Author Topic: Is a Rigol MSO5000 still worth it after the new DHO's have arrived?  (Read 606 times)

Uli Auer, CustomEngineerer and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dude McGeeTopic starter

I'm wondering whether it is possibly still wise to purchase an MSO5074 although the new DHO's (800, 900 etc.) are available and are in part more capable in terms of hardware, esp. the ADC's which are now 12 bit instead of 8 which is the MSO5000 standard as far as I know.

New features like VESA mounting points, a HDMI output or UI gimmicks are not relevant to me. My fields of interest are esp. audio signals, Arduino programming, and general purpose electronics on an amateur level.

So, are there good reasons to stay away from an MSO5000 or vice versa strong recommendations towards a new generation DHO model?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, hints and opinions!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Is a Rigol MSO5000 still worth it after the new DHO's have arrived?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 10:59:23 am »
What could you buy with the difference in money?

Offline Dude McGeeTopic starter

Re: Is a Rigol MSO5000 still worth it after the new DHO's have arrived?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 06:04:35 pm »
What could you buy with the difference in money?

The money was limited to about 1k EUR, the price difference between the DHO and the MSO models was no concern. I just wanted to be as sure as possible that I don't waste money when buying the older MSO5000.

Based on the two discussions user bte generously provided the links to :-+ and with a lot of research during the last two days in addition, I made up the decision to order the MSO5074.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Online Uli Auer

Based on the two discussions user bte generously provided the links to :-+ and with a lot of research during the last two days in addition, I made up the decision to order the MSO5074.

Hey Dude,
could you share which thoughts and considerations led you to your decision of buying the MSO5k in particular?
What was your personal weighting of the pros and cons that are discussed in so many threads and videos?
I'm at that exact same decision point right now and will receice demo units (MSO5104 and DHO924S) this week and I'm bouncing from tending towards one unit over the other and vice versa all the time.... |O
« Last Edit: Today at 08:19:09 pm by Uli Auer »

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
I'm at that exact same decision point right now and will receice demo units (MSO5104 and DHO924S) this week and I'm bouncing from tending towards one unit over the other and vice versa all the time.... |O

DHO900 is a joke for $900, I don't understand why people keep wasting money on that thing  :palm:

Either:
- DHO804 + dedicated logic analyzer ~$600
- DHO1074 + dedicated logic analyzer ~$1200
- MSO5074 + logic option $1400
- Siglent SDS1000X HD or 800X HD + logic option
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Hi,
New features like VESA mounting points, a HDMI output or UI gimmicks are not relevant to me. My fields of interest are esp. audio signals, Arduino programming, and general purpose electronics on an amateur level.

That would mean the MSO5000 is out.
In 2018 it was a sensation, with max 8GSa/s and two-channel awg.
But it has a noisy front end, which is rather unsuitable for fine audio signals and ripple measurements.
The FFT function is also rather rudimentary.
If Bodeplot is interesting (keyword LF filter, frequency response of amplifiers), I would not use rigol.
Although the 12-bit DHO series has excellent low-noise performance, it is equipped with a rudimentary FFT like the MSO5000 and the bodeplot function (DHO900) is virtually useless as things stand.
I would therefore have a look at siglent.
If 12Bit is not important, the SDS2000Xplus, if it is, but the screen does not necessarily have to be 10”, then the SDS800X HD.
Both have a very good FFT function and low-noise front end, and the bodeplot function is also very good for an oscilloscope.
If low noise is the only criterion, the DHO800/1000 would be suitable.
I would do without a DHO900.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf