Author Topic: Solmon SL20 mod and teardown  (Read 1579 times)

Offline AlanaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Solmon SL20 mod and teardown
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:53:00 pm »
Got my hands on some second hand test equipment and parts, including this iron.
I played around with it and decided to use it as my main iron, but in order to do it as i like to do it i needed to add a power switch. After i did that i realized that this is old soldering station, entirely analogue and someone here may be interested in what's inside. Pics were taken after i added power switch and from what i can see this unit was already modified by its original owner.

Chips are 2x LM339 and one LM324. Power to the heater is controlled by BT136 triac.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Solmon SL20 mod and teardown
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 06:42:28 am »
Not exactly old, still available as new ( I have one) and with the spares available cheap, like the complete iron ( fits SL20 and 30) and the transformers and the main board. Somebody took the time to mount it in that case, it comes in a sloped plastic case normally, they cut out the front panel ( where the board sits )and mounted it in the metal case. Only issues you will have are the DIN plug corroding inside with years of use and going intermittent, but a new socket is quite cheap or free if you have an old XT board lying around to take the keyboard connector out of it. In the original white plastic ( mine is now yellow) it has a power switch, though some people leave it on always with no problems. Replacement tips are cheap, got plenty around, and they are cheap new retail by me. Got 2 sitting next to me in a baggie I picked up free a few weeks ago.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf