Author Topic: Keysight 6673A and N3300A, worth buying?  (Read 338 times)

Offline reef.piTopic starter

Keysight 6673A and N3300A, worth buying?
« on: September 28, 2024, 04:26:01 pm »
Hello,

Since it's my first post I'll do a quick intro, I'm a 49 y.o professional, doing embedded microcntrollers firmware development, done that for over 25 years, electronics is more of a hobby, never had the time to do more projects. I do Altium schematic and PCB design and in the past used to be quite good with Cadence, formely OrCAD, and Proteus suite.

Approaching 50, I figured out it is the time to do more of  the things I love, Ive always been an enthusiastic electronics DIY hobbyist, but also never had the time to really do much about it. Now, I'm looking to find the time and do some hobby electronics, finally :)

Setting up a lab, looking to purchase some equipment, mostly going to be used for ham radio projects, home automation, green energy and generic hobbyist projects, anything goes.

I have someone local who has a Keysight N3300A, SN MY53xxx and a 6673 SN MY57, so not that old really. Looking good, aesthetically, both power on. The N3300A comes without any module. Asking price for both is £290, about $375.

I know they are big and noisy, that's something I have to consider. But the real question is, do they (still) worth the money, good equipment for a hobby lab?

Thanks.

Cornel

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Keysight 6673A and N3300A, worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2024, 06:48:47 pm »
The price is OK-ish but I'd pass on both. I replaced my N3000A series DC load with one from Korad. Much higher resolution (the DC load got a little modification to squeeze a bit more performance from it even though it already was far beyond the N3000A series as-is), a bit smaller and way less fan noise. The same goes for a bench supply. You can buy decent ones (starting with the ones from Korad) for little money.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: TomWinTejas, reef.pi

Offline zrq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2024, 12:45:14 pm »
6673A? It's a 35V, 60A, 2kW beast... It maybe useful and worth getting if you need such power and need a low-noise supply, but note it's 28 kg!, takes 170 W at idle, and this high power rating means programming resolution and load response time are poor. I would not use it as a general purpose bench supply.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2024, 01:25:14 pm »
The 6673A is a switching PSU so forget about low noise. I have the 20V / 100A model and it is very suitable for doing high power stuff but not as a general purpose bench power supply. At 60A most things that cause a short go up in smoke.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: reef.pi

Offline reef.piTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2024, 05:19:28 pm »
Thank you guys for the advices, much appreciated.

Right now, I can't think of any project that will require so many amps. Maybe simulate (to some extend) PV panels?  Test a BMS? Not that I have any of such tings at the moment.

If I equally split the asking price of £290, each unit costs £145 (about $190). Fair price? Or just get the power supply since the load has no fitted modules and they seem to cost a fortune?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2024, 06:06:57 pm »
Unless you really need the power supply for something, I would not buy it at this moment. These power supplies do come up on Ebay regulary and can be bought for little money.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf