Author Topic: Is anyone interested in 3d printing a handle for 34401A?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline TomB19Topic starter

• Contributor
Is anyone interested in 3d printing a handle for 34401A?
« on: November 21, 2021, 08:20:53 am »
I put together a quick sketch of a handle for the 34401A.  As I understand, it will probably also fit a couple of other HP/Agilent/Keysight instruments.

I've printed the dog connector and it fits my 34401A perfectly but I haven't printed the entire handle to sweeten the fit.  It isn't something I've needed.

If someone is interested, I will hone the design and upload it to Thingiverse (or similar site) as an open source part to share with the community.  My meter doesn't have a handle so this was a clean sheet design.

Notice, it will require heavy support to print FDM and I suspect it will be more problematic to print in resin.  Still, filament isn't all that expensive.  It should *just* fit into the built space of my resin printer but it won't be an easy print there, either.

1328429-0
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 08:37:38 am by TomB19 »

Offline dorkshoei

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Is anyone interested in 3d printing a handle for 34401A?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 03:04:08 pm »
These are available (very good Chinese reproduction) in bulk.  Both handle styles and the bumpers.  You can get the handle for $25 shipped.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 03:06:10 pm by dorkshoei »

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline dorkshoei

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 03:32:14 pm »
A good reproduction of the rear plastic bezel (which often cracks especially if you've not careful removing the bumper) would be nice. 

There is a guy selling them on eBay but they don't have the original text and look to be a filament print. Better accuracy should be achievable with resin.  The color of the eBay repro also doesn't match either of the two HP versions

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 06:25:17 pm »
I appreciate the reply, darkshoei.

The 3d printed version isn't about cost saving and I'm certainly not trying to put Keysight out of business.  Also, I'm not interested in copying anyone else's product.

It would probably be difficult for a non-maker to understand how a maker thinks.  I designed a T12 iron holder, despite there being a bunch of decent ones available.  I 3d printed a couple of garbage cans in my maker space at higher cost than they can be purchased at the dollar store and I spent about 50 hours each to print them but they fit perfectly in their allotted space.  Perhaps it isn't all that far from someone like me owning a 34401A when my old 3478A was already overkill for my needs.  I just like it.

Having the source for an item lets you modify it to suit your own vision or create a new part that doesn't exist, like a hook or a different type of stand.  99% of it is a waste of time, as are all hobbies.  It brings me pleasure to look around and see a ton of stuff I have made.  This is the benefit of a hobby.

Offering to sharing this is just a gesture to the eevblog community and the open source hardware community.

Kind regards to all!

The following users thanked this post: bicycleguy

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 06:26:42 pm »
I put a fully machined 'ergonomic' handle from a old IFR instrument into my junk metal pile, so I can pick it up and think about quality when I saw the first 3d printed part for a expensive multimeter

Offline dorkshoei

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 06:36:32 pm »

It would probably be difficult for a non-maker to understand how a maker thinks. 
I am curious why you would assume I'm not a maker and/or I don't know how one thinks?

I have a cnc lathe and milling machine on which I've made many parts. 

Everyone spends their free time differently and if you want to make a handle for the 34401a (that from your cad image looks like a close facsimile of the original) when you can buy an exact reproduction for $25,  don't let me stop you. https://www.ebay.com/itm/201265455293   they will send you a 10% discount if you put the item in your watchlist,  I expect you could send a BO of the same.

I can certainly envision a different handle for the 34401a but I'm not sure its necessary.  The fact that many 34401a are sold without a handle is not because the original broke but because the unit was rack mounted and the handle discarded.  Same for the bumpers.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:56:27 pm by dorkshoei »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 06:47:19 pm »
The handle receive a good stress when you enlarge it  to move / rotate  on the casing, and you have the small notch who could brake easily ???   

not to bash on a filament printing,  the rear bezel is normally strong,  unless you do omit / force it in a way  ??  i have 3x 34401a   never had any problems with them ?

I did bought an complete  handle and front / rear rubbers bumpers for one meter  35$ usd + shipping delivered ??

It always help to have a way to make case parts, handles, knobs, feets    etc ... as i've seen here   :-+

I salute that

Offline dorkshoei

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 06:52:02 pm »
The handle receive a good stress when you enlarge it  to move / rotate  on the casing, and you have the small notch who could brake easily ???   

not to bash on a filament printing,  the rear bezel is normally strong,  unless you do omit / force it in a way  ??  i have 3x 34401a   never had any problems with them ?

The rear bezel cracks when the rubber bumper sticks to it and you try to pull the bumper off.      I'm very careful with my tools and I've personally had it happen.   I'm now super careful whenever I remove them and use some silicone spray.

I'm not entirely sure about the "??".  Are you asking a question?  Disagreeing?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 08:07:53 pm »
oh  ok    Not to derail the OP  thread

You meant

The bumpers rubber stick to the bezel,  ok   sorry,   it never happened to me,  but i admit they can be pretty tight when the rubber plastic age over time, i've seen that on other 34401a than mine.

Sometime it can harden quite a lot, they became dark / black grey and they kinda latch on the bezels ...

Mine are pale ''ish'' grey and they are still soft to the touch

Maybe add some talc on them ?? they wont stick ??

For the rear bezel reassembly, care must be taken to slot properly the casing into the rear bezel, and yes it may/could break  if its not well inserted before screwing it
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 08:13:35 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline lugaw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 01:37:06 am »
I wouldn't trust a 3D printed handle to carry my 34401A but that's just me.  I'd rather buy a reproduction one, buying the old used ones are also touch and go because they become fragile because of age. Mine just broke adjusting the position.

Offline dorkshoei

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 01:47:29 am »
Mine just broke adjusting the position.

That sucks.  All my 34401s came without handles and so all have the new reproductions.   

I think the HP design is OK but perhaps that is just relativism compared to my feelings about the handle on my Fluke 45.   I bought an NOS replacement for the Fluke 45 as it was broken and each time I have to pull it apart to adjust I'm convinced it's going to crack.  The HP handles are a way better execution of the same basic design.

This discussion got me pondering making something out of aluminum that telescopes apart at the center of the handle portion (under spring tension) avoiding the need to leverage the ends apart to adjust the position.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 04:32:34 am »
I wouldn't trust a 3D printed handle to carry my 34401A but that's just me.

So...  I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone.   ;D

Few people know how to make a strong 3d printed part.  A well printed piece will have nearly full material strength in the X and Y axis and approximately 50% in the Z (layer adhesion).  With annealing, a 3d print can be nearly as strong as an injection molded part in all directions.  Yes, I understand there are minor shrinkage/expansion issues to deal with, as caused by annealing.  And then there is the slicing approach to reinforce the pins.  I'm pretty confident it can be done but I will print one and use it for a while as an experiment, if nothing else.  I'll report back but not for a few weeks so I can test a couple of parts to failure, etc.

The point being, this isn't for 12 year olds who only know how to print cosplay accessories.  It's for people who understand 3d printing and enjoy printing the things in their lives.  It wouldn't surprise me if no one is interested in this micro-project.  That is no problem.

Please accept my most heartfelt wish for a wonderful evening.   8)

Offline dorkshoei

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 03:06:23 pm »

Few people know how to make a strong 3d printed part. 

My suggestion. "Put up or shut up".  There is ZERO engineering information in your first post or any since. Just a CAD image that looks like the HP handle.

The point being, this isn't for 12 year olds

Oh my.   If you can be less condescending in your tone I think this discussion will be more productive.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 08:54:39 pm »
I wouldn't trust a 3D printed handle to carry my 34401A but that's just me.  I'd rather buy a reproduction one, buying the old used ones are also touch and go because they become fragile because of age. Mine just broke adjusting the position.

Seriously, its like comparing a tug boat hoist to a 1 inch tow strap from harbor freight, best case, used to secure a BMW

Offline Atom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2023, 01:07:11 am »
I put together a quick sketch of a handle for the 34401A.  As I understand, it will probably also fit a couple of other HP/Agilent/Keysight instruments.

I've printed the dog connector and it fits my 34401A perfectly but I haven't printed the entire handle to sweeten the fit.  It isn't something I've needed.

If someone is interested, I will hone the design and upload it to Thingiverse (or similar site) as an open source part to share with the community.  My meter doesn't have a handle so this was a clean sheet design.

Notice, it will require heavy support to print FDM and I suspect it will be more problematic to print in resin.  Still, filament isn't all that expensive.  It should *just* fit into the built space of my resin printer but it won't be an easy print there, either.

hi, could you share the 3d model? my handle on the 33120a broke and i want to try to make one 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 01:09:01 am by Atom »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf