Author Topic: Is my Rigol DS1052E damaged after 100 MHz upgrade? Strange behaviour  (Read 3714 times)

Offline MichalPLTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi, please take a look at the video and try to explain the strange behaviour of channel 2 on my Rigol DS1052E @100MHz.
I've run self-calibration before taking the shot but it didn't help. I wonder if the 100MHz hack may have caused this (and what I can do now):

https://youtu.be/c_U__KZQWSQ

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: Is my Rigol DS1052E damaged after 100 MHz upgrade? Strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:14:18 pm »
What happens if you switch triggering to channel 2 and feed a signal in?
VE7FM

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:12 pm »
Hi, I haven't set up any triggers, both channels are in free running mode if that's what you mean.

Offline pitagoras

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:25:11 pm »
There is a Dave video where he goes back and forth with the hack. Also there is a long thread about the hack.
I have a new 1054z and i am scared to hell of having such problems if I upgrade...

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »
Perhaps there's a good reason why Rigol puts more capable components into a worse scope. I mean, for istance that the same parts go both into the 50 and 100 MHz version. It may be reasonable to think that they're not stupid and that it's a similar process as in case of computer CPUs. When they see that a 100 MHz version doesn't behave like it should, but it's OK after downgrading it to 50 MHz, maybe they do so, put a label that it's a 50 MHz scope and are dealt with it. Maybe this whole thinking that we can get something for free is just wishful thinking? Just my guess. On the other hand so many people reported successful upgrades. I don't know what to think.

Anyway, does such channel 2 behaviour suggest there's something wrong with it?

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:43:29 pm »
I guess I don't see the problem.  I'm getting old...

When there is a signal on Ch 1 and the trigger is set to Ch 1 then, of course, Ch 1 is rock solid.  Ch 2 may have a slight variation in frequency.   Very slight...  Nevertheless, it won't be solid unless a) it is the IDENTICAL signal as Ch 1 or b) the frequency matches perfectly.

Duplicate the experiment with both channels and switch the triggering between Ch 1 and Ch 2.  One waveform will be stable, the other will not.

Use a BNC T connector to put the exact same signal into both channels.  They should both be locked solid.

In the several months I have had my DS1054Z, I have done the unlock and 2 upgrades.  All has worked perfectly.

The following users thanked this post: MichalPL

Online hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:44:22 pm »
There is nothing wrong with your scope.

You are triggering on channel 1.

Look at the top left - when the signal is steady, it shows T'D (short for triggered)

For a fair comparison of the two channels, switch to external trigger and connect nothing to the trigger input
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:08:01 pm by hexreader »

The following users thanked this post: MichalPL

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 10:04:15 pm »
Gosh :palm:, thanks a lot!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:29 am »
Perhaps there's a good reason why Rigol puts more capable components into a worse scope. I mean, for istance that the same parts go both into the 50 and 100 MHz version. It may be reasonable to think that they're not stupid and that it's a similar process as in case of computer CPUs. When they see that a 100 MHz version doesn't behave like it should, but it's OK after downgrading it to 50 MHz, maybe they do so, put a label that it's a 50 MHz scope and are dealt with it.

No. It's simply cheaper to only manufacture/supply a single device then set then capabilities when orders arrive. Somebody orders 1000 'scopes at 50MHz? You take 1000 out of the stock and make them 50MHz.

On the other hand so many people reported successful upgrades. I don't know what to think.

Trust them.

(especially around here where everything is analyzed to death)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf