Author Topic: Micromaster LV48  (Read 741 times)

Offline SquarewaveTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Micromaster LV48
« on: August 29, 2024, 11:13:58 pm »
So I've got a Micromaster LV48 for the Boardmaster, work was getting shot of this also.

Here's what happens, when I connect it all up and power on, no power light. Keep it connected and powered up, restart the computer, the red power LED comes on for a few seconds then goes out. Start WinLV, the red LED comes on for a few seconds, then goes out, with the error message on the screen that the device isn't communicating.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Micromaster LV48
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2024, 04:53:21 am »
Even a search for an operations manual draws a blank, can't find anything for this at all.......

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2024, 08:40:31 pm »
Here's what happens, when I connect it all up and power on, no power light. Keep it connected and powered up, restart the computer, the red power LED comes on for a few seconds then goes out. Start WinLV, the red LED comes on for a few seconds, then goes out, with the error message on the screen that the device isn't communicating.

I've got one such programmer and what you describe in terms of power LED turning on and off is generally normal behaviour: it is a power saving functionality of the programmer (the programmer supports powering from batteries).
This is mentioned in the presentation text in the attached documents (the only documentation I was able to find about the device).
With regards to the error message, the only thing I can think of is parallel port settings or compatibility issues.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 11:10:35 pm »
Thank you, will have a read and see where I get!  :D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 01:14:33 pm »
So I've taken a look at the port settings, but not really sure if anything here is right or even wrong.

Bios and Windows screen photos.....

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2024, 03:08:16 pm »
Ok.
So, first, wanted to make sure you are using an integrated parallel port controller and not one of those add-on cards.
Second, with regards to settings, the documentation for the programmer mentions SPP or ECP, so I would suggest ECP (the more "modern" option).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2024, 05:58:23 pm »
It's still strange how the red LED will come on, then go off, then fail to communicate.

What I find is when I start the computer, the red led comes on, then goes off, then when I open WinLV, the red light comes on, then goes off and fails communication, but the red led won't come on again unless I restart the computer.

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2024, 08:38:34 pm »
Also, what version of Windows are you running (I'm on Windows 98) and what version of WinLV are using (I am using version 2.0.0009)?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2024, 09:17:31 pm »
It's W95 and WinLV is 1.0.0205.

It must be communicating something to activate the light for 2 or 3 seconds.

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2024, 09:19:39 pm »
Is the Micromaster LV48 supported in WinLV version 1.x?
I would try with version 2.x.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2024, 09:40:09 pm »
Good question! I'll need to try and find version 2 and then also get it onto floppy disk. I can probably organise the latter.

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:48:55 am »
Just do a Google search for "ice technologies winlv" and it should be at the first search result.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:21:49 am »
Good morning, thanks for coming back to me. In fact, I recall that when WinLV cannot communicate with the programmer, it gives options to go into demo mode, there are several programmers to choose from, the Micromaster 48 being one of them, so I guess that means this software is made for it? I do need to try another cable, just to rule out something silly, plus I wonder if it's a driver issue? Thing is, someone must have used this before, I don't know of any other PC which was running this when ever it was last used. No one has used this for many years, we only use gang programmers to make copies of EPROMs and that's it.

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 08:53:53 am »
Good morning!

I recall that when WinLV cannot communicate with the programmer, it gives options to go into demo mode, there are several programmers to choose from, the Micromaster 48 being one of them, so I guess that means this software is made for it?
I guess, but I'd still give WinLV version 2.x a try, even if just to rule out software compatibility as a possible issue.

I do need to try another cable, just to rule out something silly, plus I wonder if it's a driver issue?
Definitely try a different cable if you don't know / trust the reliability of the one you are currently using.
On driver issue, that would be only something which comes with the WinLV software, thus the point of trying version 2.x as well.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 12:35:17 pm »
If I open WinLV, I can't find any port settings, but these are what the Windows settings show for the port, interestingly, although it says it's working properly, it then says no driver has been uploaded for the port?

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 02:09:02 pm »
I don't actually know these things (parallel port and communication were a little before my time and never found the interest to try to understand them in detail), but I don't think whatever driver WinLV provides is something which will reflect in Windows Device Manager.
Instead, I think it's probably some sort of library that it installs (or overwrites an existing one?) as part of the application installation process.

That's my empirical understanding anyway...

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 02:32:04 pm »
Ok, so next steps, try another cable.

Then before installing anything, I'll need to image this drive.

Thanks so far, hopefully we'll crack it!

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 03:11:17 pm »
normally  you have lpt modes like ecp spp ... as mentioned, normally  it should be ok in device manager,  unless Irq's are needed ???

if i read correctly  you have / use the motherboard lpt,  not an addon card

you have the basic  lpt configs in Bios :

LPT1: 0x378 (or occasionally 0x3BC) (IRQ 7)
LPT2: 0x278 (IRQ 6)
LPT3: 0x3BC (IRQ 5)

you should not have any errors in device manager  ...

and for the  winlv   it should ask the lpt port config / setting , unless it is hard coded to a specific adress ???

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 04:05:43 pm »
Yes, I've tried all modes, even auto, IRQ is set to 7. There are no options in WinLV to alter port settings, so it must be embedded into the software?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 04:18:10 pm »
installed on win 10  run in demo mode

it does search for 3x possible lpt adress  in self tests mode  ....   unless you have bad bios configs, a defective cable and or  the programmer has some issues, it should be easy to make it work ??

can you find another computer with real lpt, a lappy    ??  i know  it is now rare to find lpt ports ...

unless the lpt cable   if you have the original   have some special wiring in it ?? is it a substitute ?

does the ac adapter gives around 15vac ??

EDIT    mmmm is it me   but it does look like Dataman ones,  many of their sw installers are available on the web ...   i would not be surprised  ...  it a cosmetic change ...  Elnec  was the main maker in many models ... they do have legacy sw installers

https://www.dataman.com/dataman-4848lv-resources

an old thread here : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/service-manual-andor-schematics-for-micromaster-lv48/

Re EDIT

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/eeprom-am27c040-programming-problem.218064/
some threads elsewhere : some said  needed to install this ??    attached here ?   some said  ECP mode for the lpt port ...  cable is supposed to be straight ...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:35:50 pm by coromonadalix »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 04:26:50 pm »
It outputs about 20vac without any load on it. As above I'm going to try another lead if I can find one, I may be able to try another computer, we may have another old one at work which may have a parallel port. Interesting that you could install it on W10 and get it going. I wonder if a USB to parallel port converter would work with it at all.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 04:34:57 pm »
hi pls read the previous thread .... before and while you answered     i posted some driver and some links

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 07:59:57 pm »
Thanks, I'll need to image the drive before I go any further with drivers. But I'll need to try another cable first.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf