Author Topic: Bench Test Cables  (Read 3101 times)

Offline DawnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Bench Test Cables
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:14:56 am »
Traditionally I've centered all my bench test cables around rg 142 b/u with BNC females on both ends for communications up to 800 mc. I'm planning to work higher and looking to buy sets of cables hopefully from chinese suppliers cheaper then I can make myself with locally sourced LMR that will require pneumatic crimping at prices that I'd rather not pay. The chinese market seems to have a LMR type equivalent that I'm not familiar with. I'm just looking for rg/58/reg-214 sized jumpers around 3' and want to know what some of your folks are using. I don't plan to work any higher then 2 gc and want to find an economical source for a handfull of cables for my bench. Any suggestions ?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Re: Bench Test Cables
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:34:47 am »
BNC at 2GHz if I understand correctly is a long stretch!  I tend to limit BNC to 500 MHz,  if absolute performance not critical but when you are using a cable you are trying to measure something.  I spent a whole day mucking around until I worked out a cable in the middle of my setup was no good,  it tested fine at DC.  I would tend to go for quality and home made but really test them out first.  The ebay store rf-parts has supplied me with reasonable price coax and connectors before. 
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:51:47 am »
Good RF accuracy and longevity from cables is easy if you don't want any flex in the cable. From memory LMR is stiff, but I checked the website and it seems that LMR 100 is quite flexible, but a 1m length will have over 1dB of loss at 2GHz. It's not only bend radius that needs considering, it's also how much spring is in the cable, nothing worse than connecting a circuit to a cable, letting it go and having the cable ping it across the bench.

If you're in the UK, or EU, these people make cables well at a sensible price.

http://www.gigatronix.co.uk/default.php?_minc=home

Alternatively, scour ebay for Sucoflex or Gore cables

Offline Steffen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:18:02 am »
Traditionally BNC connectors are limited to 1 GHz. LMR195UF is as large as RG58 cable and it's quite flexible. Good, but stiff cable is SS402 by Harbour Industries. Usually I use SMA or N connectors above 1 GHz. Mostly for applications around 1,3 GHz.

Offline DawnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 03:20:20 pm »
Sorry for the brain glitch folks. I meant RG-142 not RG-213 for bench setups. Many of the Chinese vendors are selling relatively inexpensive jumpers made of LMR-195 in N, BNC, and others. Far cheaper then making up jumpers myself out of 142, connectors, and probably much more flexible. Some list another '195 designation that I assume is a clone. Any experience with these products? Typically you get what you pay for, but I have to admit that I've been very pleasantly surprised with most all my parts and connector purchases and the wait is definitely worth the money saved if you're in no hurry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf