Author Topic: Minimal Setup for pyVISA & NI GPIB-USB-HS  (Read 2584 times)

Offline JohnPiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Minimal Setup for pyVISA & NI GPIB-USB-HS
« on: March 24, 2019, 11:57:50 pm »
I'm trying to setup a new PC (Win10 Pro) with pyVISA. in the past, I've done this type of thing by installing massive NI libraries & setups -- these run multiple services in the background and in the end I'm not sure what is/isn't necessary and I don't like arbitrary software running on my machines.

Does anyone have a description of the minimal setup needed ? e.g. Can I get by with just the NI GPIB-USB-HS drivers (doesn't seem so) ? I'm sure I don't need the NI PXI services, nor the network services, but what about the other 'helpers' ? Do I need the whole NI-VISA installation ? Can I just extract and move the necessary files from it ?

Offline JohnPiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Minimal Setup for pyVISA & NI GPIB-USB-HS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 11:16:55 pm »
Any hints on this ? I'm setting up and new machine and have to go through this again  :-//

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 09:33:27 pm »
I have never tried this, but what I can tell you, is that on the hardware side you will need the USB driver for the GPIB-USB-HS (just check the driver name on another system with NI-VISA installed), and on the Python side, for PyVISA you will need visa-32.dll or visa-64.dll (depending on if you use a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Python), and if you would access GPIB through PyVISA-py, you would need gpib-32.dll (looks like this only supports 32-bit Python). As for what is needed to make those components communicate, like other DLL files, drivers or services, that would require trial and error, or investigating an existing NI-VISA installation using tools like Process Monitor or Dependency Walker. If you go through this exercise, then please post the results here.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 09:37:02 pm »
Recently I dabbled a bit with PyVisa and the latest version no longer depends on NI-VISA libraries. At least on Linux.

Edit: the library for a pure Python instrument interface is called pyvisa-py (https://pyvisa-py.readthedocs.io/en/stable/ ). The only interface not supported seem to be hardware GPIB cards. Serial port, ethernet and USBTMC seem to be supported.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 11:15:22 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 10:52:32 pm »
If you buy a VXI11 Ethernet-GPIB adapter (e.g. I use AD007s) you don't need to install USB drivers, you just add pyvisa-py to your pip list and go! Also, routing, sharing between hosts, and passthrough to VM becomes trivial :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf