Author Topic: Philips PM5193 a decent function gen?  (Read 6758 times)

Offline SolarisTopic starter

Philips PM5193 a decent function gen?
« on: August 14, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »
im thinking about upgrading to a better function generator, one with more functionality than what i currently own.
definitely one that doesn't have "60 cycles per second" written on the back.

i would prefer millihertz range all the way up to 50MHz, and be able to do square, triangle, sawtooth ect.

i was browsing ebay and found a couple that look promising. the HP 8116A looks good, and agilent 33120a seems great as well but is only 15Mhz.
the philips PM5193 caught my eye, it looks the most promising. the prices for all of these flutter around 300-500 dollars.

i have no reference to go by, test equipment brand new generally is very expensive. i wouldn't know if it would be a good deal used.
so, would it be stupid for me to drop almost 500 dollars on a 15 year old philips function generator?
electronic test equipment appear to age well, or so i think.

what would you say would be a fair price for these?
or, is it just a waste of money to buy something this old.

Offline rstoer

• Regular Contributor
Re: Philips PM5193 a decent function gen?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:35:57 pm »
I don't own a PM5193 but I do have a PM5138A (which is from the same line) and it's a very nice, dependable unit. The entire PM51xx line was made in Germany and was top-shelf equipment at the time.

With that said, they're closer to 25 years old than 15, especially if it says Philips and not Fluke. Don't quote me on the exact years but about 1987 Fluke and Philips formed the "Fluke Philips Alliance" where they agreed to distribute each others equipment. Units made during that time will have a badge to that effect on the top cover at the front left. In the very early 90s Fluke bought Philips outright and units produced after that will be branded as Fluke. Of the Philips branded units, the ones with the black anodized face are the oldest, silver being later. Specs and service manuals are readily available on-line.

Lastly, be patient. Many dealers are asking outrageous prices. Do a search to see what they've actually be selling for. I did and in the US, clean working units can be bought under $300. I wouldn't pay more. 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:27:13 pm by rstoer »

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:09:21 pm »
I had a couple of the Philips PM5139 and they never gave me any problems.
The big knob in the front was excellent and precise to make any selections
The reason I sold them them was the fact, that they did not have a pulse signal
output capability.

Last year I sold both of them on ebay Germany, I think I got around Euro 300 each
in perfect condition.

I see one on ebay USA right now for an outrageously high price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-Philips-PM5139-023-20-MHz-Function-Generator-PM-5139-/130802340323

If all you need is sine, square, triangle and sawtooth, this is a very good function generator
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »
hi! sorry for not replying earlier... just wanted to say thanks for helping me out!

i will take the advice and sneak around on ebay and until i score a PM5193 function generator for cheap!

Online lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:33 pm »
definitely one that doesn't have "60 cycles per second" written on the back.

Is this not just the rated mains power line frequency for the unit  :-//.
One would assume the unit, (what ever the unit is!), would have its frequency range printed on the front, or is implicit from the freq. controls.

How ever the Philips unit does look nice. If you do go that direction (for cheap!) make sure it is in good working order, not much fun trying to fix something that might contain hard or impossible to get parts.

The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 02:15:19 am »
when i said "definitely one that doesn't have 60 cycles per second written on the back." i was saying it as a joke because of its incredible age, before hertz they apparently called it "cycles per second". the frequency gen i currently own is an HP 200CD and there is a label on the back that specifies the AC input as 110 volts at 60 cycles per second.

spec sheet lists its range as 5cps to 600kc and 20 volts open circuit, 10 volts at 160 milliwatts into a 600ohm load. it was produced by HP in the mid to late 1950's and i got it for 20 dollars already calibrated.

i used it in conjunction with an amplifier to drive a large subwoofer connected to a long section of PVC pipe which generated infrasound down to 12hz. allot of other silly stuff too, like using a CRT tv as an oscilloscope, driving a fly-back transformer. the unit works well but its pretty much useless for anything that requires high frequency or a waveform other than sine.

i just found out on HP's website that they have a virtual museum complete with the exact unit i own. you can spin it around :scared: and look at it. kinda cool.

maybe when im done with it i will mail it to dave :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf