Author Topic: Keysight's new 34465A (6.5 digit) and 34470A (7.5 digit) bench multimeters  (Read 249851 times)

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
 :-+
2.500 V DC reference, make and model if you don't mind?
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor
Any news regarding the new 34461, 34465 firmware? I remeber reading that it was schedulet for release yesterday, or did I dream?  :-//

It was supposed to be, but so far they haven't updated their website. You can, however, download the release notes for it (go to the 1.10 firmware release notes and change the version number to 2.08 in the url), so I'm guessing it's just waiting for someone to flick the switch on.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
:-+
2.500 V DC reference, make and model if you don't mind?
Made by JohnnyBerg of this forum in really good quality!

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
Any news regarding the new 34461, 34465 firmware? I remeber reading that it was schedulet for release yesterday, or did I dream?  :-//

It was supposed to be, but so far they haven't updated their website. You can, however, download the release notes for it (go to the 1.10 firmware release notes and change the version number to 2.08 in the url), so I'm guessing it's just waiting for someone to flick the switch on.

Yes

http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/Firmware_2.08_Release_Notes.pdf
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor

I have already downloaded it a few days ago, but thank you all anyway.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
The full stat display is very helpful, I do all that by hand via a tedious PC connection analysis.   It shows the integrity of the measurement very quickly.

I kept the 2.5000 V reference hooked up over night and this is the result I am getting:
It looks to me,  that the reference and the 34470A are performing well.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline radioFlash

• Regular Contributor
Is there a way to capture the date/time of a reading when doing externally triggering? When I setup external triggering and save the data to a .csv, it captures the start time of the capture, but not a time when each sample is taken. I've looked through the manual and couldn't find a way to do that without resorting to scripting.

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor
Is there a way to capture the date/time of a reading when doing externally triggering? When I setup external triggering and save the data to a .csv, it captures the start time of the capture, but not a time when each sample is taken. I've looked through the manual and couldn't find a way to do that without resorting to scripting.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is, which seems like a bit of an oversight. It might be worth contacting Keysight and asking them to add this as a feature, as there is no obvious reason why the data logging couldn't output the time - I can understand that it might not be possible to get timestamps for the measurements in the internal memory, as I'm guessing the readings are just stored in an array.

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor
I have had an update about the 34461A's firmware:

Quote from: Keysight
Unfortunately the firmware release has been delayed until further notice as the engineers are performing some additional tests to make sure the firmware works as per the expectations

This has come from their contact centre, so I think "to make sure the firmware works as per the expectations" means they found a pretty significant bug in it. If they are fixing a bug, then it might delay the release further - as I get the impression that their firmware testing procedure takes a while to run.

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Just received my 34465a from Newark. Firmware is 2.06 as expected.

Any hope on, Um, getting the digitize and memory options for a price closer to free?  ;)

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor

Unfortunately the firmware release has been delayed until further notice as the engineers are performing some additional tests to make sure the firmware works as per the expectations

This has come from their contact centre, so I think "to make sure the firmware works as per the expectations" means they found a pretty significant bug in it. If they are fixing a bug, then it might delay the release further - as I get the impression that their firmware testing procedure takes a while to run.

The update has  arrived  :-+

2015-03-16 2.08 Update to add additional 34460A/34461A functionality and fix miscellaneous 34460A/34461A/34465A/34470A defects.

I have not installed this yet, I thought I should notify the forum first!
JFG

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Updated.

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
#dadler
Have you tried the dual display on DCV with ACV as secondary?
JFG

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
The new FW 2.08 seems to work perfect on my 34461A and 34470A
No update issues at all.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Here are two pictures after the FW update to v2.08, in comparison to a 33461A with the FW v1.10

Top instrument: 34461A, FW v1.10
Middle instrument: 34461A, FW v2.08
Bottom instrument: 34470A, FW v2.08

It seems the trend-chart received a higher resolution (one more digit) on the 34461A, which is really nice, to say the least.
All three instruments are set to the same setting and on the same voltage source

The dual display works excellent on the 34461A

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor

The update has  arrived  :-+

2015-03-16 2.08 Update to add additional 34460A/34461A functionality and fix miscellaneous 34460A/34461A/34465A/34470A defects.

I have not installed this yet, I thought I should notify the forum first!
JFG

That's good news - it's nice to know that the contact centre always has accurate information :palm:

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor
Here are two pictures after the FW update to v2.08, in comparison to a 33461A with the FW v1.10

Top instrument: 34461A, FW v1.10
Middle instrument: 34461A, FW v2.08
Bottom instrument: 34470A, FW v2.08

It seems the trend-chart received a higher resolution (one more digit) on the 34461A, which is really nice, to say the least.
All three instruments are set to the same setting and on the same voltage source

Are both of the 61As scaled in the same way? It looks like the top 61A hasn't been auto-scaled.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Those are really nice firmware upgrades!  :-+

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor

Are both of the 61As scaled in the same way? It looks like the top 61A hasn't been auto-scaled.
Top one was auto-scaled
It is confirmed by the upper, lower values on the scale to the left
Upper (max) value: 5.000 5 V
Lower (min) value: 5.000 4 V
On the old firmware there was no more resolution in between
Adding the extra digit added the extra resolution on the vertical axis.

The new FW v2.08 shows now on the left of the trend chart:
Upper (max) value: 5.000 48 V
Lower (min) value: 5.000 47 V

This is really great and something I did not expect from a firmware upgrade

It seems like we are now having the following resolution on the trend chart:

34461A, FW1.10 +/- 100 uV Resolution
34461A, FW2.08 +/- 10 uV Resolution
34470A, FW2.08 +/- 1 uV Resolution

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
Hi
Content with the new version of firmware  :-+ (34461A)
But I have a question, someone I can clarify why says Time since last calibration: 808 days ??, .......
Buy less than a month ago a representative of Keysight on Argentina

Regards

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 03:31:56 pm by rosbuitre »
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Another confirmation, that the new firmware v2.08 gives us one more digit of resolution on the 34461A.

Top Screen-shot: 34461A, FW v1.10
Middle Screen-shot: 34461A, FW v2.08
Bottom Screen-shot: 34470A, FW v2.08

Voltage source is a simple AD587 10V reference setup, measured over a short period of time
All three DMM's received the same signal, all three are in 10 PLC mode and all have been pressed "Autoscale Once".

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:49:59 pm by HighVoltage »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
#dadler
JFG

Just tried this- it works on screen, but it clicks the relays every couple of seconds and locks up the display for each update. Anyone else seeing this?

Does the same thing with ACV primary and DCV secondary. Manual ranging doesn't help. Is this really implemented by constantly switching relays?

AC+Frequency/Frequency+AC is fine. AC+DC is clicky clacky.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:57:49 pm by dadler »

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
#dadler
JFG

Just tried this- it works on screen, but it clicks the relays every couple of seconds and locks up the display for each update. Anyone else seeing this?

Does the same thing with ACV primary and DCV secondary. Manual ranging doesn't help. Is this really implemented by constantly switching relays?

Yes, measuring about 3 seconds, 3 seconds locks and switching relays and the cycle is repeated |O, in ACV no, everything ok

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:00:35 pm by rosbuitre »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
#dadler
JFG

Yes, measuring about 3 seconds, 3 seconds locks and switching relays and the cycle is repeated |O, in ACV no, everything ok

Argh, I can't allow the relays to constantly click like that. The display also hanging drives me nuts.

The manual says:

1 After making one o rmore primary measurements for approximately 4 seconds, the DMM makes one
secondary measurement.

No mention of the implementation relying on constant relay switching  :scared:

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor

Yes, it is the same annoying relay action on the 34470A
Interestingly the much older 34410A does not do this for dual display action.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf