Author Topic: is this a fluke? (117 ghost? current)  (Read 2815 times)

Offline AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
is this a fluke? (117 ghost? current)
« on: November 25, 2022, 09:17:32 am »
I recently got a fluke 117 and I haven't used it much, and when i have, it has only been for circuits using 5v and for continuity, and the day it arrived, i also shorted some AA batteries with it to see the current go up, everything seemed fine afterwards and it was left turned off for a while. today i needed to measure some currents in the order of a few milliamps, and grab it for that, but when turning it on, i encountered this strange thing, it shows 4 mA DC with nothing plugged into any terminal, and when switching to AC current, while it displays 0.000, the first segment of the bargraph flickers on and off.

I opened it and took out the fuse, and it still behaved the same way. Then i changed the battery, and it showed 0.000 A on DC but the bargraph still flicked on AC, and after a few minutes, the 4mA started to show up again when on A DC.

Any idea what might be going on?
Thank you!

Offline evava

• Regular Contributor
Re: is this a fluke? (117 ghost? current)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 09:57:56 am »
I think you should plug in the test leads, then look at display in DC mA range ?

(split input terminals)

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 10:12:04 am »
I think you should plug in the test leads, then look at display in DC mA range ?

(split input terminals)

Thanks, I've already tried shorting the terminals with the leads. This meter doesn't have a mA range unfortunately

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 10:28:41 am »
Maybe need calibration? (ofsetting)
My fluke 87V also show 2 mA on iddle and I have others that fluctuates on iddle (plus or minus 1-2 mA).

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 10:52:34 am »
Maybe need calibration? (ofsetting)
My fluke 87V also show 2 mA on iddle and I have others that fluctuates on iddle (plus or minus 1-2 mA).

Thank you, i tested various currents (through a 100 ohm resistor), and it does seem to be a constant offset! I do wonder what caused this offset to appear while it was just sitting there unused for a few days, hmm!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:56:25 am by Anthocyanina »

Offline Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 06:37:23 pm »
This meter is not intended to measure mA. Keep in mind that you are on the 6A range, trying to measure 10-60 mA (<1% of the full scale). Not to mention the 1% + 3 digits accuracy... It's normal, your Fluke 117 works as it should. Use your Aneng to measure mA.

Offline BeBuLamar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 07:07:07 pm »
I think you blew the fuse when you shorted the battery. You need to check and see if the fuse is still good.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 10:31:18 pm »
This meter is not intended to measure mA. Keep in mind that you are on the 6A range, trying to measure 10-60 mA (<1% of the full scale). Not to mention the 1% + 3 digits accuracy... It's normal, your Fluke 117 works as it should. Use your Aneng to measure mA.

Exactly this, we got several of them here, but we donĀ“t use them for mA measures.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf