Author Topic: HP 3325B Signal Generator Presentation  (Read 11483 times)

Offline psykokTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
HP 3325B Signal Generator Presentation
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:09:17 pm »
Hi,

I hunted for a long time until I found a replacement to my Waveteck FG3B Signal Generator.
The big issue was to found something that enters my budget more that my requirements.

Recently I scored a nice HP 3325B for 120€ on eBay.

The front panel was in realy durty condition but after cleaning it looks almost new

A quick look inside the beast

It's amazing how this Signal Generator works good.
I don't know exactly the age of this instrument but it's for sure around 15 year old.
I made some quick measurements and it's still in the specs, may be not 100% but that's 100x enough for me  ^-^

Currently the only issues I have with my new toy are that almost connections are located on the back and the room needed on my bench.

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:25:31 pm by psykok »

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: HP 3325B Signal Generator Presentation
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:24:05 pm »
Definitely a nice instrument. My everyday-use function generator is its older brother the 3325A :-+

I don't know exactly the age of this instrument but it's for sure around 15 year old.

About twenty-three, by the 1991 date code visible in the second-to-last picture on an IC.

The analog boards look almost identical to the 3325A. Digital's changed completely, though, except for the (IIRC) frequency generator board. It certainly looks like it doesn't have the vast mountain of 7400-series - the 3325A implements its entire GPIB transceiver as a 7400-series state machine!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:27:42 pm by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:52:21 pm »
It's easy to determine the age of any piece of HP test equipment.  Look at the serial number.  The first four digits are the date code.  The year is represented as the number of years since 1960.  Yours looks like 2847.  If true, your unit was made in 1988, week 47.

Ed

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:37:43 pm »
It's easy to determine the age of any piece of HP test equipment.  Look at the serial number.  The first four digits are the date code.  The year is represented as the number of years since 1960.  Yours looks like 2847.  If true, your unit was made in 1988, week 47.

Ed

You are right the serial start with 2847
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of the HP serial format.

Alex

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »
Interesting. I can see more than one 1991 date code in that photo. I wonder if either that board was replaced at some point, or if those chips have a number that reads an awful lot like a date code but isn't...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 06:48:39 pm »
Definitely a nice instrument. My everyday-use function generator is its older brother the 3325A :-+

About twenty-three, by the 1991 date code visible in the second-to-last picture on an IC.

The analog boards look almost identical to the 3325A. Digital's changed completely, though, except for the (IIRC) frequency generator board. It certainly looks like it doesn't have the vast mountain of 7400-series - the 3325A implements its entire GPIB transceiver as a 7400-series state machine!

Yes they change the front panel and specilly the old hard buttons to the new soft one.

You can make a story only with the HP button true the age :)
For me it started with my calculator a HP 48GX and now it continue with my electronic instruments (8903a, 3325b ....)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:23:19 pm »
Yes they change the front panel and specilly the old hard buttons to the new soft one.
Good job on cleaning the front panel  :-+
I really hate the old 'click' plastic buttons on HP equipment so much I don't buy it. The rubber buttons are a major improvement.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:25 pm »
For cleaning I used isopropyl alcohol, it's the best solution to clean something without damaging the support.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:09:23 pm »
Be careful though; alcohol does dissolve some paint and plastics. I mostly use an equivalent of 'simple green' called stMarcs.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Mandelbrot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 04:44:59 am »
My function generator is an HP 3325A which, if that serial number dating works was made in 48th week 1977 which would make mine a very early unit. Nearly all my equipment is older than I am. I actually really like the clicky buttons on it except I had to open it up to slip some of the springs back in place. It's actually missing a couple; does anyone know if these flat steel springs are obtainable for a reasonable price?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 06:24:01 am »
Be careful though; alcohol does dissolve some paint and plastics. I mostly use an equivalent of 'simple green' called stMarcs.

I think you are talking about this StMarc :

If yes be careful this cleaning product contain Sodium Carbonate and can also dissolve paint and make spot on aluminium parts.

Isopropyl Alcohol is commonly used in all PCB and electronic cleaning solution and I never heard issue with plastics.
The only issue I had the last time was with a PCB varnish which turn from shiny to matt after cleaning the soldering residue.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:34:25 am »

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:46:16 am »
It's actually missing a couple; does anyone know if these flat steel springs are obtainable for a reasonable price?
I doubt that the springs will be available. It might be possible to fashion replacements out of shim-steel (or feeler gauge) material.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:36 am »
It's possible to make them from 0.05mm spring steel sheet. Just look for real hard 0.05mm spring steel (not soft stainless "spring" steel) on ebay and then cut them with scissors.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 12:01:32 pm »
Actually the feeler gauge stock is perfect if you get the correct thickness, (Starrett comes to mind, but others make too).
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf