Author Topic: The Lecroy Wave Runner 2Ghz 204Xi-A How much is it worth?  (Read 2680 times)

Offline stuartkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
The Lecroy Wave Runner 2Ghz 204Xi-A How much is it worth?
« on: May 03, 2016, 01:29:12 am »
Have a look at this interesting auction:

http://www.go-dove.com/en/auction/view?id=11018390

Does anyone have any experience with these scopes?

Are they a pleasure to use or a pain?

How much are they really worth?

And yes, it is way more scope then what I actually need, however I am curious as to what the forum thinks.

I do need an MSO, however the auction doesn't supply any information as to installed options...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:40:29 am by stuartk »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: The Lecroy Wave Runner 2Ghz 204Xi-A How much is it worth?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:30:00 am »
Have a look at this interesting auction:

http://www.go-dove.com/en/auction/view?id=11018390

Does anyone have any experience with these scopes?

Yes.

Are they a pleasure to use or a pain?

The WRXI-A are very nice scopes, they were the first XStream II (PCIe based) scopes together with the smaller WaveSurfer Xs-B. They are fast (faster than other comparable scopes), reliable, and there's a long list of options for them. The touch UI (MAUI) is nice and intuitive. And it's still fully supported by LeCroy (you can even buy warranty for it from them) and the regular X-Stream software updates.

The downsides are are that it still runs XP (this one and the WSXs-B were the last 32bit platforms), and comes with somewhat small-ish (25Mpts) sample memory. Still, in 2009 it was one of the best debugging scopes you could find, and even today it's a great scope.

How much are they really worth?

Difficult to say, but a naked working WR204Xi-A in good condition should go for somewhere around $7k, and quite a bit more if it's a MXi-A (MSO) and comes with the MS-250 or MS-500 logic interface. This one doesn't seem to have the MSO software option installed (otherwise the sticker would say 'MXi-A') but it does have the L-Bus interface so MSO functionality can be enabled with a software key.

And yes, it is way more scope then what I actually need, however I am curious as to what the forum thinks.

Well, if you can get it for say $5k then you made an absolute bargain. Closer to $7k, still good if you need/want such a scope.

Offline stuartkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:15:35 am »
Hi Wuerstchenhund
http://www.go-dove.com/en/auction/view?auctionId=11018346

This one is a 204MXi but not the "a" version, whatever that is.
I think the "M" stands for math (additional math functions), and I suspect the MSO option would be a pretty penny, as when you already own it, you have no purchasing clout with Lecroy.

I tell you, It would take a lot of guts to lay down $5K sight unseen on a scope that may be a dud, with no recourse.
To make matters worse, these auctions come with no probes, cords, CD's, manuals etc.

Still thinking on it...

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:20:30 am by stuartk »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:14:47 am »
Hi Wuerstchenhund
http://www.go-dove.com/en/auction/view?auctionId=11018346

This one is a 204MXi but not the "a" version, whatever that is.

That is a WaveRunner (M)Xi, the predecessor of the Xi-A. It's a X-Stream I scope (PCI not PCIe based) and the predecessor of the Xi-A. It's a good scope but early ones suffered from a few quality issues that have been corrected later on in production and during service. The best indicator to see if this scope has the improvements is the handle, if it's blue (like the rear housing) then it has not been modified, if the handle is black then it has.

I think the "M" stands for math (additional math functions),

No, it doesn't stand for maths. 'M' is for scopes that are sold with the MSO option. Older WRXi did not have the L-Bus connector for the logic pods, only the WRMXi models had them (and if you retrofitted a Xi with L-Bus then it became a MXi, i.e. LeCroy also replaced the sticker). The Xi-A all have the L-Bus interface, however it is enabled only with the MXi-A models.

and I suspect the MSO option would be a pretty penny, as when you already own it, you have no purchasing clout with Lecroy.

How much purchasing clout you have depends on your negotiation skills, option prices are widely negotiable as are instrument prices.

The MS-250 and MS-500 logic pods are very expensive when bought new (the MS-250 costs some $3.5k but then these are roughly $18k scopes), but can occasionally be found on ebay for $1000 or less.

I tell you, It would take a lot of guts to lay down $5K sight unseen on a scope that may be a dud, with no recourse.
To make matters worse, these auctions come with no probes, cords, CD's, manuals etc.

Of course, which is why for the Xi-A in that auction I'd probably not go higher than say $3500, which leaves enough of a budget for having it fixed should it be necessary.

These auctions are always a risk, so you have to bid accordingly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf