Author Topic: LeCroy Waverunner2 LT264M Review and (partial) teardown  (Read 17986 times)

Offline WuerstchenhundTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
LeCroy Waverunner2 LT264M Review and (partial) teardown
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:48:53 pm »
A while time ago my trusty old LeCroy Waverunner LT224 scope died through accidental overvoltage (lesson learned: never lend your scope away!), so I was looking for a replacement as a new 'every day' scope. My LT224 (which I reviewed here a while ago) was the 4 channel entry level model of the first generation of the LeCroy WaveRunner Series, which shared the main processing platform with the high-end LC Series. Being the standard entry level model meant it only offered 200MSa/s real time sampling rate and only 100kpts sample memory per channel, which severely limited the use of all the various signal analysis tools in the scope.

For my new 'every day' scope I wanted something a bit more modern, with higher sample rate and larger sample memory. After consideration I decided for a WaveRunner2 Series scope, and a bit of searching brought me a nice WaveRunner2 LT264M 350MHz 4Ch scope. The following is a review of that scope.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:00:28 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
Part 1: The Waverunner2 LT Series - Hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »
The Hardware
The WaveRunner2 LT was introduced in 2001 as the successor of the original WaveRunner LT Series of midrange oscilloscopes. As with the original WaveRunner, the new scopes were again manufactured by Iwatsu in Japan, with the underlying technology and software coming from LeCroy.

The WaveRunner2 LT was available in two (LTxx2) and four channel (LTxx4) models and offered bandwidths from 350MHz to 1GHz with sample rates between 1GSa/s and 4GSa/s. In addition to the standard sample memory of 100kpts/250kpts per channel, larger memory configurations are available as "M" (Medium, 1Mpts/Ch), 'ML' (Medium Large, 2MPts/Ch) and "L" (Large, 4Mpts/Ch) options, although not all scopes supported all memory options:

ModelAnalog BandwidthMax ChannelsMax Sample Rate 1 ChannelMax Sample Rate 2 ChannelMax Sample Rate 3-4 ChannelAquisition Memory 1 Ch (Std/'M'/'ML'/'L')Aquisition Memory 2 Ch (Std/'M'/'ML'/'L')Aquisition Memory 3-4 Ch (Std/'M'/'ML'/'L')
LT262350MHz21GSa/s1GSa/s---100k/---/2M/---100k/---/2M/------
LT264350MHz41GSa/s1GSa/s1GSa/s100k/1M/2M/---100k/1M/2M/---100k/1M/2M/---
LT354500MHz41GSa/s1GSa/s1GSa/s250k/1M/2M/---250k/1M/2M/---250k/1M/2M/---
LT372500MHz24GSa/s2GSa/s---500k/---/---/8M100k/---/---/4M---
LT374500MHz44GSa/s4GSa/s2GSa/s500k/2M/---/8M500k/2M/---/8M100k/1M/---/4M
LT5841GHz44GSa/s4GSa/s2GSa/s500k/2M/---/8M500k/2M/---/8M100k/1M/---/4M

With the WaveRunner2 LT LeCroy moved from the older style white casing to the newer blue casing with light blue-grey front, a style that would even stay with later LeCroy scopes (WaveRunner 6000, WaveSurfer 400).

The LCD screen remains at 8.4" which is at the large side (especially compared to the tiny screens found on most other scopes of that time), displaying a standard VGA resolution of 640x480 with 256 colors out of a palette of 4096 colors. The display panel is a Sharp LQ084V1DG21.

The front panel layout was changed and now clearly resembles the layout of the high-end LC Series successor scope WavePro 900. This change also brought a new button labelled WavePilot which allows quick access to all the signal analysis and measurement tools (more on this later).

The commonality with the WavePro 900 Series doesn't end at the front panel, though. The Aquisition system has been revamped as well. Gone are the separate proprietary sample memory modules (HMM, Hybrid Memory Module), the sample memory is now integrated in the ADC hybrids. This means that all scopes physically contain the maximum amount of sample meory (4Mpts per hybrid), and the various available memory sizes are now only determined by software locks.

The BNC inputs on the front retain the standard LeCroy ProBus probe interface which can be found on all LeCroy midrange and high-end scopes from the old 9300 Series to the latest WaveRunner 6Zi/WavePro 7Zi. Of course the analog inputs are 50 Ohms/1MOhms switchable, and the 50 Ohms range does even have an overload protection.

Other changes include the processing subsystem, which again shares commonality with the WavePro 900. It remains based around a PowerPC 603e processor with Chips & Technology 65545 graphics processor (seems to be a CHReP system), but the new platform comes with faster PC133 SDRAM memory in standard DIMM format which allows the WaveRunner2 to take up to 512MB RAM (compared with 128MB of slow EDO/FPM memory in the predecessor).

In terms of connectivity, the WaveRunner2 offers essentially the same package as the original WaveRunner. Serial and parallel interfaces are there, as is a VGA out (which mirrors the internal display) and GPIB. It also has a PCMCIA Type II/III slot on the rear which can be activated with the 'HDS' software option. Although the slot was originally meant to take an IBM MicroDrive 520MB PCMCIA hard disk, it also works perfectly fine with Compact Flash cards in a PCMCIA-to-CF adapter, although the logical size of the FAT partition is limited to 512MB (which is still plenty of space for saving screen shots, configuration files and waveforms!).

There also is the Citizen W1D slimline 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive which is prone to malfunction as the drive belt tends to dissolve into some sticky goo, which can be fixed by either replacing the drive (some old Compaq laptops used a similar floppy drive) or the belt. Another option is to replace it with a floppy emulator, although there aren't many devices available in slimline format.

The WaveRunner2 also has the expansion slot that can be found in the original WaveRunner and the WavePro 900. It can take an optional Ethernet adapter however these are rare like hen's teeth.

Of course, like with other LeCroy scopes, an integrated thermal printer was available as an option.

Similar to other LeCroy scopes made by Iwatsu (i.e. the original WaveRunner, WavePro 900, WaveSurfer 400, WaveJet 300/300A/300T) the apparent build quality is very high, much better than on the 9300 and LC Series (or the WaveRunner Xi, for that matter). Like it's predecessor, the WaveRunner2 is cooled by a single fan only which isn't temperature controlled but also isn't very noisy (it's less noisy than my Rigol DG1062z AWG, which I don't consider loud or intrusive).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:51:04 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
Part 2: The Waverunner2 LT Series - Software
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:51:43 pm »
The Software
As with the original WaveRunner and the WavePro 900 Series, the WaveRunner2 LT runs Windriver's VxWorks embedded RTOS (Real Time Operating System) as underlying OS with the LeCroy software stack on top. VxWorks was and is used in a wide range of critical applications from avionics to nuclear power plants, and also as a platform for scopes from other manufacturers. Choosing VxWorks is probably one factor that plays into the excellent reliability of these LeCroy scopes, and one of the reason why it replaced LeCroy's own (and much simpler) proprietary OS (which was used in the 68k based 9300 Series and the PPC based LC Series) when they introduced (still the PowerPC based) original WaveRunner LT.

The User Interface
On top of VxWorks runs LeCroy's software stack which employs the same common user interface that was introduced in the 90's with the 9300 Series and which is common across all LeCroy midrange and high-end scopes until the WavePro 7000/WaveRunner 6000 (both introducing the Windows-based XStream platform with MAUI touch interface). Unlike other manufacturers which re-invent their UI every time they come up with a new scope, LeCroy has been pretty consistent with their UIs. That means if you know how to operate one LeCroy scope then you already know how to drive their other models. Even the move from the VxWorks models to the newer XStream scopes with touch interface isn't difficult as the underlying UI concepts are the same.

One thing to remember is that LeCroy originally comes from the maths/science (high energy physics) corner and not from the EE sector as most other scope manufacturers, and this clearly shows on their approach to scope design. The first thing noticed is that horizontal and vertical controls are swapped (horizontal is left, vertical is right), which is actually more logical. However, this can be confusing at first for people that have been trained in the ways of CROs, which mostly have had verticals left and horizontals right since at least the Paleoliticum. The next thing is that according to LeCroy's philosophy a scope must show the signal unaltered by default, which means that all waveform altering functions like interpolation (linear, sin(x)) need to be specifically activated by the user. The third thing is that, because LeCroy's origins are in math and science, their scopes are much more than merely a tool to look at a signal, which is what traditional scopes are mostly used for. LeCroy designed their scopes more or less as waveform analyzers, which not only provide the user with all relevant parameters but also offer extensive in-depth analysis capabilities to pin down all relevant signal properties. This should be remembered as the usual "visual" approach often used with traditional scopes isn't best suited to get the best out of a WaveRunner2.

Like most other LeCroy midrange and high-end scopes, the WaveRunner2 is also usable to capture long-term or ultra-slow events as its time base goes down to 1ks/div (1000 seconds per division).

Scope Functionality
As its predecessor, even the basic WaveRunner2 already comes with a wide range of math, statistics and FFT functions which on the 9300 were paid-for options and which one would expect from a modern midrange DSO. Examples of the standard features are persistence mode (analog CRO-like and color graded), a set of advanced triggering modes (SMART triggering, edge/slope/signal pulse width/signal interval/state or edge qualified/dropout/TV), advanced zoom (QuickZoom), segmented memory, ERES (Extended Resolution, something along the lines of Tek's HiRes mode, just a bit more sophisticated), FFT for up to 50kpts, measurement for 26 different parameters, signal averaging (up to 10000 sweeps) for reducing noise, and many other things.

WaveRunner2 (together with the WavePro 900) introduced WavePilot which is essentially an optimized menu system that allows quick and easy access to cursors, measurements and installed software applications like Power Measurements and Analysis.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:37:15 am by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
Part 3: The Waverunner2 LT Series - Software and Hardware Options
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:52:51 pm »
Hardware and Software Options
The WaveRunner2 comes as standard with the following options:

Option CodeOption NameOption Type(Hardware/Software)Description
StandardStandard Measurements and MathsSEquivalent to old WP01 and WP02 options of the 9300/LC Series
CENTCentronicsHParallel printer port
CLBZBuzzerHDevice for creating beeping sound
CPUPPowerPC High Speed ProcessorHThis is the scope's CPU
FD01Floppy DriveHInternal Floppy Drive
GPIBGeneral Purpose Interface BusHScope's GPIB port
I2CProBus InterfaceHI2C bus for ProBus probe interface
R232RS-232HScope's serial port
VGACVGA ControllerHScope's integrated VGA graphics hardware and VGA port

As with its predecessors, the WaveRunner2's functionality can be vastly expanded by the various software and hardware options, which are:

Option CodeOption NameOption Type(Hardware/Software)Description
AORMAdvanced Optical Recording MeasurementsSAdvanced analysis package for optical storage
ATPAdvanced Trigger PackageSMore advanced triggers
DDMDisk Drive MeasurementsSAnalysis package for hard drives
DFPDigital Filter PackageSimplements a set of linear-phase Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters
EMMEnhanced Measurements and MathsSincludes Histograms, Trending of over 40 parameters, integration/differentiation maths
JTAJitter and Timing AnalysisS
JTWAJitter/Timing/Wave AnalysisSCombination of WAVA and JTA
MT01ITU G.703 Fully Automated Mask TesterS
MT02ANSI T1.102 Fully Automated Mask TesterSITU G.957 STM-1/SMT-4 ANSI T1.105 Fully Automated Mask Tester
ORMOptical Recording MeasurementS
PMA1Power Measurement AnalysisS
PMSKPolyMask Package (Pass/Fail Tolerance Testing)S
PMRLPartial Response Maximum Likelihood PackageSHard Drive Diagnostics
SMAPSurface MapS
WAVAWave Analyzer AnalysisS
HDSHard Disk PackageHEnables the rear PCMCIA slot; usually comes together with option MC01
MC01Memory Card 01HEnables Memory Card support for the rear PCMCIA port; usually comes together with option HDS
MATEModular Automated Test Equipment SupportHEnables support for US DOD MATE standard but also disables normal GPIB functionality
GP02Graphics PrinterHInternal Thermopaper Graphics Printer

The faster processing and memory subsystem as well as the larger RAM sizes and the more modern OS (VxWorks) help to increase the processing speed of many of the advanced functions. In terms of processing performance the WaveRunner2 is faster than the 9300 or LC Series and performs around the same as the high-end WavePro 900 Series.

The options are enabled via software keys which are calculated from the scope serial number and scope ID. As far as I am aware LeCroy is currently considering making the options available to hobbyists as they did with the options for 9300 and LC Series.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:11:42 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
Part 4: The Waverunner2 - Windows Applications
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:53:30 pm »
LeCroy Windows Applications
LeCroy offers various Windows tools for the WaveRunner2:

ScopeExplorer
The primary tool for remote controlling (via serial, GPIB or Ethernet) of the WaveRunner2 and other VxWorks-based LeCroy scopes is ScopeExplorer. It not only allows full control of a connected scope but also enables scope storage access (i.e. PCMCIA hard disk or CF card, floppy drive), and can upgrade the scope firmware (it even pulls down the firmware binaries from the LeCroy website). ScopeExplorer was developed for Windows2000 and Windows XP (which shows in the somewhat dated UI), but it still works fine under Vista and Windows 7 (both 32bit and 64bit) as well. However, I had some problems under Windows 8/8.1.

WaveStudio
WaveStudio is the successor of ScopeExplorer. It comes with a modernized UI which resembles the Office 2007 Ribbon style and supports features like LabNotebook which exist only in the newer Windows-based XStream scopes. However, it does recognize the older LeCroy VxWorks-based scopes as well, and can be used things like capturing screens (which can then be annotated in WaveStudio). Unfortunately the support for the older scopes is completely bug-ridden. For example, the virtual front panels don't work, and access to the scope storage often doesn't work either. I had a conversation with one of the developers at LeCroy about these problems, however the only response was that the older scopes are not supported so they don't care. Which is a real shame as WaveStudio could be universally useful (and it shouldn't be difficult to sort out the few remaining bugs) and has a much more modern UI than ScopeExplorer, and since it's still in active development it's much more likely it will work under new Windows variants. This aside, it also would be great to have a tool which works with both old (VxWorks and LeCroy OS) and new (Windows) based LeCroy scopes. So if you happen to have an older LeCroy scope, give WaveStudio a try, and if you agree with me then please complain with LeCroy support or in the LeCroy Yahoo! group (which is monitored by LeCroy employees). If enough people complain they might change their stance on support for the VxWorks based scopes.

ActiveDSO
ActiveDSO is an ActiveX control for controlling the scope within other applications like Office and VisualBasic. Very useful if you want to import scope data directly into your own applications.

DSOFilter
DSOFilter is another ActiveX control for designing custom digital filters (requires the DFP option installed). Unfortunately comes with a 16bit installer which doesn't work under 64bit Windows.

MaskMaker
MaskMaker is a tool for creating masks which are used with the PolyMask software option.

The programs that communicate with the scope via GPIB do work with non-NI adapters just fine (I'm using a Beiming 82357F Agilent clone), although officially only National Instruments stuff is supported. Unlike the Rigol tools, the LeCroy tools also don't pull any shenanigans when detecting a non-NI VISA.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:12:59 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

The following users thanked this post: tochnia

• Super Contributor
Part 5: My Waverunner2 LT264M
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:53:55 pm »
As I did with my original WaveRunner LT224 before, I again bought a four channel entry level variant: a WaveRunner2 LT264M. Aside from four channels it offers 350MHz analog bandwidth and 1GSa/s sample rate on all channels. It also comes with the 'M' sample memory option with extends the sample memory to 1Mpts per channel. Standard RAM installed was 32MB.

The scope I got was in good overall and perfect working condition (even the floppy drive works!). However, the LCD screen has been quite dark (probably the CCFL wearing out), and the floppy drive bezel and the knobs show discoloration due to age. Knob discoloration is a very common thing with many LeCroy scopes. Ever looked at a LC Series scope on ebay and wondered why the knobs look like they were painted in neon-ish ugly yellow? Something similar happens with the knobs of WaveRunner2 and WavePro 900, only that they turn from blue-grey to ugly brown.

My scope already came with some of the more useful software options (WAVA, HDS) enabled, which is nice.

The pictures below show some aspects of the internals. Overall it doesn't look much different than my old WaveRunner LT224. Noteworthy is the processor PCB with the single SDRAM memory slot. One of the first things I did was upgrading the scope to 128MB ECC and later 256MB non-ECC. Kingston ValueRAM memory worked fine. Booting up takes a couple of seconds longer because the scope has to check more memory, though.

The dim LCD is still easily readable even during daylight. Unfortunately there is no brightness control (the hardware for that is there, but the software elements are missing), so I decided that the best way to address this is to replace the CCFL tube with an LED strip. I ordered the parts so when they arrive I will do an LED conversion of the screen's backlight unit (I'll take pictures and cover this in a separate posting).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:14:07 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
Part 6: The Waverunner2 LT264M - Trigger Rate Tests
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:54:25 pm »
I did some tests to get the trigger rate of my LT264M:

Time Base SettingSampling RateSingle Channel (Hz)Dual Channel (Hz)Persistence, color graded, infinite (Hz)RIS Sampling RateRIS Single Channel (Hz)RIS Persistence (Hz)
1ns1 GSa/s28.729.738450 GSa/s23.9k24.6k
2ns1GSa/s29.929.838550 GSa/s24.9k24.6k
5ns1 GSa/s29.829.937650 GSa/s24.8k24.2k
10ns1 GSa/s29.929.836450 GSa/s24.1k24.3k
20ns1 GSa/s29.929.835450 GSa/s24.6k24.7k
50ns1 GSa/s29.929.919850 GSa/s25.1k24.5k
0.1us1 GSa/s29.729.624750 GSa/s25.1k24.9k
0.2us1 GSa/s24.416.418020 GSa/s26.7k26.5k
0.5us1 GSa/s14.511.812310 GSa/s25.9k26.5k
1us1 GSa/s10.410.252.45 GSa/s23.8k23.5
2us1 GSa/s7.27.233.42 GSa/s10.2k9.8k
5us1 GSa/s6.66.78.2---------
10us1 GSa/s6.56.74.6---------
20us1 GSa/s6.78.53.5---------
50us1 GSa/s6.77.23.5---------
0.1ms1 GSa/s5.96.01.7---------
0.2ms500 MSa/s5.961.9---------
0.5ms200 MSa/s5.95.81.1---------
1ms100 MSa/s5.861.2---------
2ms50 MSa/s5.961.3---------
5ms20 MSa/s6.46.51.2---------
10ms10 MSa/s4.65.71.2---------
20ms5 MSa/s4.63.71.2---------
50ms2 MSa/s3.51.71.1---------
0.1s1 MSa/s0.91.50.6---------
0.2s500 kSa/s0.50.70.3---------

Measurement conditions: Rigol DG1062z generator, set to sine wave, 20MHz, 3Vpp, 0V offset, 50 Ohms termination, into Waverunner EXT input (50 Ohms terminated); trigger set to EXT; rear output set to TRIG OUT, fed into Siglent Rigol DG1062z counter input. Scope is set to max. sample memory (1M per channel), and opaque traces (which is slower than transparent traces).

The Waveform Update Rate & You
Although LeCroy didn't publish any trigger rate data for the WR2LT, the above table shows that the max waveform rate is somewhere in the 26,000 wfms/s range. By modern standards this is low, however despite modern day marketing suggesting that the waveform update rate is the most critical parameter, it doesn't tell the whole story.

Many engineers, specially those coming from analog CROs (Cathode Ray Oscilloscope), are acustomed to use a scope in a primarily 'visual' manner where glitches and signal deviations are hunted by setting the scope in persistence mode and waiting for the anomaly to appear. This method comes from analog storage scopes and has been transferred across to the DSO world. As a consequence, for a rare glitch to be captured on the persistence screen within a reasonable time frame, the scope's dead time (the time between individual sweeps in which no aquisition takes place) has to be as small as possible, which means the scope's trigger rate has to be very high. If not, the glitch might be missed, or only appear after a very long time (i.e. hours).

Low end DSOs rely on this method for capturing glitches as they lack the advanced capabilities of better scopes, and thus are marketed with a focus on the waveform update rate (which are increased constantly to topple competitors).

The persistence method does have some drawbacks, though. For example, just because no glitch has been captured within a certain amount of time doesn't mean there is none, it might be that the scope has just missed it or that it just hasn't occurred yet. But your scope doesn't tell you.

The WaveRunner2 LT, as other mid-range and high end scopes, is not limited to persistence mode glitch hunting. Being a modern advanced scope, it offers better ways of finding signal glitches. One way to do that is to setup an advanced trigger which searches for certain deviations (i.e. rise time, runt, etc). This is a good method to look for glitches where one deviation parameter is known. Another method (which is particularly useful for finding unknown glitches) is PolyMask testing where the signal is compared against the wave shape (mask) of the intended signal, and if a deviation is found, a trigger is set.

This allows glitches to be found and made visible when they happen, and the results are much more reliable than the persistence glitch hunting method. This is also why ultra-fast waveform update rates are not of much concern for high end scopes, but they remain so for low end scopes due to their lack of advanced triggering capabilities.

UPDATE 04-14-2016: As it turned out the counter in the Rigol DG1062z I used to measure the update rates provided bogus results, so take these numbers with a grain of salt. As I don't have the scope any longer I can't repeat the measurements, sorry.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:18:43 am by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
Part 7: The Waverunner2 LT264M - Summary
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »
Conclusion
The WaveRunner2 LT is, even by today's standards, a very good scope which offers lots of advanced capabilities only found in higher end models from other manufacturers. The well laid out controls make it easy to operate, once one gets over the fact that horizontal and vertical controls are swapped and that there is only a single vertical control for all channels. The large 8.4" screen is a benefit, and despite it's low resolution (VGA 640x480), the WR2LT presents information clearly and without distracting with superflous information. This is thanks to a simple context-based menu system and (in full screen mode) large graticule which uses almost the whole screen area for waveform display. It reacts quickly to user input (unless the scope is in a calibration cycle, which happens very rarely and does only take a few seconds, and it can be switched off), and the single large fan keeps noise emissions relatively low. In addition, the build quality is excellent, thanks to Iwatsu.

On the negative side are the lack of individual vertical controls for each channel, the limited internal storage (512MB PCMCIA CF card or hard disk, although it is enough for hundreds of screen shots), and the lack of serial decode or MSO capabilities (which both came to the successor WaveRunner 6000 which is an X-Stream scope running Windows). However, considering the limitations often found in MSOs, a separate USB logic analyzer is probably a better choice anyways.

A second hand WaveRunner2 LT can easily hold its own against the crop of new entry-level scopes (i.e. Agilent/Keysight DSO-X2000, Rigol DS1000z/DS2000/DS4000) which tend to offer high waveform rates but very little math and little to none signal analysis capabilities. This is even more true when the WR2LT comes with some of the advanced software options. Durability shouldn't be a concern, as the WR LT Series is very robust and well designed without any known major flaws (the only weak point is the backup battery, which if empty prevents the scope from starting up; but it is easily accessible and can be replaced without loss of calibration data). Service Manuals including schematics are available for free as well. The WR2LT can even be repaired by LeCroy if required.

Who should buy one?
The WaveRunner2 LT is a good choice for someone who wants to dig deeper into the signal domain and needs a modern, reliable and reasonably compact scope that can be used every day. There is some learning involved to exploit all the scope's capabilities, but thanks to good documentation the learning curve isn't too steep for someone who is familiar with DSOs in general, although it's probably a bit more difficult for those coming from analog scopes.

It's also a good seconday scope for someone who already owns a scope, although it's possible that after a while the existing scope may end up collecting dust.

However, for those that want to buy one I recommend to have a look for a scope that at comes with the larger sample memory configuration (M/ML/L). I also recommend to look out for a scope that already has the wanted options enabled, although there are often ways to get some of the options enabled afterwards without having to pay full price. For those interested in probing hard disks, the required probes (i.e. AP215) are often cheaply available as there's generally very little interest in them (I got my AP215 with case and accessories for $14).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:16:02 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

The following users thanked this post: tochnia

• Super Contributor
Part 8a: The Waverunner2 LT Series - Brochure (Part 1 and 2)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 08:54:18 pm »
I have attached a nice brochure for the WaveRunner2 Series. Unfortunately due to the very small allowed file sizes (come on, it's 2014, 1MB/2MB is nothing these days!) I had to split it up into four pieces.

This is Part 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:16:38 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
Part 8b: The Waverunner2 LT Series - Brochure (Parts 3 and 4)
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 09:05:51 pm »
3rd and 4th part of the brochure.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:17:29 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
Re: LeCroy Waverunner2 LT264M Review and (partial) teardown
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 09:10:11 pm »
That's it! Done!! If anyone has any questions or wants me to do a some more test then just ask!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:17:18 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Fretec

• Contributor
Re: Part 3: The Waverunner2 LT Series - Software and Hardware Options
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 12:12:12 am »
The options are enabled via software keys which are calculated from the scope serial number and scope ID. As far as I am aware LeCroy is currently considering making the options available to hobbyists as they did with the options for 9300 and LC Series.

Hi,

are there any news or some place where one can find more infos on this?
I'd love to unlock the software options on my Waverunner!  ;D

Fantastic Review btw!  :-+

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 01:11:11 am »
As usual, excellent write up - and many do appreciate you taking the time to do it.
I need to update my LeCroys again as well - how long did it take to find yours? Do you see many out there these days? What sort of price range did u notice?
There are zilch in OZ, so I'd need to find a host again in UK or USA.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 06:48:18 pm »

A while ago there was a discussion in the Yahoo! LeCroy group where someone from LeCroy stated that thei're looking into making some (all?) of the options for the VxWorks based scopes available to hobbyists, either for a low price or for free.

I'd ask in the group if there are any news about that. I guess LeCroy needs to see that there is some interest or otherwise they might think it's not worth it.

Offline Fretec

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 07:03:54 pm »

A while ago there was a discussion in the Yahoo! LeCroy group where someone from LeCroy stated that thei're looking into making some (all?) of the options for the VxWorks based scopes available to hobbyists, either for a low price or for free.

I'd ask in the group if there are any news about that. I guess LeCroy needs to see that there is some interest or otherwise they might think it's not worth it.

Sounds great, thank you!

And I'm sure every owner of these scopes would love to get the software options, especially for free  :clap:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »
As usual, excellent write up - and many do appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Thanks!

I need to update my LeCroys again as well - how long did it take to find yours? Do you see many out there these days? What sort of price range did u notice?
There are zilch in OZ, so I'd need to find a host again in UK or USA.

There are quite a few WaveRunner2 scopes on ebay, although some of them ridiculously priced. There are less WavePro 900 Series scopes, though, but unless one wants the specific features of this series (larger screen, higher sample rates, additional options over the WR2) and can live with the larger footprint and higher noise levels then a WR2 should be sufficient.

As for my scope, well, I didn't look around very long before I bought my LT264M. At that time a colleague killed my old LT224, and I was just fed up with the Siglent SDS1102CML that I also had at that time, so I wanted something new. I then saw this LT264M and just bought it. Getting my WR64Xi and the WavePro 7300A took a bit more deliberation, as the amounts of money involved were larger.

In terms of price, for a WR2 in good conditions and with some of the useful software (i.e. WAVA, PMA, ATP, JTA) and memory ('M' or better) options I'd say if the price is roughly at what an equivalent four-channel model from Siglent (SDS2000) and Rigol (DS4k) costs then it's a decent deal. With some luck you might even be able to get one for a lot less. Obviously you'd have to consider buying from abroad, i.e. the US or even Asia.

Offline ADent

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 01:31:13 pm »
Hi!

Sorry about waking up an old thread. I Got a Waverunner LT262 which starts and shows the splash screen, but with vertical thin brighter (i think) lines. The green LED goes on and never goes off. So it's either stuck in calibration or before.

It has been scrapped. Anyone got a clue what I should check for? Picture is same on VGA out as on LCD.

Best regards
Mikael
Strength through pointer arithmetic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf