Author Topic: Agilent/Keysight Infiniium 9000,S,90000,X,V,Z-Series Windows 7 to 10 Update  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Dagobert1Topic starter

• Contributor
Windows 7 Embedded is currently installed on my Keysight/Agilent DSO 9254. With the old Windows 7 there are numerous problems with Windows updates. Also, for some time now, the Keysight Update Manager has not been able to update to the latest firmware/software.

There is a possibility to purchase an update to Windows 10 from Keysight, which costs 700 €:
Firmware/Software N2151A Upgrade Kit - Windows 7 to Windows 10 OS software for Infiniium oscilloscopes
Infiniium 9000 Series, S-Series, 90000 X-Series, V-Series, and Z-Series
https://www.keysight.com/de/de/product/N2151A/upgrade-kit-windows-7-windows-10-os-infiniium-oscilloscopes.html

I tried to update without buying the N2151A upgrade kit.
First I created an image file to get back to the original state at any time and then installed Windows 10 Embedded.
An upgrade directly from the running Windows 7 was not possible. Only a new installation worked.

After installing Windows 10, the Device Manager looks like this:

After reinstalling the Infiniium software from here, the USB drivers are updated, but not the "PCI Communication Synchronization plus Time and Frequency Test/Measurement-Controller" or short "Infiniium Acquisition" driver:
https://www.keysight.com/de/de/lib/software-detail/instrument-firmware-software/infiniium-oscilloscope-software-for-windows-10-and-windows-7-2488819.html

Without the working Infiniium Acquisition Driver, only the demo version of the Keysight oscilloscope software will be installed.

Then I copied back the original image of Windows 7 Embedded and looked at the Device Manager again:

You can see that two "Infiniium Acquisition" drivers are responsible for this in the original Windows 7 Embedded system:
1. AG9000.sys
2. wdfcoinstaller01009.dll

I copied the drivers from Windows 7 and copied them to the same place in the Windows 10 folder. Unfortunately, the driver was not recognized by Windows 10. It also did not work to search for the drivers in the acquisition driver entry in the Device Manager.

I suspect that the Infiniium Acquisition driver is not installed when the oscilloscope software is updated or reinstalled. It would be interesting to know which file names the acquisition drivers have for an oscilloscope with functional Windows 10 Embedded.
It would also be interesting to copy the Windows 10 driver files into my oscilloscope to see if it works afterwards. It is possible that other mechanisms have been built in to prevent a self-update to Windows 10.

I would therefore be pleased if someone with a corresponding oscilloscope (9000 Series, S-Series, 90000 X-Series, V-Series, and Z-Series) with Windows 10 Embedded could provide me with the names of the drivers or better the drivers themselves and in which directory the drivers was stored. I would of course report back here on further results. Perhaps someone has already successfully upgraded their oscilloscope to Windows 10 Embedded and can report back here.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 09:43:13 pm by Dagobert1 »

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
You can see that two "Infiniium Acquisition" drivers are responsible for this in the original Windows 7 Embedded system:
1. AG9000.sys
2. wdfcoinstaller01009.dll

I copied the drivers from Windows 7 and copied them to the same place in the Windows 10 folder. Unfortunately, the driver was not recognized by Windows 10. It also did not work to search for the drivers in the acquisition driver entry in the Device Manager.

If you only copied those two files, the system will have no way of knowing that those two files correspond to the hardware device. At a minimum, you also need the .inf and .cat files which refer to the driver .sys file. When the systems searches for drivers for a device it looks through .inf files to find the driver which matches the hardware ID of the device. On the working Windows 7 Embedded system maybe you can find cached copies of the .inf and .cat files which correspond to the AG9000.sys driver file. Then copy that set of files to a new installation directory on the Windows 10 system, and then when you have the system search for drivers, manually point the search to that new installation directory where it can find the matching .inf and driver files.

• Contributor
@gslick: You're absolutely right. I found copies of the drivers with inf and cat files in the old installation of Windows 7. Then the installation of the drivers works in Windows 10 Embedded. However, the installing of the Infiniium software still installs the demo program. There must be other things that need to exist to recognize a real oscilloscope.

I found out that detection from a real oscilloscope depends on certain registry entries. I'll keep reporting.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 03:21:40 am by Dagobert1 »

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
After installing Windows 10, the Device Manager looks like this:

Did you also get the correct driver installed for the second device, the "USB (Universal Serial Bus)-Controller)" device?

That is probably not a standard USB host controller, which should have standard Windows USB host controllers drivers installed automatically. It might be a NetChip / PLX 2282 PCI\VEN_17CC&DEV_2282 device, which provides a USB device side interface, which is used for connecting the scope as a USB device to a PC USB host, and might use Agt2280 as the correct driver for that device.

• Contributor
As I have already written, the USB drivers are installed by the Infiniium software.

• Contributor
The registry entries required for an installation can be found in Windows 7 Embedded here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Agilent

and I have also copied these registry entries, but they are not taken into account by the Infiniium setup program:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Agilent

The copies of the registry entries are made with regedit, then the search for the above entries and then save to a file using the export function. Import in Windows 10 only by double-clicking on the previously exported files.

The first step is to install the Infiniium oscilloscope software.
Right at the beginning a message appears that the registry entries have been converted to x64 format and the Infiniium setup program must be restarted.

The following error message appears during installation, which I initially ignored:

I still have no idea how to solve the problem with the Internet information Server 4.0.

The Infiniium software now works in the "Unlicensed Offline" mode, but does not recognize any hardware due to the missing of the Infiniium license and the functions is the same as in the Demo mode.

Now I have to find out where to get the data for Model Number, Serial Number, Host ID and especially the Option ID in the "About <Model Number> Infiniium window. The ID option is particularly important for creating the license files. The whole thing probably interacts with the FlexLM License Manager. It would be nice if the option ID would not change so that the license file can continue to be used. However, if it cannot be changed, I can also create my license file based on a new option ID.

I will continue to report.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 02:55:25 pm by Dagobert1 »

Offline eefan

Hi
You are lucky. I just installed the Win 10 on the 90000X model.
The good thing is you can install the system and the software, the bad thing is the driver is not fully compatiable with Win10, which means you cannot fun oscilloscope properly after installation.
I am also looking for solutions. Happy to chat with you via email. Or we can send the requests to Keysight.

Download the InfiniiumFrameClass from this page:
https://edadocs.software.keysight.com/kkbopen/infiniium-oscilloscope-software-588280209.html
so the steps are:
1.Install Win10
2. Enable .Net 3.5
3. Let Win10 find and install all its updates.
4. Install IOLib suite.
5. Run frameclass
6. Install oscilloscope software. It will restart the PC for several times. And it needs your manual clicks for some steps.
Don't shut down the power. It could involve some firmware updates.

Offline eefan

I also recon you clone your original disk or you can use a second disk for installing the new system and software.
The Keysight original disk might contain some drivers that can be useful for the future maintance.

Offline Focus

I upgraded my MSO S404A from win7 to win10
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 04:07:46 am »
I used the Keysight win10 USB stick on a new drive.  I did have to send the new host information to Keysight; to get the licenses re-hosted.

I did copy the old license, calibration, and documentation to a USB dongle.  The latest scope software did use the calibration data. 

I couldn’t find the 9000 drivers in my installation.  The MSOS uses XSeries.sys acquisition driver.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 04:20:29 am by Focus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf