Author Topic: Iwatsu Ts-8123  (Read 4133 times)

Offline phaseformTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Iwatsu Ts-8123
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »
Can't seem to find much info on this scope and I'm wondering what one's worth. I know nothing about oscilloscope brands and I don't want to buy a piece of junk for my first scope

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Iwatsu Ts-8123
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:55:21 pm »
Can't seem to find much info on this scope and I'm wondering what one's worth. I know nothing about oscilloscope brands and I don't want to buy a piece of junk for my first scope

I guess you mean this one:

It's an old 100MHz modular analog scope with storage tube. There isn't much information around for this scope but it's at least 30 years old, and unless you're into collecting old and somewhat rare test instruments it's not worth spending any money on, especially not as the first scope for a beginner. Aside from the fact that as an analog scope its capabilities are extremely limited, simply because of its age it will also be close to the end of its service life. And finding a service manual and schematics will very likely be a challenge, which you'll need to fix it if it fails (aside from a second scope!). Plus, I'm not sure but I vaguely remember that these scopes contain some proprietary components which these days are essentially unobtainium.

In general, don't bother with an old analog boat anchors, unless it's free and works. These days very little money buys you a decent new digital scope, i.e. the Siglent SDS1072CML/CNL or the Rigol DS1054z.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 04:59:41 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline phaseformTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 11:31:22 am »
ahh cool thanks for the heads up, I don't *need* a scope so I'll keep looking I guess.. Don't need more junk in the might-fix-one-day pile  :)

Offline nev23

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 11:26:20 am »
I have one of these, and it WAS free and it DOES work!.
But I have never found a service manual for it.
It does its job beautifully, and digital storage on something this old, at 100MHz, is amazing!
My other scopes are also old (and working).
Anyone got a manual for a HP 1806A dual differential 100uV plug in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf