Author Topic: Keysight refusing warranty - DSOX3014A bought less than one month ago  (Read 16344 times)

Offline rodppTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi!

I bought a brand new DSOX3014A and it seems defective, presenting a negative DC offset in all ranges, and it is not constant along the ranges.

I sent Keysight an e-mail asking for repair and they sent to me an "Diagnostic evaluation" quote, asking around USD170 (BRL637.76) only to verify what the problem is. After that "evaluation" they will send a quote for the repair.

I explained to then that the scope was under warranty, and asked if that service is not covered by the warranty.

Keysight replied saying that in "their system" the warranty is expired, and asking if I have an extended warranty.

So I replied saying that I do not have an extend warranty, and I sent the legal purchase document (fiscal invoice) with the purchase date (the purchase date is Jun 07, 2019). Then I asked if the warrant period doesn't starts at the purchase date.

They replied saying that I bought the equipment from Nortron (a brazilian company that sells TE) and not direct from Keysight. And that my warranty is expired, because Keysight sold the equipment to Nortron in 2011!

To me it is absurd! While the equipment was in the store stock the warranty counter was running... Only if I had bought the equipment in the day that it arrived at the store I would have the full 3 years warranty.

Of course this strange Keysight behavor has no support in brazilian law, I will try to solve this with US Keysight before taking another actions.

In the thread bellow, other brazilian member had a bad experience with Keysight and @"Keysight DanielBogdanoff" helped him to find a solution:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oh-no!-i_m-never-buying-any-agilent-keysight-equiment-ever-again!/

So I am posting here to publicize this case and listen the point of view of another members, hoping that @Keysight DanielBogdanoff helps me.

Regards,
Rodrigo.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:13:47 pm by rodpp »

The following users thanked this post: GEOelectronics, justanothername

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics

• Frequent Contributor
It says expired... But I just bought the scope, brand new from a reputable brazilian store: http://www.nortronne.com.br/

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
You can check the scope history, calibration certificate, if the scope had any service or repair, etc

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
What does Nortron say? It seems your agreement is with them and not Keysight. Keysight can provide additional manufacturer warranty, but they can also arbitrarily set the terms.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:19:21 pm by Mr. Scram »

• Frequent Contributor
The scope is brand new, I confirmed with Nortron. They only sells brand new equipments.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
It says expired... But I just bought the scope, brand new from a reputable brazilian store: http://www.nortronne.com.br/
Have you contacted the distributor?

• Frequent Contributor
Yes, they said the scope is brand new, no doubts. They do not have another to replace, only a DSOX3012A (two channels). So I contacted Keysight to repair, as I need the 4 channels.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
The scope is brand new, I confirmed with Nortron. They only sells brand new equipments.
That's not what I mean. By buying from Nortron you entered into an agreement with them. They seem to be the party that should provide warranty on their sale.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:23:41 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: janoc, nctnico, wraper, Jacon, Electro Detective, SparkyFX

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
If they had this equipment since 2011, it is a new old stock, not brand new.  Anyway, you should be able to ask the distributor to contact Keysight to update the warranty information so it is covered as new.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Keysight refusing warranty - DSOX3014A bought less than one month ago
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 10:24:04 pm »
Ok, now I understand. I do not asked Nortron to contact Keysight to update the warranty information. I will do, thanks!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 10:35:34 pm »
You might want to try a user calibration. It might need it after 8 years. What version of firmware did it have installed?
VE7FM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 10:42:22 pm »
Yes, probably a User Cal could fix this. But as the offset is much worse than specified, I want it to be checked properly.

And after that Keysight answer, I need to clarify my warranty status.

The firmware version is 01.00.2011011301.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 10:51:17 pm »
The firmware version is 01.00.2011011301.
This is a vintage unit!

• Frequent Contributor

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 11:22:06 pm »
Here are some (15 units) more vintage ones: https://www.newark.com/keysight-technologies/dsox3014a/oscilloscope-4-analog-100mhz-2gsps/dp/21T9287?st=dsox3014a

You really should be taking this up with Nortron.

You would have had much better support from Newark, they would have taken yours back and shipped you a replacement within days.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 11:46:37 pm »
I sent an e-mail to Nortron, as sugested above.

Yes, Newark should ship a replacement as it has 15 in stock. But there are at least two shortcomings:

1- The asked price is the same price of the DSOX3014T;
2- Farnell Brazil ended its operation in 2015.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 11:51:04 pm »
Does your scope say Agilent or Keysight on the front??  Was the box completely sealed, all accessories still packaged, with an (now expired) certificate of calibration?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 12:04:31 am »
It says Agilent on the front, it is a 2011 unit, before the name change.

The external box does not arrived sealed. I contacted Nortron and asked if it was a used or Demo unit, because they sold it as brand new. The answer was that it was sealed in their stock, but it was opened before shipment to verify if it was working. They justified this action saying that it was in their stock for a long time, and they checked if it was working before shipment (I live about 2.000Km from Nortron). Indeed it is a 2011 unit and I have no reasons to have doubts related to Nortron, as it is a reputable brazilian TE store.

The certificate of calibration arrived inside a sealed envelope . I opened it and its date is Feb 25, 2011. Expired, of course.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 12:41:28 am »
  I think that we all agree that your issue is with Nortron and not with Keysight. I can't imagine buying a piece of 8 years old ANYTHING and being convinced that it was new and unused (and in an opened box!) and that the manufacturer should be required to honor a 1 year warranty.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 12:47:36 am »
If someone buys one of the Newark units linked above, he can expect a full warranty from Keysight?

Here in Brazil we expect it, and the law support this expectation.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 12:47:49 am »
I'll assume from what you said that you were not anticipating getting an NOS/Open box Agilent, but rather a new, recently calibrated Keysight.  Is Norton an authorized Keysight distributor? I can understand the difficulties you have getting certain items where you are at--living in California we are certainly spoiled in that regard.  However, unless you have gotten some screaming deal (like half off on clearance) I think you have been ripped off.  Although I actually have visited the FGV Law School, I don't know anything about Brazilian consumer law nor about the reputation of Nortron (which, b/t/w, I don't see anywhere online).  However, in your shoes I'd be wanting my money back regardless of any service or calibration provided by either Keysight or Nortron.  Would you have purchased it in the first place if you knew it was 8 years old and opened? Yikes!

You would have to ask them, but I don't think Keysight starts the warranty period on wholesale purchase.   Most manufacturers here will consider the warranty to start at retail purchase or warranty registration, as long as it isn't too long after the manufacture date.  However, if no retail purchase or registration is recorded, the start date will revert to the manufacture date.  How long can they be expected to extend the warranty if the item sits in a warehouse for years on end?  I'm not sure, but 8 years seems like a long time.  OTOH, I'm sure they don't want an unhappy customer. I hope something good happens for you.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 12:51:15 am »
If someone buys one of the Newark units linked above, he can expect a full warranty from Keysight?

Here in Brazil we expect it, and the law support this expectation.

Newark is an authorized Keysight distributor and the units they have will be brand new, of recent manufacture and factory sealed.  And yes, Keysight will warranty them. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 12:59:42 am »
Thanks for your input.

Please, see the Nortron website: http://www.nortronne.com.br/

It is a reputable TE store here. I do not know if it is/was an authorized Keysight distributor.

I was not anticipating getting a recent calibrate Keysight unit, as the DSOX3000T was released a long time ago and certainly it was a long time in stock. But I was anticipating getting a brand new unit, with full warranty coverage.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 02:25:38 am »
I may be mistaken, but I think this is either a current model or was just recently discontinued? $4K or so is a lot of money for a 100MHz DSO and I'd be expecting a minty-fresh one with the latest firmware and a cal cert that was at least not expired by the time I got it. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf