Author Topic: Is a Rigol MSO5000 still worth it after the new DHO's have arrived?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Is a Rigol MSO5000 still worth it after the new DHO's have arrived?
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2024, 11:38:31 pm »
What kind of turns me off with the Siglent is - aside from the lack of separate controls as already mentioned
I still don't understand why some people criticize the lack of channel-separated vertical elements.

I've lost count of the number of times I've changed the wrong vertical channel.
I can certainly see the value in separate controls. But given that 4 channels and big screens are the norm these days, there just isn't the room.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, skander36

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
It really will be a matter of habit.
When I started my engineering career in the early 2000s, I used a WS422 from lecroy most of the time.
Although it was only 2-channel, it no longer had separate vertical controls.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
- The DHO925S really feels and looks like a toy to me - totally aside from any technical specs and possible qualities.
- The display is tiny, the controls are tiny (simply trying to press the Ch1-4 selector buttons was almost impossible since they are so close together that I had problems hitting them without also touching their direct neighbours....and I really have rather small hands and sleek fingers!!!
- pressing the buttons also immediately make the unit tilt and wiggle....

Hand on top, press with thumb.

-> So knowing that I would "hate" the DHO925S while using it I did not even power it on.... :-\

Or use touch screen, but you'd have to power it on for that.

The screen is small but high DPI.

I'm not saying the DHO900 is worth getting (it isn't) but you missed the entire point of these.

They aren't your grandpa's oscilloscope.

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
Although this again is also off topic (this is a thread about MSO and DHO scopes.....does anybody tried out the new Siglent SDS1000X HD series?
I mean these are real 12bit - and even cheaper than the "x plus" !  :scared:

Maybe I should get more information on these now.... ::)

You can get info about SDS1000X-HD from those threads:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1612-siglent-sds1000x-hd-12-bit-oscilloscope-teardown/msg5471293/#msg5471293
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds3000x-hd-and-upgraded-sds1000x-hd/msg5513227/#msg5513227
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1000x-hd-12bit-2gsas-oscilloscope-unboxing-test/msg5261787/#msg5261787
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1000x-hd-coming/msg4788464/#msg4788464

Also you can watch thread for SDS800X HD with more tests and in depth review - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds800x-hd-12-bit-dsos-coming/

Also if you want a real case comparison(what you will see) for a setup that I can made between Rigol 5K and SDS1000X HD (or even DHO1000X HD) please ask.
Anyway as Dave said it is wise for those days to look for a 12 bit scope. So if not Rigol 5K then also not SDS2000X plus.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:15:14 pm by skander36 »

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
I have a Siglent SDS1000X HD. It's pricier than its little brother, the SDS800X HD, but you get a 10" touch screen and switchable 50 ohm inputs. The UI is _very_ responsive (in fact, more responsive than the SDS2000X HD I have at work), and the UI doesn't get sluggish even when performing CPU-intensive tasks like FFT. It's a very nice scope

The fan isn't dead silent like on the SDS2000X HD, but better than the older Rigol DS1054Z. Keep in mind that both the 800X HD and 1000X HD can externally control Siglent signal generators (SDG1000X, SDG2000X, etc.) if you want to do bode plots. Both the 800X HD and the 1000X HD can also quite easily be "upgraded" to 200 MHz.

Offline Uli Auer

Thanks everybody for sharing your knowledge!

I have both the SDS2104X Plus and the SDS1102X HD (only 2ch version was available) on their way to me as demo/testing units - together with their 2ch AWG ;-)

Since I still have the MSO5104 demo unit on my bench for another 10 days I have enough time to work a little bit with them altogether in direct comparison.... 8) :box:

We'll see....

And thanks Dave for your +1 on separate controls  ;D
But sure....in the end they will not outweigh better technical performance and usability....
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:35:19 pm by Uli Auer »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Three different models to borrow, you're one lucky guy. ;)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Uli Auer

Three different models to borrow, you're one lucky guy. ;)

;D ;D ;D

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Thanks everybody for sharing your knowledge!

I have both the SDS2104X Plus and the SDS1102X HD (only 2ch version was available) on their way to me as demo/testing units - together with their 2ch AWG ;-)

Since I still have the MSO5104 demo unit on my bench for another 10 days I have enough time to work a little bit with them altogether in direct comparison.... 8) :box:

We'll see....

And thanks Dave for your +1 on separate controls  ;D
But sure....in the end they will not outweigh better technical performance and usability....

There is no real usability difference in real life with separate controls..
I have both Keysight MSOX3000T and "few" Siglent scopes with unified control, and a Micsig, also with unified control knob.
After some time you simply drive each the way it supposed to..

With multiple knobs, you need to look and grab for the right knob. If you need to change anything else on the channel you still have to press select knob for it and then you also have "unified control" for everything else.
When you are fiddling with something it usually is on same channel for a while. There is no difference there.
When you are setting initially for more complex setup, you set channel by channel, select, set, set, set.. Then another one ..
Technically there are few button pushes but you stop noticing after a day or two. It is not really slower in real life.

But a well laid out touchscreen interface saves much more time...

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf