Author Topic: ITECH IT6302 power supply - any teardowns/reviews?  (Read 7454 times)

Offline toliTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
ITECH IT6302 power supply - any teardowns/reviews?
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:42:32 pm »
I've stumbled upon this power supply yesterday while browsing for something quite different. At first it looked quite similar to the layout of my BK precision 8500 electronic load - so I started looking for more info and seems like it is indeed the same device as on of BK's power supplies. I assume that just like the 8500, it is the OEM manufacturer for the instrument sold by BK.

Then, while I wasn't looking for a new power supply, the IT6302 seemed quite interesting. The main advantage for me is the small form factor, the 1mV/1mA reading resolution, combined with the low price. I've seen it on AliExpress for ~330$ shipped. However, looking for some teardown/review showed up with no results.
Spec wise it seems ok. The voltage/current values are on par with my current PS's (older "Sun-Rise" re-branded units), and is more than sufficient for most of my needs. However, the ripple/noise isn't too great at ~1mVrms, and a few mArms.

Has anyone purchased one of these and could share his opinion on the unit (inside picture are also welcome :)). I'd really like to know how it compares with other low cost power supplies, such as the DP832 from Rigol which seems like a low cost favorite.

My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

Offline MikeP

• Regular Contributor
Re: ITECH IT6302 power supply - any teardowns/reviews?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 06:28:42 am »
 Hello toli.

This PS hasn't 1mV/1mA reading resolution. See DS. http://www.itech.sh/Upload/File/20171023145720.pdf
 I have Keithley 2231. In general they are the same. VERY noisy (fan). Has low accuracy for small values. Not the best soldering. In the rest everything corresponds to the price and specifications.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:07:12 am »
You are correct, its 10mV/1mA, seems like the more relevant of the two is indeed 1mA.

If anyone has one of these and could share teardown photos I think it would be interesting nonetheless.

Offline insine

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:44:20 pm »
Here is a teardown of Keithley 2231A-30-3 which is identical to IT6302, except front panel design:

You can also find a teardown of IT6322 (higher model with better accuracy and voltage resolution). The main PCB seems to be exactly the same:

The following users thanked this post: brainstorm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 08:00:13 am »
Thank you for the links. I didn't realize that the Keithley was the exact same instrument. I was under the impression that BK are the only company that sells this item under their name. Especially since the front panel seems somewhat different on the Keithley.

If both BK and Keithley are selling this item with their name on the front, this definitely gives ITech a few point in their favor.

Offline lukasz.kostka

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 03:18:58 pm »
I've disassembled mine. Pics below.

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 07:46:49 pm »
I'd have a hard time going back to a power supply I could not control over the network. I design embedded systems and use network control when testing new firmware more than I expected.  For that reason alone the Rigol DP832 would be my choice in this price range. (But note: getting LXI does require hacking the 832 unless you pay for the 832A.)

Offline lukasz.kostka

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 07:51:57 pm »
No problem with Itech. I've bought a TTL separator and all works fine through serial.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 06:50:50 pm »
I've stumbled upon this power supply yesterday while browsing for something quite different. At first it looked quite similar to the layout of my BK precision 8500 electronic load - so I started looking for more info and seems like it is indeed the same device as on of BK's power supplies. I assume that just like the 8500, it is the OEM manufacturer for the instrument sold by BK.

Then, while I wasn't looking for a new power supply, the IT6302 seemed quite interesting. The main advantage for me is the small form factor, the 1mV/1mA reading resolution, combined with the low price. I've seen it on AliExpress for ~330$ shipped. However, looking for some teardown/review showed up with no results.
Spec wise it seems ok. The voltage/current values are on par with my current PS's (older "Sun-Rise" re-branded units), and is more than sufficient for most of my needs. However, the ripple/noise isn't too great at ~1mVrms, and a few mArms.

Has anyone purchased one of these and could share his opinion on the unit (inside picture are also welcome :)). I'd really like to know how it compares with other low cost power supplies, such as the DP832 from Rigol which seems like a low cost favorite.

ITech is actually a fully-owned subsidiary of BK Precision (https://www.bkprecision.com/about-us.html). As far as anyone knows, the BK PRecision Loads and 91xx series power supplies are the exact same as the ITech equivalents, just intended for different markets. From my understanding, these were designed and built by ITech (from which a lead engineer left and founded Array and Maynuo).
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 01:04:34 am »
Despite the transformer has a typo on the label ("vender"), I love how they labeled all the transformer taps.

It looks quite a decent supply.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf