a handheld meter does...)

Here's the listing: https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/handwerk-und-garten/elektrowerkzeuge/messen/tisch-multimeter-von-keithley/v/an886253932/

I can't quite tell how good condition the display there is in. The unit as a whole looks decent, as far as I can tell by the shitty photos.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 01:52:24 pm »
Cosmetically, it looks fine. I would ask him to run the self test to make sure internals are ok too. Those cards are expensive and seldom included.
As a bonus, you get the 4-wire thermal EMF compensation and the buffer Max-Min, which the 2000 doesn't have.

The display looks bright enough with image auto correction:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:11:24 pm by Wytnucls »

Offline bobaru

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 04:46:12 pm »
Here is a nice meter worth considering.   It is a used Keithley 2015 6.5 digit bench meter with a VFD.  The VFD is easy to read, but as a principle I don't like them because they dim as they age.   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEITHLEY-2015-6-1-2-Digit-THD-Audio-MultiMeter-fully-tested-w-warranty-/371582307445?hash=item5684080c75:g:2IsAAOSwSdZWfBdP

The seller is offering it as fully tested with warranty.    I purchased one of these a couple of months ago and love it.   One of the nice features is the built-in audio generator and the ability to measure THD making it a nice meter for audio work.   Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the seller, just a satisfied customer.

-bob

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »
Yeah, the problem is that shipping and customs on that will drive up the price a lot.

Offline bobaru

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 07:19:38 pm »
I just checked my purchase history.   There was no customs charge and $19.95 shipping to Maryland.

-bob

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 08:28:47 pm »
Why not grab one of the GW Insteks from the ITT closure?  I got one for $90 USD and it looks like it was hardly used.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 08:45:48 pm »
Grab the Keithley 2700. It is a nice meter that boots super quick and has no fan. The continuity tester is also excellent in it, you get to specify the exact resistance you want it to alert below and it is very responsive.
VE7FM

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 09:35:57 pm »
I just checked my purchase history.   There was no customs charge and $19.95 shipping to Maryland.

-bob
Yes, but shipping to Switzerland would be a lot more, and Swiss customs will charge 8% tax on the value (item+shipping), plus a processing fee. It adds up fast.

(Where in MD, by the way? I lived in the Baltimore area for about a decade!)

Grab the Keithley 2700. It is a nice meter that boots super quick and has no fan. The continuity tester is also excellent in it, you get to specify the exact resistance you want it to alert below and it is very responsive.
I let the auction end (with no bids!) since the seller didn't respond to my question about whether it's in full working order yet. It's been extended by another 2 weeks now.

Offline bobaru

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 09:58:10 pm »

-bob
Yes, but shipping to Switzerland would be a lot more, and Swiss customs will charge 8% tax on the value (item+shipping), plus a processing fee. It adds up fast.

(Where in MD, by the way? I lived in the Baltimore area for about a decade!) 

Hi,

DC area, just inside the beltway.   Been in the area since '73.    As for the customs amount I was thinking in terms of the OP.   Yes, you would probably pay a large penalty to ship and import to you.   On the other hand I believe the MSRP on this unit was around $4800 so it really is a bargain!  :)

-bob
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:01:38 pm by bobaru »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 09:48:55 am »
DC area, just inside the beltway.   Been in the area since '73.    As for the customs amount I was thinking in terms of the OP.   Yes, you would probably pay a large penalty to ship and import to you.   On the other hand I believe the MSRP on this unit was around $4800 so it really is a bargain!  :)
Oh cool! My aunt used to live in Silver Spring, and her letting me move in with her when I returned from Switzerland is how I ended up in MD to begin with! <3

As for the 2015, another forum member here has a 2015 he'd be willing to part with for less than what it'd cost for shipping and customs for the eBay one, so if the Prema 5017 I'm looking at doesn't work out for me, I'll grab it or the 2700. (I had even considered getting a 2015 and shipping it to my friend's in Crofton for me to take back the next time I visit, as I did with the Keysight 1252Bs I got.)

Offline bobaru

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 08:14:37 pm »
It looks like the seller sold out of all 99 of the previously linked meters.    I just checked and they still have in stock the same meter but with rack ears for 25 dollars more.  Once again, I have no affiliation with the seller except for being a satisfied customer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEITHLEY-2015-6-1-2-Digit-THD-Audio-MultiMeter-fully-tested-w-warranty-/371553124387?hash=item56824ac023:g:a4oAAOSwWTRWvjsh

-bob

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 09:46:41 pm »
I decided to go with the 2015 from another forum member. Ends up cheaper than shipping + import fees from USA.

Offline bobaru

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:29 pm »
I decided to go with the 2015 from another forum member. Ends up cheaper than shipping + import fees from USA.

Good deal!   I think you will like it.   

-bob

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 01:29:37 am »

Good deal!   I think you will like it.   

-bob
I think I will!

As for good deals... look in the Prema discussion above, MadTux scored the Datron 1271 for $50!! (Now with pix!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf