Author Topic: Used Siglent SDS1104X-E off of Amazon, good deal or run away?  (Read 3498 times)

Offline DriftlessNetTopic starter

• Contributor
Having missed the prime day deals I was looking around and found on Amazon a Siglent SDS1104X-E for $375.00. The catch is it is a Open Box return and the description said it will be shipped in original box but the "box will be damaged". Since it is covered with the standard Amazon 30-day return window I took a gamble and ordered it, it should be here by Thursday. Hopefully it is was just a buyers remorse return, but because it is now technically used I don't believe it will have any remaining manufacturers warranty.

So I will obviously want to give this thing a good going over before the return period expires. I been reading up on some guides and watching various videos, but was wondering if anyone has specific things I should be looking at and/or testing for scopes in general and/or this specific scope.

My biggest obstacle to in-depth testing will be that I am just in the early stages of assembling a proper bench, so will have little other gear to work with. I have had experience in the past with scopes and electronics, but that has been some years ago before digital scopes became the norm.

Things I plan to check so far include:
  • Physical inspection, looking for obvious damage, missing labels/signs of being opened, stains, that it powers up, any smells or strange noises, etc.
  • As part of power on it appears this scope does a system self test, so I will note if anything shows up there.
  • It also seem there is a built in compensation signal output terminal outputting a 1khz square wave to adjust the probes with, I can use this on all 4 channels to make sure basic functionality is present.
  • In the utility menu, it seems there is also an interactive self test that verifies operation of the screen, keys and controls, and the all the LEDs/backlights.
  • Verify LAN and web-server functionality.
  • Read from/Write to USB drive
  • In Utility>System you can also check if the FW is the latest version and the # of previous boot cycles. - Thanks tautech
  • Check Serial # with Siglent to determine warranty status. - Thanks tautech and rf-loop

So any additions to check out during its "test drive" will be appreciated, as well as to people's overall thoughts on buying so-called "used" test equipment from Amazon. Part of me is thinking it is a deal at $125 off retail if everything checks out, but the lack of warranty after the 30 days does have me a but worried.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 07:30:07 am by DriftlessNet »

The following users thanked this post: dencyaupin

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Used Siglent SDS1104X-E off of Amazon, good deal or run away?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 05:45:04 am »
In Utility>System you can also check if the FW is the latest version and the # of previous boot cycles.
If its ownership can be traced and/or you contact Siglent NA with the SN# you can check on its warranty status which is based on original production date for NA sales so I believe.

Good buy !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 05:57:18 am »
Hopefully it is was just a buyers remorse return, but because it is now technically used I don't believe it will have any remaining manufacturers warranty.

... but the lack of warranty after the 30 days does have me a but worried.

"but because it is now technically used I don't believe it will have any remaining manufacturers warranty."

Please read carefully this> https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/warranty-information/

Specially position 3.
Imho, "used" itself do not mean automatically factory warranty cancellation.

I do not know Siglent NA policy but perhaps when it arrive take serial number and ask from Siglent NA how they handle it in possible case of problems. They must know because they know every serial number what they have forwarded from factory to distributors. But I do not know anything if they want do this work for check its status of warranty. This is partially important question because more and more also Siglent instruments are in second hand markets, some may change hobby and some may upgrade example to more powerful Siglent instrument and then sell not so old one. If owner change after half year, how it cancel factory warranty if there is not statement that warranty is woid if owner change.  ;)

(I have informed in my homeland, Finland, peoples that if they sell they used instrument to other people, then please give also original receipt where is full data with serial number etc to this new owner.)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:12:18 am by rf-loop »
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline antimatter503

• Contributor
  • Ion Implantation Equipment Engineer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 06:40:16 am »
I bought my siglent scope off amazon in used condition / damaged box but shipped from amazon and when it arrived only the box was damaged on the corner it had not even been opened before. All plastic factory sealed same with accessories. Also bought a power supply like this too and same thing. I assumed they had to sell as used if the box was damaged somehow but maybe I just got lucky twice in a row 4 months apart.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 06:57:51 am »
In Utility>System you can also check if the FW is the latest version and the # of previous boot cycles.
If its ownership can be traced and/or you contact Siglent NA with the SN# you can check on its warranty status which is based on original production date for NA sales so I believe.

Good buy !

Thanks for the info! I will check it out when the scope arrives.

"but because it is now technically used I don't believe it will have any remaining manufacturers warranty."

Please read carefully this> https://siglentna.com/service-and-support/warranty-information/

Specially position 3.
Imho, "used" itself do not mean automatically factory warranty cancellation.

I do not know Siglent NA policy but perhaps when it arrive take serial number and ask from Siglent NA how they handle it in possible case of problems. They must know because they know every serial number what they have forwarded from factory to distributors. But I do not know anything if they want do this work for check its status of warranty. This is partially important question because more and more also Siglent instruments are in second hand markets, some may change hobby and some may upgrade example to more powerful Siglent instrument and then sell not so old one. If owner change after half year, how it cancel factory warranty if there is not statement that warranty is woid if owner change.  ;)

Yeah, that would be nice but I am not sure. I was looking over Amazon's policy which said that since it is considered used the manufacturers warranty does not apply. That may just be a general statement and each manufacturer of course is free to choose to honor it or not. Guess I will do as you and the other poster above suggested and check the serial number with manufacturer once I receive it.

I bought my siglent scope off amazon in used condition / damaged box but shipped from amazon and when it arrived only the box was damaged on the corner it had not even been opened before. All plastic factory sealed same with accessories. Also bought a power supply like this too and same thing. I assumed they had to sell as used if the box was damaged somehow but maybe I just got lucky twice in a row 4 months apart.

Crossing my fingers that this is the case here. The description was a bit vague, but it sounds like the scope was simply returned but the original box was a bit banged up. The description claimed all accessories and everything is included so I am hoping for the best. If it looks like it was hit by a truck I got the 30-day refund windows I guess, but hoping it works out ok like your experiences.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 07:26:00 am by DriftlessNet »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 07:40:34 am »
The description was a bit vague, but it sounds like the scope was simply returned but the original box was a bit banged up. The description claimed all accessories and everything is included so I am hoping for the best. If it looks like it was hit by a truck I got the 30-day refund windows I guess, but hoping it works out ok like your experiences.
Another clue to how much use it has had will be if the probes have yet to be assigned to channels (ID rings) or even if they have yet to be compensated.

If it has low boot #'s and unassigned uncompensated probes you certainly got a good deal.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 11:02:54 am »
Having missed the prime day deals I was looking around and found on Amazon a Siglent SDS1104X-E for $375.00. The catch is it is a Open Box return and the description said it will be shipped in original box but the "box will be damaged".

I've had mixed results with 'like new, box damaged'  from Amazon Warehouse.   They don't test anything.  They don't even do a decent visual inspection.    Roll the dice.   Returns on high value items are slow and I've waited weeks to get my money back. After a few especially bad items, I'm never buying from Warehouse again.

Typical "Used Like New' Box will be damaged"    I can tell from the way the box was damaged and then taped over, this item  had been sold and returned several times. 
1231504-0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 11:12:54 am by Andrew_Debbie »

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 03:46:10 pm »

I've had mixed results with 'like new, box damaged'  from Amazon Warehouse.   They don't test anything.  They don't even do a decent visual inspection.    Roll the dice.   Returns on high value items are slow and I've waited weeks to get my money back. After a few especially bad items, I'm never buying from Warehouse again.

Typical "Used Like New' Box will be damaged"    I can tell from the way the box was damaged and then taped over, this item  had been sold and returned several times. 

Yeah, I know its gamble on this being the case, I will need to wait and see how it looks when it arrives.

It really isn't the obvious damage I am worried about as I will be able to spot that and can return it. I am more concerned if the scope looks ok and passes a basic checkout, but there is hidden damage or a defect I do not notice right away. So that's why I am asking for input on what assessments need to be made, not only physically but also electrically/functionally to identify any potential problems.

I have come across a couple of general used scope buying guides that cover the basics and will be sure to refer to them when I evaluate the scope, but I am also interested in if there is anything specific to this scope (SDS1104X-E) that needs to be checked.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 04:30:16 pm »
Best case you get a sealed box with a damaged corner and everything is perfect.  Siglent packages these pretty well.

Worst case you get some complete box of crap that some random fraudulent buyer has returned.  For example, my scope falls off the bench and now is inop with parts rattling around inside.  So I order a new one, swap them out and 'return' it to Amazon, keeping all the extra probes and accessories as a bonus.  They then sell my wrecked scope to you at a discount.

Based on experience with Amazon Warehouse Deals, I predict there won't be any mystery as to whether you got a deal or not.

As for the warranty, if it looks sealed and new, I'd just register it with Siglent and presume the warranty applies.  You aren't likely to need it, and even if they question the purchase for some reason, the worst case is that the warranty start date gets changed to a few months earlier.  If it looks used and you still want to keep it, you should just ask Siglent if it has been registered and when the warranty start date would be.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 08:59:37 pm »
Just wanted to update the thread as I have now received the scope and it looks like it is in good shape!

It was shipped inside another Amazon box (double boxed) with lots of padding. The actual scope box was beat up in one corner, but no where near what I had envisioned. It also looked like they reinforced it with an extra piece of cardboard inside to cover the damaged section with a lot of packing tape all around. The scope box also has multiple Amazon Inspected stickers indicating they somehow inspected it.

Opening the box everything seemed well packed and in order. The scope itself is supported by two large foam inserts, which allows the scope to float in the center of the box protecting it from all sides, as well as the corners. Since the box damage was just to the box's corner, it looks like the foam supports would have absorbed most of the shock if the box damage was the result of a drop.

Pulling the scope out of the box, it looks to be wrapped in the original plastic from the manufacturer. While it is taped neatly it is hard to tell if this is the factory condition or if it was just repackaged carefully. The scope itself looks to be in good shape at this point, and nothing on the plastic over-wrap or scope itself is sticks out as being a problem.

Unwrapping the scope from the plastic, I again do not notice anything out of the ordinary. There are a few fingerprints on the screen, and also the black plastic feet on the bottom look very slightly scuffed. Overall it looks to be in like new condition and I do not know if these minor details are due to it being unpacked and returned, or simply from the certification process. The attached certification paper show the scope as being calibrated in April of this year, so only about 3 months ago.

(Note: I blacked out the serial, not sure if it matters or not on a public forum, but it looked proper and non-tampered with.)

Above: Factory seal looks intact indicating the unit has not been opened since it left the factory. Also slight scuffing on black feet, not really worried about it other than wondering if the unit was unboxed by another user before being send back.

Since everything was still looking good at this point and seeing nothing else concerning, it was time for the moment of truth. I plugged the scope into the power outlet and holding my breath I pressed the power button. Being relieved there was no explosion or smoke pouring out of the thing, there was just a brief click and the sound of fan noise before the Siglent startup screen appeared. So far so good, at least it seemed to power up ok.

After a few seconds the standard scope screen appeared. So one of the first things I did, eager to make sure it actually works was to hook up a test probe to channel 1 and perform the probe calibration procedure. It looked like the probes were all new and hadn't been used. All 4 probes had the yellow identifying bands on them, not sure if they come that way from the factory or not. All 4 probes did require compensation, however, so that should be a good sign it hasn't been used? Also all 4 probes and channels seem to work well during the probe compensation process, so I assume the scope if working on all 4 channels properly.

I did notice after posting these pictures, while I had the probes set to the 10x position, the scope was still set to the 1x position. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) for display purposes, but I will run the compensation procedure again on all probes with both the probes and scope set to 10x just to make sure. Once set they seem to hold their position steady, so I assume it will only need a slight tweak, if anything.

After this initial check, I then run through the self tests, checking the function of all the buttons, knobs, LEDs and screen. Everything seems to be perfect. I also check the firmware screen and see that it has only be started one time, so I not sure if this is truly the case, meaning it is brand new, or if it is something that clears out with a factory reset.

After checking everything out and playing around with it as well as letting it run approximately 30 minutes, I then performed the self calibration routine. I believe it all went well as there was no indication other than it was finished and I could hit Run/stop to exit. I assume there would be some message if there was an issue, but it would also have been nice to have a more affirmative indication if everything went well.

So I think I ended up with a pretty good deal. It is either just a brand new scope with a damaged box, dropped on its corner at the warehouse and Amazon unloads them at a nice discount, or at worse it was a buyers remorse type purchase that was barely inspected/used and returned with only the box being damaged somewhere along the way. In the coming days I plan to give it a much more thorough workout but early indications are that it is a keeper. Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread and the suggestions early on.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:06:18 pm by DriftlessNet »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 09:05:51 pm »
Yep that's brand spanking new and just how we receive them packed in the box in exactly the same way.
Enjoy.  :)

BTW before you get too far down the track do a power cycle so it gets to shut down nicely without a pile of user settings that it needs to remember.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:08:19 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 04:31:33 am »
These fingerprints are only weird thing. Last time, two years ago I have checked most of Siglent products before sending to customer, if customer accepted I do overall check all is ok and possible update latest FW is exist and do some basic functional tests. 
I do not remember any single case there have been this kind of fingerprints on screen glass surface.

Looks like that someone have opened this package carefully and check if there are some damage due to package heavy damage. 
Internal plastic small tape, it can open and one time close without any clear sign. It looks like this plastic have opened carefully but they can not bend it back as nice as chinese have done it in factory. Perhaps they have just opened it for check that can not detect severe visual damage. (without even turn it on)

More it now looks like it is just never used brand new scope.  Nice! (because you get it from Amazon "used or.." lottery)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 04:43:19 am by rf-loop »
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 04:42:48 am »
It looks like they opened the bottom side and had a look.  As I predicted, no mystery about whether the deal was good.  And credit to Siglent for packing these to survive (Rigol also packs well, to be evenhanded).  Congrats on a deal--they discounted it more than I would have expected.  Perhaps they did that during the Prime Day sale and were comparing to the sale price.

Now start hacking!
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 05:00:55 am »
These fingerprints are only weird thing. Last time, two years ago I have checked most of Siglent products before sending to customer, if customer accepted I do overall check all is ok and possible update latest FW is exist and do some basic functional tests. 
I do not remember any single case there have been this kind of fingerprints on screen glass surface.

Looks like that someone have opened this package carefully and check if there are some damage due to package heavy damage. 
Internal plastic small tape, it can open and one time close without any clear sign. It looks like this plastic have opened carefully but they can not bend it back as nice as chinese have done it in factory. Perhaps they have just opened it for check that can not detect severe visual damage. (without even turn it on)

More it now looks like it is just never used brand new scope.  Nice! (because you get it from Amazon "used or.." lottery)

After reviewing the pictures, the fingerprints might be mine.  :palm:

I didn't think I touched the screen, but a few of the earlier pictures I took the screen looks cleaner. The pictures are all from different angles, so it is hard to be sure, but now I am thinking indeed the scope was basically new and maybe never sent to anyone.

It now looks like they (Amazon) simply dropped the box and damaged the corner. They probably opened that end up at the warehouse to inspect,  as you said, and to insert some more cardboard in that corner to reinforce it before taping it back up and selling it for a discount.

Yeah, I was expecting far worse. When I placed the order there were 3 "used", damaged or whatever, scopes listed. One was like $405, one was $399, and this one was $375. That is why I thought I was going to get a pile of rocks due to the deeper discount compared to the other options. Anyway, I am not complaining and after working with it for the past several hours I am pretty confident it is in basically brand new condition.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2021, 05:08:40 am »
Yep that's brand spanking new and just how we receive them packed in the box in exactly the same way.
Enjoy.  :)

BTW before you get too far down the track do a power cycle so it gets to shut down nicely without a pile of user settings that it needs to remember.

Thanks for the information on the packaging. I agree that now that I have gone over it a few more times and done a few other measurements with it I think it is basically a brand new scope with just a damaged box.

Yeah, I have power cycled it a few times now, but thanks for the tip!

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2021, 05:13:48 am »
It looks like they opened the bottom side and had a look.  As I predicted, no mystery about whether the deal was good.  And credit to Siglent for packing these to survive (Rigol also packs well, to be evenhanded).  Congrats on a deal--they discounted it more than I would have expected.  Perhaps they did that during the Prime Day sale and were comparing to the sale price.

Now start hacking!

Agreed. With the way the scope was packed, supported by the foam in the manner that is was, I do not think the corner drop would have damaged it. Maybe some type of shock, but I assume they design them for some amount of abusive handling during shipping anyway. Yes, it seems Siglent packages their scopes very well.

I suppose from Amazon's perspective, they knew sending the scope with the box in that condition to a customer who paid full price for new, they were almost guaranteed a return, so that why it was discounted that much. Like you mention, maybe also it has to do with the fact they were down to $425 during the Prime event (in undamaged boxes), so they thought they had to go lower. Whatever the reason I am more than happy with it and the price I paid.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 07:10:40 am »
Ok, so after a few days of playing with the scope I encountered my first potential problem with it while shutting down.

I had the scope up and running for an hour or so doing some testing and then shut the scope off normally, everything worked fine. About 5 minutes later I came across something I wanted to quickly check on the scope again, so I turned it back on, did my check (took maybe 2 minutes), and then pressed the power button until the shutting down message appeared and then walked away. I came back about 5 minutes later and the scope was still on with the shutting down message still on the screen. I then pressed and held the power button until it powered off. I waited a minute, turned it on again, and waited maybe another minute or two, and turned it off again normally with no issue.

So basically it froze (locked) up while in the process of powering off. Is this just a one off or something else? The only thing I did different was the short amount of time it was on, but the second short cycle test immediately afterward caused no issues.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 07:12:56 am by DriftlessNet »

Offline Scratch.HTF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 01:54:25 am »
I see that this piece of equipment uses a HDMI connector for the logic analyzer (SBUS) input; another non-standard use of a HDMI connector I have seen is the analog AV input on an AVerMedia H727.
Do you know of any other examples of non-standard use of HDMI connectors?
If it runs on Linux, there is some hackability in it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf