Author Topic: Is a Rigol MSO5000 still worth it after the new DHO's have arrived?  (Read 1015 times)

Uli Auer and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dude McGeeTopic starter

I'm wondering whether it is possibly still wise to purchase an MSO5074 although the new DHO's (800, 900 etc.) are available and are in part more capable in terms of hardware, esp. the ADC's which are now 12 bit instead of 8 which is the MSO5000 standard as far as I know.

New features like VESA mounting points, a HDMI output or UI gimmicks are not relevant to me. My fields of interest are esp. audio signals, Arduino programming, and general purpose electronics on an amateur level.

So, are there good reasons to stay away from an MSO5000 or vice versa strong recommendations towards a new generation DHO model?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, hints and opinions!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Is a Rigol MSO5000 still worth it after the new DHO's have arrived?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 10:59:23 am »
What could you buy with the difference in money?

Offline Dude McGeeTopic starter

Re: Is a Rigol MSO5000 still worth it after the new DHO's have arrived?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 06:04:35 pm »
What could you buy with the difference in money?

The money was limited to about 1k EUR, the price difference between the DHO and the MSO models was no concern. I just wanted to be as sure as possible that I don't waste money when buying the older MSO5000.

Based on the two discussions user bte generously provided the links to :-+ and with a lot of research during the last two days in addition, I made up the decision to order the MSO5074.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Online Uli Auer

Based on the two discussions user bte generously provided the links to :-+ and with a lot of research during the last two days in addition, I made up the decision to order the MSO5074.

Hey Dude,
could you share which thoughts and considerations led you to your decision of buying the MSO5k in particular?
What was your personal weighting of the pros and cons that are discussed in so many threads and videos?
I'm at that exact same decision point right now and will receice demo units (MSO5104 and DHO924S) this week and I'm bouncing from tending towards one unit over the other and vice versa all the time.... |O
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:19:09 pm by Uli Auer »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
I'm at that exact same decision point right now and will receice demo units (MSO5104 and DHO924S) this week and I'm bouncing from tending towards one unit over the other and vice versa all the time.... |O

DHO900 is a joke for $900, I don't understand why people keep wasting money on that thing  :palm:

Either:
- DHO804 + dedicated logic analyzer ~$600
- DHO1074 + dedicated logic analyzer ~$1200
- MSO5074 + logic option $1400
- Siglent SDS1000X HD or 800X HD + logic option
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Hi,
New features like VESA mounting points, a HDMI output or UI gimmicks are not relevant to me. My fields of interest are esp. audio signals, Arduino programming, and general purpose electronics on an amateur level.

That would mean the MSO5000 is out.
In 2018 it was a sensation, with max 8GSa/s and two-channel awg.
But it has a noisy front end, which is rather unsuitable for fine audio signals and ripple measurements.
The FFT function is also rather rudimentary.
If Bodeplot is interesting (keyword LF filter, frequency response of amplifiers), I would not use rigol.
Although the 12-bit DHO series has excellent low-noise performance, it is equipped with a rudimentary FFT like the MSO5000 and the bodeplot function (DHO900) is virtually useless as things stand.
I would therefore have a look at siglent.
If 12Bit is not important, the SDS2000Xplus, if it is, but the screen does not necessarily have to be 10”, then the SDS800X HD.
Both have a very good FFT function and low-noise front end, and the bodeplot function is also very good for an oscilloscope.
If low noise is the only criterion, the DHO800/1000 would be suitable.
I would do without a DHO900.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online Uli Auer

@Martin72:

Could you go more into detail regarding what you mean by "fine audio signals" - which you find the MSO5k being not suitable for (and why)? And the same for ripple measurements? (leaving FFT or bode plot aside for a moment - which one could see as marketing features that can't compare to their stand-alone brothers for a reason)

What I want is getting a good allrounder scope for mixed-signal work - but also one for playing around with analog audio repair (mainly studio gear, not Hi-Fi) and long term maybe even development of both analog audio (like mic pre-amps or analog sound sculpting units like equalizers or harmonic distortion generators etc.) AND embedded systems...

So my "usage profile" seems to be pretty similar to Dude McGee's.

I already have a trusty HP54610B 500MHz ;-) But I wanted to have more options and of course a more modern unit in general...and the easy-to-use logic functions look appealing to me...

I need to say that I'm still at the beginning of my electronics (and scope-using) journey....
BUT what I really don't get in these whole discussions around these kind of scopes in this price range I'm following on forums like these and on YT for a while now:

Something like two to three decades ago people were capable of do any kind of serious audio work with the better range analog (or earlier analog-digital storage) scopes....how can it be that in 2024 a scope with a feature set of the MSO5000 is being called more or less "useless for audio work"...?

I mean: How noisy must a front end be to be classified like that? Has the whole "era" of 8-bit digital scopes been useless then? And how does that fit your statement of "in 2018 it was a sensation" ??? And now in 2024....useless?

Are these scopes really so bad? Or just in comparison to the high range (and price tag) ones of today like the big R+S or LeCroys etc for 5k-30k USD/EUR?

What I really like about the MSO5000 are simple ergonomics aspects like separate controls for each analog channel....such things might seem of minor priority....for me (being an ergonomics nerd) they might not because fiddling around with the V-controls of separate channels is much faster and more direct than always toggle via a channel selector button...which share the Rigol DHO's (800, 900, 1000, 4000) with the Siglent(s).....;-(
« Last Edit: Today at 12:06:50 am by Uli Auer »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Has the whole "era" of 8-bit digital scopes been useless then? And how does that fit your statement of "in 2018 it was a sensation" ??? And now in 2024....useless?

I think he was being a bit hyperbolic in saying useless.
It's obviously as useful as it ever was, but now that even $299 scopes are 12bit, it's wise to consider 12bit instead of an 8bit these days.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
@Martin72:

Could you go more into detail regarding what you mean by "fine audio signals" - which you find the MSO5k being not suitable for (and why)? And the same for ripple measurements?

It's kinda hard to see signals below about 3mV on the MSO5000 due to noise.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:11:29 am by Fungus »

Online Uli Auer

Has the whole "era" of 8-bit digital scopes been useless then? And how does that fit your statement of "in 2018 it was a sensation" ??? And now in 2024....useless?

I think he was being a bit hyperbolic in saying useless.
It's obviously as useful as it ever was, but now that even $299 scopes are 12bit, it's wise to consider 12bit instead of an 8bit these days.

Yes. I know. And my post was not intended to be offensive towards Martin in any way, nitpicking on a certain expression. And he didn't say "useless" expressively anyway - that was just to emphazise on what I read in the discussions...

And yes, of course 12 bit is better than 8 bit. BUT 8Gs/s are much better than 1.25Gs/s - and @ 250MHz (DHO925S) they are a joke - as far as I've read about a reasonable bandwidth/sample depth ratio....and for me separate controls are better....all those aspects have been compared to death already - some people are even discussing whether the black colour is better than the bright grey  ::) - some are winning on the MSO5000, some aren't.

But my question to the much more experienced guys in this forum still stays unreplied: Do I NEED 12bit in order to work on audio because I wouldn't see ANYTHING due to a 8 bit front end? Would buying a MSO5k make it impossible to work on analyzing audio and power signals ?

The Siglent also looks good to me - some videos show some little good aspects in ergonomics, like the menu behaviour or response of touch gestures etc.
But it's again 250 EUR more, and since I already have the MSO5k demo for testing I really dig the separate channel controls already - as I expected....
« Last Edit: Today at 10:45:53 am by Uli Auer »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor

I mean: How noisy must a front end be to be classified like that? Has the whole "era" of 8-bit digital scopes been useless then? And how does that fit your statement of "in 2018 it was a sensation" ??? And now in 2024....useless?

Are these scopes really so bad? Or just in comparison to the high range (and price tag) ones of today like the big R+S or LeCroys etc for 5k-30k USD/EUR?

It has nothing to do with 8bit ADC. It's front end /ADC are horribly noisy. 
To make it even worse, it's best sensitivity is 4mV/div (32 mV full screen vertically) and all more sensitive ranges are software magnifications of that. That means at 1mV/div you are basically left with half an inch thick noise track.
And that is compared to numerous other 8 bit scopes that cost half as much, which many of those have less noise and real 500µV/div ranges in preamps.

There are several 8bit scopes that have as little noise as new 12 bit scopes, just not the resolution.

Is it important to you? We don't know. For digital work it works just fine.. For looking at audio power amps (repair use) just fine. Microphone preamp ? Debatable......

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor

DHO900 is a joke.
OTOH 8GS/s is overkill that is not needed for that BW.

My preference would not be Rigol at all.
But all said, MSO5000 is better scope that DHO900, in everything except noise.

For you a Siglent SDS2000X+ or a MSO5000 paired with QuantAsylum audio analyzer is what you should aim if your goal is audio work.

It is not always about cheapest you can get. It is about getting tools to get the job done at best price.

Online Uli Auer

For you a Siglent SDS2000X+ or a MSO5000 paired with QuantAsylum audio analyzer is what you should aim if your goal is audio work.

It is not always about cheapest you can get. It is about getting tools to get the job done at best price.

Maybe I need to mention that I also have a real audio analyzer already - the Audio Precision ATS-2  :D
So in your opinion I'm fine with the combination of MSO5000 and ATS-2?

And 100% +1 on your quality of tools statement.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor

Maybe I need to mention that I also have a real audio analyzer already - the Audio Precision ATS-2  :D
So in your opinion I'm fine with the combination of MSO5000 and ATS-2?

And 100% +1 on your quality of tools statement.

I can't say if YOU are fine with it  >:D.

It's a scope. If it works and you find it acceptable to work with that is all you need. For fine audio work you already have all you need. For "scoping around" in a GO/NO GO fashion and verifying if signals are there and their general shape I guess it'll do.

I personally would go with SDS2000X+ because it is better scope (realistically) and I like it's concept better (personal preference).

Online Uli Auer

@Martin72:

After reading most of the blog discussion "bte" threw in, I've seen your reply#72
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/best-350mhz-scope-in-a-hackable-world-(siglent-sds2104x-plus-or-rigol-mso5072)/msg3377158/#msg3377158

in December 2020 where you state that with the averaging function of the MSO5000 the noise wouldn't seem to be a problem anymore and that you obviously could easily see 1mV ripple of a PSU ...
Why do you still state the opposite in this discussion and that the MSO would be "out" for that exact reason?
Did you find other problems with the averaging function that made you doubt what you see with it?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
@Martin72:

After reading most of the blog discussion "bte" threw in, I've seen your reply#72
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/best-350mhz-scope-in-a-hackable-world-(siglent-sds2104x-plus-or-rigol-mso5072)/msg3377158/#msg3377158

in December 2020 where you state that with the averaging function of the MSO5000 the noise wouldn't seem to be a problem anymore and that you obviously could easily see 1mV ripple of a PSU ...
Why do you still state the opposite in this discussion and that the MSO would be "out" for that exact reason?
Did you find other problems with the averaging function that made you doubt what you see with it?

Averaging does not work with any noise processes... Or anything you cannot cleanly trigger from..

Look, if you plan to look at signals that are less than 20-30mV P-P and plan to see if that signal is clean than MSO5000 is not for you. At 1 mV/div you get one full division of noise, a finger thick block with nothing connected.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
@Uli:
Short version (I'm at work)
Like 2N3055 wrote, this method is not "valid" for every case.
Today I doubt my result, there was a lot of trickery involved (average, extra filter before the input, trigger on line).
Plus the fact that everything below 2mV/divison is no longer "real" in the sense of pixel zoom.
I then wanted to switch to DSO7000, but after consulting with Rigol I decided on an SDS2000Xplus, because according to Rigol the much more expensive 7000 has the same front end.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf