Author Topic: Rigol DP900 vs DP800 Power Supply Opinions  (Read 9948 times)

Offline ElectronBeltTopic starter

Rigol DP900 vs DP800 Power Supply Opinions
« on: January 20, 2024, 03:58:08 pm »
Hello all,

I'm trying to put a lab back together and was hoping any users having experience with these units could chime in or let me know if I'm taking a bad road. Most of my experience is with 'old school' type equipment, so pretty much everything available today is a completely different breed to what I had been accustomed to operating.

While originally trying to decide between the Siglent SPD3303X(E) and the Rigol DP832(A), I found myself leaning towards the DP832(A) due to some of its features, including but not limited to things like.... simply having numeric keys on the face plate. The lack of all three channels being fully isolated is a bit of a disappointment however.

I then noticed the DP900 series, which appears to be a minor revision/replacement for the DP800, being very similar in spec, but does includes features like full channel isolation. I've been searching around and it does not seem like there is a lot of information or reviews available for the DP900 series, so I presume it is significantly newer than the DP800 line.

Right now, a DP932E can be readily found for less than that of a DP832 model in my market. It is unclear to me however, just what can be 'upgraded' on the E model and how an modified version compares to the DP832A. For instance, it looks like the DP932E does not have Digital-IO available according to the spec sheet, however, in all the pictures of the DP932E, there is clearly a IO port populated on the back of the unit and it appears a few people have reported upgrading the E model to A?

If anybody could shed some light or opinions between these two units, good or bad, I would appreciate it. Unfortunately there are no longer any shops in my area catering to this line of work so I'll have to purchase sight unseen.

Thanks in advance. 

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DP900 vs DP800 Power Supply Opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 06:48:35 am »
There is a Siglent power supply (don't reacal the exact model) with 4 channels, out of which 2 can act either as a source or as a load, IIRC they are also isolated.  DP800 certainly can only source current (so can not act like a load).

I have a DP832 bought about 10 years ago, and was reasonably OK, thought it has some pitfalls.  The most annoying for me was the fan, very noisy for a home lab, that's why my DP832 stayed mostly unused.  Numerical pad was very useful, indeed, thought the other controls were very cumbersome to use, and with software bugs.  Many were fixed with later firmware updates, but it took years, and people still find new bugs here and there, even after 10 years of firmware upgrades.  Though, the software support was good for Rigol, in the sense that they are still releasing fixes and upgrades after 10 years, they didn't abandon support.

A normal CV-CC can be used to discharge batteries, but that's more like a hack, cumbersome in practice ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/cc-cv-power-supply-as-a-contolled-load-for-batteries-(i-e-rigol-dp832)/ ).  If I were to buy again, I would chose something that can act as a load, too.  IIRC both Rigol900 and Siglent can do that, but please check the specs to be sure that is correct.  I'll probably get a Siglent, for heaving more isolated channels, more precise measurement of I/U on the front panel, and for working as a load, too.

For either Rigol or Siglent, they can be unlocked to get all the software upgrades, so you can buy the cheapest model (the hardware is the same for all the models of a given line) then unlock later to full option.

DP832 and DP832A are the same in hardware, but with different software options.  I've bought a DP832 and upgraded it later, now it's a DP832A.  I wouldn't recommend a DP832 in 2024, if it has to be a Rigol, then get the DP900, though by the specs, Siglent has plenty of extra features.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 07:01:47 am by RoGeorge »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 07:11:54 am »
There is no Rigol or Siglent PSU in current production lines that is 2-quadrant, i.e. that can source AND drain current (act as a load).
Both manufacturers have fully featured loads and a separate products.

I know GW Instek has one model that has one of the channels that can act as a load. Make not it is not seamless 2-quadrant performance but you can switch it to load mode. It is very limited in function, power and cannot do dynamic testing.

You would be literally better served by one of those "naked" cheap loads.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 07:29:23 am »
My bad, GW instek are the ones that can be either source or load:
https://www.gwinstek.com/en-GB/products/detail/GPP-Series

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf