Author Topic: Instek GDS2202a vs Rigol DS2202 - any Opinions?  (Read 17638 times)

Offline jstarrTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Instek GDS2202a vs Rigol DS2202 - any Opinions?
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:40:58 pm »
The Instek GDS-2000 seem to offer a lot of scope for the price.  Anyone have any experience yet?  I came across it searching for scopes of this class that still offer independent (alternate) channel triggering and the GDS-2202a has it.

john

Offline Yaksaredabomb

• Regular Contributor
Re: Instek GDS2202a vs Rigol DS2202 - any Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:04:05 pm »
Marmad (among others) brought up the GDS-2000A series as a suggestion in my own search and laid out a few points in its favor.  He links to another thread with a video by grego that's pretty interesting.  I'm on the lookout for more videos and posts from grego.  I'm sure Dave's crazy busy but I'm very much looking forward to his own review when he gets a chance, too.

...the best buy for a high-quality, fast, four channel DSO at the moment is the new GW-Instek GDS-2000A series. The GDS-2204A is $1962 brand new (before any dealer discounts - which are being offered heavily at the moment) - and it is, without a doubt (IMO), a MUCH better scope for the money then the Agilent X2024A. It has more memory, bigger screen with more waveform display real-estate, many more triggers, faster waveform update rate, real 1mV/div (not the digitally 'magnified' scales as on the Agilent), cheaper upgrade options, and many more features. This is what I would buy if getting a four-channel DSO at this time - grego (another member here) posted some video about the DSO here.

Mark
My display name changed June 6th from "jneumann" to "Yaksaredabomb"

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:09:52 pm »
I know I keep saying this (about more videos) but I'm working on it!  As time permits....

The GDS does do alternate triggering but it looks like the wfm/s rate drops fairly dramatically.  Not that that's really an issue since, well, you're using alternate triggering so you should expect it to drop.

Overall I've been enjoying it - it's easy to use, the response from Instek has been fantastic to issues I've brought up, they've been releasing firmware updates about every 3-4 weeks right now which you can take two ways: a) they have a lot of bugs or b) they are resolving them as quickly as they can.  I prefer "b" but having dropped $1700 on this thing I may be a bit biased.

If you can I'd jump to the 2204 instead as you can't upgrade that later (4 channels vs 2).  Not critical but in for a penny, in for a pound kind of thing.

-Greg

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:23:03 pm »
Wait for a few months before the Rigol DS2000-S is released. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds2000-s-series-with-built-in-dual-channel-25-mhz-awg/
It looks very interesting.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:02 pm »
Greg,  Can you tell me how the alternate triggering works with 3 or 4 very different signals? 
j

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:31:17 pm »
I think that the scope can use only one timebase.  :-\

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:41:49 pm »
Yes one timebase but I believe it has alternate triggering and will display different sine signals all sync'ed simultaneously
j

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »
Yes, it has alternate trigger, look into the user manual.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 12:20:32 am »
I know I keep saying this (about more videos) but I'm working on it!  As time permits....

-Greg

Hey, nice video! The screen quality of your scope beats the shit out my Rigol DS2000's weak screen. Nice purchase, congrats. I am happy with my AFG-2000 series generator also, very stable.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:22:05 am »

The GDS does do alternate triggering but it looks like the wfm/s rate drops fairly dramatically.  Not that that's really an issue since, well, you're using alternate triggering so you should expect it to drop.

Overall I've been enjoying it - it's easy to use, the response from Instek has been fantastic to issues I've brought up, they've been releasing firmware updates about every 3-4 weeks right now which you can take two ways: a) they have a lot of bugs or b) they are resolving them as quickly as they can.  I prefer "b" but having dropped $1700 on this thing I may be a bit biased.

If you can I'd jump to the 2204 instead as you can't upgrade that later (4 channels vs 2).  Not critical but in for a penny, in for a pound kind of thing.

-Greg

Greg,  Based on what you have described I am definitely going with "b"; GW Instek seems like they are the most attentive of all the manufacturers mentioned here.  I'm sure Rigol, and Agilent, and Tektronix, and others are doing a great job behind the scenes but your description of how they listen to your input, how they make decisions and commitments and communicate their roadmap, and how they follow through with bug and feature releases is IMPRESSIVE!

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 12:24:57 am »

-Greg

Hey, nice video! The screen quality of your scope beats the shit out my Rigol DS2000's weak screen. Nice purchase, congrats. I am happy with my AFG-2000 series generator also, very stable.

I like the Instek screen quality but why are so sure it beats the _ _ _ _ out of the Rigol DS2000 screen?  Thx

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 01:02:49 am »
Because I have my Rigol right in front of me as we post and its weak and soft. It even darkens the graticule matrix if I move my head level to it. Luckily I watch it from above. Many guys needing the scope on a shelf above eye level, and it will darken out even more. I love the scope but the screen is cheap crap and it does not adorn it at all. The cooling fan could be less noisy too. Its how a tool feels for long work as important as it performs some times. The Instek shines its screen quality on the video, easy to see.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:05:33 am by Salas »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 01:13:03 am »
Because I have my Rigol right in front of me as we post and its weak and soft. It even darkens the graticule matrix if I move my head level to it. Luckily I watch it from above. Many guys needing the scope on a shelf above eye level, and it will darken out even more. I love the scope but the screen is cheap crap and it does not adorn it at all. The cooling fan could be less noisy too. Its how a tool feels for long work as important as it performs some times. The Instek shines its screen quality on the video, easy to see.

Thanks Salas for the candid input.  Maybe somehow your particular screen has an issue?  I don't think we've heard the same type/level of concern from other users, but maybe I've missed it.  Maybe Marmad or others can share their observations?

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 01:15:39 am »

-Greg

Greg,  Based on what you have described I am definitely going with "b"; GW Instek seems like they are the most attentive of all the manufacturers mentioned here.  I'm sure Rigol, and Agilent, and Tektronix, and others are doing a great job behind the scenes but your description of how they listen to your input, how they make decisions and commitments and communicate their roadmap, and how they follow through with bug and feature releases is IMPRESSIVE!

To be clear if you're US based the support has been great.  I can't speak for any other countries (nor would I).

On a side note I'm still waiting for the firmware update that includes CAN decode on the LA (which has been promised but not quite sure when) but they have been quick about getting back to me on various issues I bring up (usually I communicate about once a week with them right now).

The angle on the screen is pretty good - I can go past 30-40 degrees and can still see it pretty clearly.  Maybe I'll do a quick video showing that.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 01:24:08 am »

Thanks Salas for the candid input.  Maybe somehow your particular screen has an issue?  I don't think we've heard the same type/level of concern from other users, but maybe I've missed it.  Maybe Marmad or others can share their observations?

No its normal. I had the 1052E too and I never complained. I don't say its useless, I say its compromised. When I got the scope I got it for all its myriad good points, well the screen ain't one of its strengths. If it had a strong bright display with good viewing angles the intensity grading would have been much more fascinating too.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 01:25:33 am »
Well, even Dave said that the Rigol's screen is quite dim but that should not be a big issue. Maybe he said it somewhere else.
I like the screen of GDS-2000A. https://plus.google.com/photos/106264218831814439783/albums/5857196858625060337/5857197091319878914
But there is only one year warranty on the LCD. Oh why? See it in the scope datasheet!

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 01:28:14 am »

-Greg

To be clear if you're US based the support has been great.  I can't speak for any other countries (nor would I).

On a side note I'm still waiting for the firmware update that includes CAN decode on the LA (which has been promised but not quite sure when) but they have been quick about getting back to me on various issues I bring up (usually I communicate about once a week with them right now).

The angle on the screen is pretty good - I can go past 30-40 degrees and can still see it pretty clearly.  Maybe I'll do a quick video showing that.

Ok, more screen stuff would be good, but how about a LA demo showing some digital signals synchronized with some analog signals  :-+

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 01:50:09 am »
Well, even Dave said that the Rigol's screen is quite dim but that should not be a big issue.

Its about quality not "issue" per se. Look in what I found here, some video showing the Instek when displaying modulations for 2 minutes between 2:00 to 4:00 on the video time bar.

One having an Agilent 2000X or 3000X will maybe just notice its a reflective VS absorptive screen choice preference matter. One having a Rigol DS2000 will notice his screen is simply pale & dim. Or he does not care for such stuff so its fine, no bother. To me, when talking a visual tool like a scope is, we should evaluate its visual quality among its prime characteristics.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 03:28:53 am »
Well, even Dave said that the Rigol's screen is quite dim but that should not be a big issue.

To me, when talking a visual tool like a scope is, we should evaluate its visual quality among its prime characteristics.

Ok, Agreed - visual quality should be considered one of the prime characteristics of a scope.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 02:11:20 pm »
The LCD of my DSOX2002A is bright and overall OK, but maybe a bit obsolete. It has probably CCFL backlight, i don't know why... :o
Nevermind, my LG 17" LCD display of my PC was made in 2006 and it's still OK even with CCFL.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:12:59 pm by Hydrawerk »

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 03:31:38 pm »
When I evaluated the Rigol's DS4054 scope, I did noticed that the screen was not as bright as the my Rigol DS1052E.  A way to see how good a screen is, is to display composite video signal from a camera. Video signal is complex and has both digital and analog signal and is a good test the persistence or grading of a scope. I noticed that the DS4054 did not display the grading as well as the Agilent DSOX 3000.

Perphap somebody can connect a video signal to the Instek scope to see how well it does displaying a video signal.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:13:42 pm by rbola35618 »

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 05:18:11 pm »
I'm uploading a video now with a modulated waveform showing persistence.  I also pan the camera at different angles to the screen so you can get an idea of its brightness and accurate angles.

Video uploaded:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:27:04 pm by grego »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 06:34:08 pm »

I totally disagree with this; I don't have any problems whatsoever with the screen at all. I use it both day and night in a giant room full of massive windows and tons of daylight. Maybe you have a bad backlight or something?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:35:52 pm by marmad »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 06:37:41 pm »
I noticed that the DS4054 did not display the grading as well as the Agilent DSOX 3000.

Well, it would make sense that a DSO with 1M wfrm/s would display the gradient slightly better than 100k wfrm/s, no?

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 06:44:44 pm »
I'm uploading a video now with a modulated waveform showing persistence.  I also pan the camera at different angles to the screen so you can get an idea of its brightness and accurate angles.

Informative, thanx.

Not high shelf friendly, same as the Rigol. :-- Very nice brightness and contrast from level and above though. :-+
Still the Rigol has good left and right angles too. Graphics, menus, and buttons functions are rich and elegant on the Rigol. A very nice scope to use and look at. The Instek seems a bit underdeveloped in those respects, surely it takes hands on experience with both to really say which one is the more effective and intuitive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf