Author Topic: is happening?  (Read 11377 times)

Offline israelTopic starter

• Contributor
is happening?
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:43:22 pm »
Much has been said about Chinese laboratory equipment, which on paper are equal to or better than other major brands.

in this case there are similar ... ARE EQUAL.

as I'm happy with my SIGLENT wave generator sdg-1020, I purchased a second generator (SDG-1025).

in this forum you speak lecroy generators, but looking on ebay these generators observe a difference in price between them.

there are real improvements in respect to SIGLENT vs lecroy?

price differences are grotesque

datasheets are identical even :-// :-// :-// :-//

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siglent-wareform-function-Generator-Counter-SDG1025-2chs-25Mhz-125MSa-s-16K-AWG-/290876041558?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item43b9902956

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LeCroy-WaveStation-2022-25-MHz-Function-Arbitrary-Waveform-Generator-/160904218038?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2576a385b6

http://www.siglent.com/UploadFiles/en/Files/DataSheet/SDG1000_datasheet_en.pdf

http://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/pdf/wavestation_datasheet.pdf

Regards,

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: is happening?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:46:56 pm »
They are obviously the exact same instrument. LeCroy is clearly trying to make money off their name without doing any actual design work by rebadging Siglents. Shame...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline JimmyMz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:18:09 pm »
It's very sickening to see the price difference. The internet put an end to import products costing FAR more than the retailer is charging. I'm an American, and as much as I hate to say it...I assume the U.S.A. must rank near the top of a fictional list titled, "Charges $xx.xx More-Than Actual Import Product Cost." Please, don't assume I don't know Lecroy is a French owned company, because I do. This thread just gave me a chance to put a microscope on top of import products and the horrifyingly high prices charges to frequently unsuspecting, hard working buyers.   
If you didn't get this message, let me know, and I'll get you another.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:20:47 pm »
"Frequently unsuspecting, hard working buyers" aren't the ones buying these turds.

Offline JimmyMz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:05:30 pm »
"Frequently unsuspecting, hard working buyers" aren't the ones buying these turds.
What do you mean?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:12:57 pm »
These are for businesses and schools that refuse to buy anything from a brand they don't recognize. If Dick H. Jr. in Bean Counting thinks it's better to buy from LeCroy than Siglent, that's between him and Dick H. Sr. in management who hired him. No hard-working individuals are paying for these out of pocket.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:23:44 pm »
Lecroy is a French owned company,
The Swiss navy is now launching their warships ... LeCroy is (was) swiss... now owned by Teledyne
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:36:47 pm »
No hard-working individuals are paying for these out of pocket.

They probably are, but proxied by the Tax Faerie.  ;)

Offline JimmyMz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:41:10 pm »
The Swiss navy is now launching their warships ... LeCroy is (was) swiss... now owned by Teledyne
Wow, I unsuspectingly painted the picture of a practice I find greedy, and added an exception (i.e. French heritage), but after your post I Google searched. I found, "Teledyne Technologies, Inc. is an industrial conglomerate primarily based in the United States but with global operations," and now realize I never needed to add the exception. This type of overcharging on imported products is shameful!

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:53:00 pm »
:=\

Shameful to mark it up? Bullshit. Anybody who is in the business of selling things wants to make money doing it, that's kind of how selling works. If people still want to buy from them, who cares? You can still get the original from Siglent and spend closer to what it's worth, it's not like LeCroy has a monopoly on function generators.

What's shameful is rebadging... It's always sad to see a business go from "test equipment company" to "money company".....

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:10:10 pm »
Please, don't assume I don't know Lecroy is a French owned company, because I do. 

LeCroy was found in 1964 in Chestnut Ridge, New York ... And they still have their headquarter there.

They started this Siglent/Atten re-badging before they were bought by Teledyne. Maybe to tart up the bride before the marriage. Oh, and by the way, Teledyne has its headquarter in Thousand Oaks, CA.

Unless California and New York are now part of France they aren't a French company. They aren't a Swiss company either. They were and are an American company - ripping the world off since 1964 if you want to say so.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:13:13 pm by Bored@Work »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 10:56:06 pm »
I think it's sickening because it means they haven't even bothered to engineer a decent product -- these Siglents are rife with bugs/problems, the PC software rarely works, plus they are generally very poorly made. This is a common issue with re-badged products, like LCD/LED TVs, DVD players, etc. with "Toshiba" and "Sharp" written on them, are 99% rebadged products from China or somewhere else, only higher end are in-house engineered. So you get same quality as supermarket product, but at 50% more!

Offline JimmyMz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 11:16:54 pm »
Unless California and New York are now part of France they aren't a French company. They aren't a Swiss company either. They were and are an American company - ripping the world off since 1964 if you want to say so.
Could you have been bothered to read the whole 1 page thread? It appears you missed something :clap:. Trying to be a smart-ass works much better when you're fully informed. Although, I think you did a great job on the Google search information you provided.

@c4757p You asked who cares, and I raised my hand. Just because a product sale doesn't (absolutely) effect me, I still have empathy for others facing greedy sales tactics. I suppose we are polar opposites on this topic, and that's fine. As far as I'm concerned, tame disagreements are okay.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:28:20 pm by JimmyMz »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 03:26:23 am »
It's the old adage, "Nobody ever got fired for buying (IBM / HP / Intel)"

IBM computers
HP Printers
Intel processors
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 03:32:12 am »
It's "nobody ever got fired for buying (IBM / HP / Intel)" combined with "who cares if we make products as long as we make money".

@c4757p You asked who cares, and I raised my hand. Just because a product sale doesn't (absolutely) effect me, I still have empathy for others facing greedy sales tactics.

I can understand that. I don't really think anyone's facing greedy sales tactics, to be honest - it's their own dumb choice to buy the thing at a higher price even though a cursory look at Google would tell them they could get it for less. But I will agree that there is at least a slightly dodgy element to it. Like I said, they've become a "money company" rather than a "test equipment company". You know as a business owner that your business is a shell of what it once was, when your "customers" no longer own any of your products...

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 03:36:44 am »
It's the old adage, "Nobody ever got fired for buying (IBM / HP / Intel)"

HP Printers

We need to change this. I say they should be run out of town with a LaserJet strapped to their backs...

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 03:38:04 am »
It's "nobody ever got fired for buying (IBM / HP / Intel)" combined with "who cares if we make products as long as we make money".

@c4757p You asked who cares, and I raised my hand. Just because a product sale doesn't (absolutely) effect me, I still have empathy for others facing greedy sales tactics.

I can understand that. I don't really think anyone's facing greedy sales tactics, to be honest - it's their own dumb choice to buy the thing at a higher price even though a cursory look at Google would tell them they could get it for less. But I will agree that there is at least a slightly dodgy element to it. Like I said, they've become a "money company" rather than a "test equipment company". You know as a business owner that your business is a shell of what it once was, when your "customers" no longer own any of your products...

Well HP rebadges Rigol, VW rebadges the Dodge Caravan as the Routan, Porsche rebadges the VW Tuareg as the Cayenne.
It happens.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 03:44:17 am »
All of those are sad. I don't think they're wrong, just sad.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 05:20:55 am »
Could you have been bothered to read the whole 1 page thread? It appears you missed something :clap:. Trying to be a smart-ass works much better when you're fully informed. Although, I think you did a great job on the Google search information you provided.

I did, but In your xenophobia you couldn't even be bothered to do a google search to inform yourself.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 11:59:38 am »
And why doesn't this forum have a :popcorn smiley?

Anyways, on topic this sort of rebadging is indeed a bit silly. But then again so are lots of other things in the wonderful world of commerce. You can always vote with your wallet and buy the moderately priced Siglent instead of that piece of French American overpriced gear.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 01:43:16 pm »
Wow. I expected a price difference, to pay for the after sales service, warranty, etc. of the LeCroy brand. But a six-fold difference isn't just a mark-up. It is gouging, plain and simple. They are fleecing their customers who expect a genuine LeCroy engineered product. Disgusting.

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 02:15:20 pm »

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 02:46:57 pm »
a genuine LeCroy engineered product
Trust me, genuine LeCroy engineering is not that good. In fact, it's not good at all. :--
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 07:26:32 pm »
Reminds me, I did see a Porsche Cayenne that got hit on the driver's door by a 3.5 ton HiAce. He went 50m down a road normal to the direction he was going, and the taxi went through the building I was living in. With having the impact on the door the driver was fine, even if his brand new ( sub 500km ) vehicle was bent like a banana. All the airbags deployed, side, curtain, dashboard, side bolster and seatbelt tensioners. With all that the drivers door still opened, closed and latched even though it was the impact point along with the A pillar. his insurance was definitely not happy, as the taxi was of course uninsured, and they needed 5 ambulances to handle the injured in it, along with the driver having vanished into thin air. Police arrested him later.

Offline israelTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 10:00:53 pm »
I assumed it lecroy was a brand  very serious in the world of laboratory instrumentation :palm:.  but would have to know what came first... the chicken or the egg.

who copied whom?
siglent or lecroy was before?

although I think siglent (about this generator) was already in the market before lecroy.

Regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf