Author Topic: Ebay stuff and power cord  (Read 1411 times)

Offline tkamiyaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Ebay stuff and power cord
« on: July 13, 2018, 08:17:02 pm »
I've been wondering about this and it is quite curious to me.

Why do both sellers and buyers make SUCH a big deal about power cords?  It's probably the most standarized and abundunt type of cord in electronics.  Sellers make sure they state "Power cord not included" as if it is one of the most important qualifications. 

Sure enough, I once sold something and I said cables are not included.  Someone bought my item and complained the power CORD was not included.  He further stated that CORD is not the same as CABLE per IEEE which HE is a proud member.... 

It's just SO odd.  I can understand if whatever the item has unique and hard to obtain kind, but not so.  The standard 3 pin cord, which I don't know what the official name is elebated to such a high status that it get mentioned on every for sale post....

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Ebay stuff and power cord
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 08:21:01 pm »
I think this is stupid if they're being purposely removed. Why not just include the cord? It's a pain in the ass to have to track one down if you don't happen to have a spare.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:24:52 pm »
I seem to have bloody hundreds of the things - until I need a specific variant when I discover that I have hundreds, except for the specific variant that I want.

I try to sell working equipment with a cord. Non working stuff depends how I feel when I list the item but usually I don't bother including a mains cord.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline tkamiyaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:31:53 pm »
I have a box full of them.  They are new in sealed bags, too.

Maybe I should list them for bidding.....  RARE FIND!  POWER CORD!!!

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:37:27 pm »
On a lot of older equipment, the power cord actually IS a rare find. Standards have changed over the years and the old ones are no longer manufactured.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:17 pm »
Sure enough, I once sold something and I said cables are not included.  Someone bought my item and complained the power CORD was not included.  He further stated that CORD is not the same as CABLE per IEEE which HE is a proud member.... 

It's just SO odd.  I can understand if whatever the item has unique and hard to obtain kind, but not so.  The standard 3 pin cord, which I don't know what the official name is elebated to such a high status that it get mentioned on every for sale post....

Dude is a total jerk, but could possibly go after you for a refund if you had listed the item as "Used" and not "For parts". Because it does not work without the power cord included right?
Plug you are thinking of is probably NEMA 5-15p to IEC320 C13.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:44:02 pm »
There is a D shaped power cord, common, but there is also some similar that has somewhat individual rounded edges around each prong. I only have two of those  :scared:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 03:43:45 am »
If it's not very clearly stated, people will complain about it. This way they still might, but at least you're covered.

Power cords can also cause damage while shipping, sometimes a lot of it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 04:34:11 pm »
I try to always include a cord, I have a big pile of them, or did anyway, I can never seem to find one at the moment I need it. I've never complained about the lack of a cord when I buy something but you encounter all types I suppose. When I sell something I make sure to take a lot of pictures so anyone buying it knows exactly what they're getting. If it's not in the picture then it's not included.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf