Author Topic: Keysight products not to be sold to private customers?  (Read 12043 times)

Offline nightfireTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Keysight products not to be sold to private customers?
« on: February 21, 2021, 03:00:09 am »
Just had a look for some multimeter specs and noticed that on the website of german reseller Batronix the following text was displayed with their multimeters: "According to the manufacturer Keysight products may not be sold to private customers. Please contact our sales team"

On the welectron site a similar text appeared, that is gone now, but now the multimeters are flagged as "sale"

Anyone that can confirm this or knows whats going on and why?

Offline graybeard

• Frequent Contributor
  • Consulting III-V RF/mixed signal/device engineer
    • Chris Grossman
Re: Keysight products not to be sold to private customers?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 04:33:26 am »
There is no restriction on purchasing Keysight products from Newark or Mouser.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 04:38:33 am »
I've ordered parts and accessories from Keysight directly and bought a couple of meters from different retailers plus Keysight's eBay store.  It might be worth calling Keysight's office in Germany and speaking to them directly.

The only thing I can see a ban on selling Keysight multimeters to individuals doing is creating Fluke customers, and I don't think Keysight wants to send business over to the competition.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 05:42:37 am »
I've ordered parts and accessories from Keysight directly and bought a couple of meters from different retailers plus Keysight's eBay store.  It might be worth calling Keysight's office in Germany and speaking to them directly.

The only thing I can see a ban on selling Keysight multimeters to individuals doing is creating Fluke customers, and I don't think Keysight wants to send business over to the competition.

It is not only multimeters.  All Keysight products in Batronix same note.

Bit weird after this published just November 2020
https://www.keysight.com/sg/en/about/newsroom/news-releases/2020/1124-nr20127-keysight-expands-european-distribution-channel-.html

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:47:22 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Co6aka

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 05:48:07 am »
Some new "consumer protection" law nonsense maybe, that business entities are exempted from? :-//

("The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem." -- Milton Friedman)
Co6aka says, "BARK! and you have no idea how humans will respond."

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Jacon

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 05:59:56 am »

https://www.keysight.com/sg/en/about/newsroom/news-releases/2020/1124-nr20127-keysight-expands-european-distribution-channel-.html
:-//
No such  :blah: on my neighbors site Triotest over the ditch in Oz.
https://www.triotest.com.au/brands/keysight
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 06:56:05 am »
Hello,

because of warranty for private customer are far more extensive?

Best regards
egonotto

Offline Analog4

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 09:51:15 pm »
I just bought a Keysight scope with a Credit Card, no issue here. They even offer phone support for technical questions, no company needed.

Keysight has a list of distributors in various countries including Germany: https://www.keysight.com/main/partnerfinder.jspx?N=1+187691+187535&pageMode=PF&cc=DE&lc=ger&tmprop=TM

Datatec does not seem to have an obvious disclaimer: https://www.datatec.de/keysight-dsox1202g

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 12:41:20 am »

That webpage lists the phone number of Keysight's sales representative. Call them up and see what they say about this policy!  While you're at it, ask them how many potential Keysight customers do they estimate that this announcement has driven to their competitors!   :o

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 03:39:57 am »
Maybe a condition of some wholesale pricing deal perhaps?
But yeah, that's  :-//

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 04:50:03 am »
Maybe it has to do with a new regulation in Germany?

I used to buy parts from Rohde & Schwarz (USA) but the last time I put in an order, after they took it, they turned around and notified me that their home office will no longer let them sell to individuals.

So, the last instruments I bought were from Keysight, Rigol, and Siglent.  They're all happy to take your money.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 07:08:17 pm »
Probably some silly safety regulation like gun control or knife control laws that never impact the criminals anyway.  This seems to be the way in many countries as anything that might be seen as professional needs to be kept out of the hands of commoners.   God forbid; somebody might hurt themselves.   

I actually have not idea what is going on in europe but we have seen how silly some of the regulations coming out of the EU are.   I know that Keysight (whom ever they are today) doesn't have an issue selling to people here.   it would be nice to get an official comment from Keysight so all of this speculation can be put aside.

This seems to be especially strange to come up this year when so many people are working outside the office, often with personally owned tools.  Just poor timing maybe.   Or maybe the local office in Gemany is staffed with people that don't like to work with small fry.   All around strange really.

Maybe it has to do with a new regulation in Germany?

I used to buy parts from Rohde & Schwarz (USA) but the last time I put in an order, after they took it, they turned around and notified me that their home office will no longer let them sell to individuals.

So, the last instruments I bought were from Keysight, Rigol, and Siglent.  They're all happy to take your money.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline nightfireTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 09:35:39 pm »
Well, I can think of serveral reasons not to sell expensive gear via online shopping/mail order to individuals: Due to german laws, any supplier is required to take back any order without given reason within 14 days. So it is not uncommon that people order expensive stuff like cameras, go to vacation and return the stuff in time- so the seller has lots of hassle doing the return and can sell the gear only for reduced price to the next buyer.
Some shops that do photographic gear list the expensive cameras in their shop, but claim that first-time-buyers need some personal demonstration in the store before buying to protect against this kind of customers.

But this would only explain why gear above some magic mark would be affected, maybe the oscilloscopes and bench DMMs etc.- the handheld DMMs are quite cheap compared to the rest...

Or lots of untrained wannabes create lots of hassle within support, so they try to cut them off...

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 11:54:55 pm »
Its just one seller who doesnt sell to private customers. And they just became a Keysight distributor. So i wouldnt expect it to be a regulation thing.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 10:32:16 am »
Datatec does not seem to have an obvious disclaimer: https://www.datatec.de/keysight-dsox1202g
They need not have a disclaimer, since they don't sell to private customers in general. See AGB.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 11:21:43 am »
:popcorn:

(Don't mind me, I'm here just waiting for someone to drop in and say that because they can buy secondhand Keysight products off eBay just fine, you're all lying.)

Offline Alex P

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 11:51:16 am »
Same here in the Netherlands.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 12:55:11 pm »

Maybe that is an unintended consequence of consumer protection laws?  The Netherlands and EU seem to be similar to what has been mentioned for Germany.
Source: https://www.consumentenbond.nl/juridisch-advies/koop-op-afstand?icmp=juridischadvies_home_tekstlink_keuzehulpaankoopdeur
This [online vs. in-store purchases] is different when purchasing a product on the internet, by telephone or at the door (colportage). A statutory reflection period of 14 days applies for this.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 01:05:40 pm »
In portuguese we say something like "pay the righteous for the sinner". And we're probably seeing the consequences of many people abusing that drive by method of experimenting/using things and returning them.

Recent statistics show that, for major online retailers, 25% of returned goods go to the waste bin...

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 01:14:01 pm »
They need not have a disclaimer, since they don't sell to private customers in general. See AGB.

got my stuff from Datatec, however a Keysight manager told them that they needed to sell me a scope.

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 01:16:27 pm »
What precisely are you referring to in “ silly EU regulations “ and what has gun control to do with it. The EU doesn’t and has never set firearms policy , that’s a national competence
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:18:30 pm by MadScientist »
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

The following users thanked this post: Qw3rtzuiop

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 01:19:35 pm »

Maybe that is an unintended consequence of consumer protection laws?  The Netherlands and EU seem to be similar to what has been mentioned for Germany.
Source: https://www.consumentenbond.nl/juridisch-advies/koop-op-afstand?icmp=juridischadvies_home_tekstlink_keuzehulpaankoopdeur
This [online vs. in-store purchases] is different when purchasing a product on the internet, by telephone or at the door (colportage). A statutory reflection period of 14 days applies for this.

I suspect this is the reason.
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 03:06:21 pm »
What precisely are you referring to in “ silly EU regulations “ and what has gun control to do with it. The EU doesn’t and has never set firearms policy , that’s a national competence

no, that's not true anymore. See the latest Firearms directive which has outlawed quite a lot of nice machinery practically overnite over here.

Offline YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 03:16:29 pm »
no, that's not true anymore. See the latest Firearms directive which has outlawed quite a lot of nice machinery practically overnite over here.
What part? i just had a quick read and didn't see anything specific to machinery, can you give an example of machinery outlawed?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 03:23:42 pm »
In portuguese we say something like "pay the righteous for the sinner". And we're probably seeing the consequences of many people abusing that drive by method of experimenting/using things and returning them.

Recent statistics show that, for major online retailers, 25% of returned goods go to the waste bin...
Funny you mention that; in Brasil we always had a hard time purchasing "professional/specialized" equipment, parts, etc from distributors - a lot of them chose not to sell to the end customer as they didn't want to deal with the hassle of returns/warranty/etc. (despite the return policy in Brasil being mostly targeted to manufacturing defects and not "change of heart").

That was not necessarily the case for test gear, but it affected a lot of other products.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:25:56 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf