Author Topic: Keysight's new 34465A (6.5 digit) and 34470A (7.5 digit) bench multimeters  (Read 249843 times)

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
Hi Frank,

Very nice data and testing, thanks for all the efforts! May you share few more details on linearity testing methods? You measured 5440 output with both meters and calculated difference between 3458A and 344xx readings? In return I'm interested of doing similar test with other meters, like K2001/K2002.

You might also use the 5442A directly, as it's very linear already. I tested mine to about 0.2ppm INL, between 1V and 10V.
It's an old device, so the negative polarity deviates in offset, gain and linearity. Everything is inside the 0.5ppm linearity specification, but it could do better.

Therefore, for high accuracy, I measure 3458A and DUT in parallel, both polarities, 0.1V interval, from -10.5 to +10.5V, so avoiding range switching of the 5442A.

Then, I take 3458A as X, DUT as Y, and let excel calculate a best fit straight line.
The regression parameters give a correction for the 34465A data regarding offset and gain factor.

The difference between these corrected data Y' and Y is the INL data, and its maximum by definition is the INL specification.

See xls file, including linearity calculations for 5442A also.

Frank
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:42:12 pm by Dr. Frank »

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Thanks, I'll try that with 3245A and my meters. Shipping a beast like 5442A overseas would be a quest, so will use what have first.

Making python script to do related measurement should be an easy task.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
WOW, thanks Dr. Frank for excellent post. I like it!
It is worthwhile to publish on some blog like http://gpete.blogs.keysight.com/

Offline SKPang

• Supporter
    • SK Pang Electronics Ltd
After 3 weeks they finally approved my free 2M memory upgrade.  :)
They email me the software entitlement certificate. I had to login and download the lic file, copy it over to an USB stick and install it on the meter.
skpang.co.uk

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
When the free memory upgrade was announced I did not read everything but applied immediately, later I read that it was not "old" meters.
But I got the license today, even though me meter was too old to qualify (now I just need a digitizer license).

Offline FFFF00

• Contributor
Same here with the memory upgrade on an early 34465A. Very pleasant surprise this morning!

Offline zlymex

• Frequent Contributor
For the 3458A, you see a typical, quite narrow Gaussian distribution for the 10V measurement.
At 10x magnification, an irregular binning appears, with 7 different values per 0.01ppm, which gives about 17.5nV median resolution, or 0.00175 ppm, nearly 9 digits.

Frank
Was this measure at NPLC=100? Did you use auto zero?
Have you calculated the minimum standard deviation(or allan deviation) for a consecutive 100 readings?

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
Was this measure at NPLC=100? Did you use auto zero?
Have you calculated the minimum standard deviation(or allan deviation) for a consecutive 100 readings?

Yes, it's the same measurement as in the Allan Deviation diagram, i.e. 35h vs. 5442A, NPLC100, AZ ON.
You may take the SD from that diagram, at about tau = 500sec.
Otherwise, I may look for the original xls sheet, so that you can analyse data on your own.

Frank
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:17:18 am by Dr. Frank »

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
Free memory upgrade for FG and DMM
www.keysight.com/find/remember_bench

Eligible Models:
     Performance DMM : 34465A, 34470A
     Function Generator : 33511B, 33512B, 33521B, 33522B, 33611A, 33612A, 33621A, 33622A
Purchase Period : 1st Jan 2016 until 30th Sept 2016
Registration Period : 1st Jan 2016 until 31st Oct 2016
Form below valid for US , Canada, Latin America.  Use the black/white globe in top right of this page to select your country.

FYI
Link to request seems to be broken at the moment.
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
For me it is a fully working link  :)

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
when I go to actually request the upgrade I get (from keysight)
Sandra

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
Well, it works for me. Have never seen this before, wonder if Europe is included; I will have to check up on that...

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
when I go to actually request the upgrade I get (from keysight)

I'm in the US and it works fine.

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
Sorry ... I misunderstood and as you stated, it does not work and not for me either! I did not klick the register link, my apologies for false info...

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
whew,  thank you.
I didn't figure it was me because the error is from their site not a general network error.
I tried <gulp> IE even to see if it was browser related.   also from my iPhone.

I sent in a web feedback and sent them more information on what's happening  FWIW
Sandra

Offline bson

• Supporter
Doesn't work for me either, and I'm in the U.S.

However, knowing this is Keysight, you probably need to make sure to use Internets Exploder 9 on Windows 7.

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
Windows 7  Check
IE 9,   oops.   I'll never get my memory 

3/28/16 5pm,  still broken

Doesn't work for me either, and I'm in the U.S.

However, knowing this is Keysight, you probably need to make sure to use Internets Exploder 9 on Windows 7.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:14:50 pm by smgvbest »
Sandra

Offline Blue

• Regular Contributor
  • Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
Yeah, I also had some problems (reported earlier), but rereading the email they send me and using that link solved it. I had to be logged in though before It worked.

Good luck!

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
I was logged in before and it still didn't work but trying today it worked fine.
Happily registered now for the upgrade.  says to allow 30 days to process
Sandra

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Has anyone heard anything regarding the new firmware? Keysight had suggested it would take 4 weeks or so for the testing but it has been closer to 6 or 7 without a release.
VE7FM

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
Has anyone heard anything regarding the new firmware? Keysight had suggested it would take 4 weeks or so for the testing but it has been closer to 6 or 7 without a release.

Maybe they found new problems trying to correct the old ones.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Welp, got my U3401A and 34450A up for sale to fund a 34465A. Think I have a buddy that is going to pick up the U3401A, now just gotta wait it out till a buyer picks up the 34450A. That 34465A is just too nice a meter to pass on. Its time to upgrade! I only wish it were Agilent branded to it would match all my other bench equipment.  >:(
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Free memory upgrade for my 34465A arrived today :)

A nice surprise, given that mine was an early one that I bought last year shortly after they came out. I guess someone @ Keysight reckons it's a better idea to waive through the free upgrade rather than risk upsetting a customer. They're right, of course  ^-^

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
Are there any other upgrades for the 34465A or is just the memory upgrade?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline dadler

• Supporter
I received the upgrade for my 34465A and 33522B.

I bought the 34465A in May 2015, and the 33522B from the Keysight eBay store in Fall 2015.

The 33522B already already came with all licenses installed, but I do not have the license files.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to request the memory entitlement certificate anyways (just in case I accidentally clear the licenses, which you can do over SCPI  :o )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf