Author Topic: LED Strips to Replace CFL Tubes in TDS3000 Series scopes  (Read 879 times)

Offline daveykTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
LED Strips to Replace CFL Tubes in TDS3000 Series scopes
« on: August 07, 2021, 05:33:46 pm »
Does anyone have good experience with LED replacement of the CFL Tubes in a Tek TDS3000 series scope?

I work on an instrument that uses the same display.  It is commonplace for the instrument to be dropped and the tubes broken.  The source of the replacement tubes has run dry for the most part, and an LED upgrade would so much nicer, maybe.

Can anyone point me to a driver PCB and LED Strip that is appropriate for these displays?  Without looking, the DFL tubes are about 6" long.  They are dim-able in the instrument in use, but that capability could be eliminated if need be.

There are probably numerous options, but I would prefer experience and not have to engineer a solution from scratch.  At least point me towards parts that should work - lol.

Thanks

Offline daveykTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: LED Strips to Replace CFL Tubes in TDS3000 Series scopes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 06:46:35 pm »
On my own, I found this:

https://store.lcdparts.net/UB35160LED3220X2MS610UB-for-65%E2%80%9D-Dual-Lamp-LCD-Screen_p_4548.html

With shipping, this is a $170 solution (and I did order one kit).  For what I use it for, that is acceptable, but I would bet a lot cheaper solutions are around.  I just have never used strips of LED lights and do not know how to order to match up with a driver PCB.  Are the LEDs typically all in parallel or series, or a combination of both?

I would like to find a roll of LED strips that can be cut and and wired to and then a driver PCB.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 07:41:48 pm »
I picked up some LED strips with drivers (yet to be needed) from Aliexpress a couple of years ago, maybe have a browse around there.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 08:55:49 pm »
On my own, I found this:

https://store.lcdparts.net/UB35160LED3220X2MS610UB-for-65%E2%80%9D-Dual-Lamp-LCD-Screen_p_4548.html

With shipping, this is a $170 solution (and I did order one kit).  For what I use it for, that is acceptable, but I would bet a lot cheaper solutions are around.  I just have never used strips of LED lights and do not know how to order to match up with a driver PCB.  Are the LEDs typically all in parallel or series, or a combination of both?

I would like to find a roll of LED strips that can be cut and and wired to and then a driver PCB.
These are horribly expensive!

Buy something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271944994132

But be aware that you'll need to adjust the current sensing resistor if you are cutting LEDs from the strip AND determine how many LEDs are in series; you can't cut an arbitrary number of LEDs! I have used similar strips in (IIRC) two or three TFT screens and they work like a charm.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 08:57:52 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 10:06:20 pm »
About 8 years ago I replaced the backlight in a friend's Toshiba Libretto subnotebook with LED strips. I bought a generic retrofit kit, I think it was about $20 and I had to trim the length of the strips to size but overall it was fairly straightforward. It looked good and as far as I know it's still working.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf