Author Topic: If you purchased a RIGOL PLA2216, how many test leads and grabbers did you get?  (Read 5358 times)

Offline lunixTopic starter

• Contributor
I got 20 of each.  RIGOL is showing 32 of each in their manual, and the photo on their website shows 32 leads, and says: "Set of digital logic probes (PLA2216, 16 channel + 16 ground) for the Rigol MSO5000 series."  I am wondering if mine is an unusual situation, or whether others have the same experience.

RIGOL has ignored my inquiries about this, and hasn't offered to provide the missing items.  So I reach out to you to try to gain some understanding.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
I don't have a PLA2216, but the user guide clearly states:

PLA2216 provides 16 input signal leads and 16 ground leads

And that there are 32 leads and 32 grabbers included (see pic).

Since they aren't responding, I'd think you should return what was sent and order another.

The following users thanked this post: lunix

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Yes, you should have received 16 signal plus 16 ground leads with clips, 32 in total. I actually bought one along with my MSO5074 and received it complete with all the mentioned test leads.

So my advise is, contact the place you bought it from and have them deal with it.

• Contributor
I should have mentioned I copied the vendor on this each of three times I have asked RIGOL about it.  My inquiries about this have been met with crickets.

• Contributor
Rigol contacted me.  Today I received a set of leads and probes- USED ones that were stuffed into used static bags.  Draw your own conclusions.  I'm trying to convey my disappointment to them while being kind.  I guess that means that as concerns saying something to them, I am nonplussed.

The following users thanked this post: petrinch

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
Glad you got your leads, but definitely not a great response from Rigol and a terrible (non-) response from the vendor.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
Doesn't U.S. law allow you to interact with the seller and return an incomplete item?

The Rigol probe is beautiful, but it is quite possible that an inexpensive DIY one will be enough for you: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/low-cost-logic-analyzer-probe-for-rigol-mso5000-easyeda-project/msg3088716/#msg3088716
And sorry for my English.

• Contributor
Unfortunately, time is of the essence.  But great job with your probe!

Offline 64mod3

I recently (June 1st, 2024) purchased the PLA2216 logic probe from TEquipment and also received only 20 leads and grabbers.

I contacted TEquipment who directed me to RIGOL and they confirmed that the PLA2216 only contains 20 leads and grabbers now.

I'm not sure when this changed but the only place that has the new count is the pdf on RIGOL's website, the distributor copies are outdated. All of the pictures that I could find also have 32 probes and I doubt we will see those updated. They didn't bother to update the included stickers either, you will receive 32 of those.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
20 sets seems like a rather odd number...  How did they arrive at that figure ???
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
20 sets seems like a rather odd number...  How did they arrive at that figure ???

16 for the signals, and only 4 ground leads.

Shrinkflation in action.  :-DD

Still room to loose another 3 leads and grabbers.

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
I must be misunderstanding something here - why would any expect more leads than there are channels?  For a 16 channel LA, I'd expect 16 leads + 16 grounds.

I wonder if there was some language translation issue where the 32 actually meant leads plus grounds for a total of 32 wires?

But the 20 still confuses me.  Maybe 1 ground per quad of inputs?
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Originally the PLA2216 was delivered with 32 leads, 32 grabbers, 32 colored stickers numbered 1-16 and 32 black stickers labeled GND.

The stickers are to be placed on the flag like protrusions found at one end of the lead, one at each side of the flag.

Apparently at some point in time at RIGOL they decided to reduce this to 20 leads, 20 grabbers, 32 colored stickers numbered 1-16 and 32 black stickers labeled GND.

Why, probably to save a couple of bucks.  |O

The leads for signal and ground are exactly the same, as are the grabbers.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
I must be misunderstanding something here - why would any expect more leads than there are channels?  For a 16 channel LA, I'd expect 16 leads + 16 grounds.

16 + 16 = 32. See my previous post, signal and ground leads are the same.

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor

But now they've reduced that to 20 leads that are intended to provide both signal and ground connections?  So if you need to monitor 16 channel logic, not every channel has a ground?  I guess some logic inputs can share a ground, but it certainly feels offputting.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor

But now they've reduced that to 20 leads that are intended to provide both signal and ground connections?  So if you need to monitor 16 channel logic, not every channel has a ground?  I guess some logic inputs can share a ground, but it certainly feels offputting.

You don't need that many grounds when scoping a data bus or SPI, etc. A single ground will do.

The probe does have a ground pin for each signal pin, and with all the leads present it is possible to connect ground for every single one of them, but it won't reduce on noise that much since the leads are reasonably long and not twisted.

Take a look at a picture of the probe and you can see for yourself. https://rigolshop.eu/accessories/probe/mso5000/pla2216.html

• Contributor
You don't need that many grounds when scoping a data bus or SPI, etc. A single ground will do.

The probe does have a ground pin for each signal pin, and with all the leads present it is possible to connect ground for every single one of them, but it won't reduce on noise that much since the leads are reasonably long and not twisted.

Rigol recommends twisting a ground and a signal lead for high speed signals.  That's why there's a ground connection for each of the 16 channels.  Hence, 20 leads is inadequate.  Since the PLA2216 is also inadequate, it's moot.

The DSLogic U3Pro32 has a ground (and grabbers) for each signal channel (all 32 of 'em).  They are likewise not all needed for most jobs.  I regret ever purchasing the PLA2216.  And I never use it.  The DSView software is amazing, too.  And all of the protocol analyzers work (and there are something like 50).

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor

Rigol recommends twisting a ground and a signal lead for high speed signals.  That's why there's a ground connection for each of the 16 channels.  Hence, 20 leads is inadequate.  Since the PLA2216 is also inadequate, it's moot.

The DSLogic U3Pro32 has a ground (and grabbers) for each signal channel (all 32 of 'em).  They are likewise not all needed for most jobs.  I regret ever purchasing the PLA2216.  And I never use it.  The DSView software is amazing, too.  And all of the protocol analyzers work (and there are something like 50).
I'm just a simple hobbyist, so while I don't appreciate the benefit of the digital channel options on entry level MSO's such as these models given the limitations of screen size, decoder options and general GUI features, I'm sure there are cases where you need to align an analog signal with a digital signal on the same screen...  For the few time's I've needed to do something like that, the digital signal has been the trigger - and I can use the trigger out on the DSlogic Plus to trigger the scope.  Granted, you end up with information on 2 screens and no time alignment between the two, but I used cursors to calculate the timing between the two devices.

But for general use I'd use the analog channels on the scope for decoding rather than trying to stuff all that information into a small screen.

Back to topic, as mentioned the DSlogic Plus includes test clips for every signal and ground - if you don't need them, fine.  But if you do - why not include them?

• Contributor
But for general use I'd use the analog channels on the scope for decoding rather than trying to stuff all that information into a small screen.

Back to topic, as mentioned the DSlogic Plus includes test clips for every signal and ground - if you don't need them, fine.  But if you do - why not include them?

If you are fooled into buying a Rigol, you can use the web interface, and/or the HDMI to have an 85" screen, if you want.  I use the webserver capability, and [HDMI + USB] for a 10.1" touchscreen.  I was once a simple hobbyist, too.  We all have to start somewhere.

I believe Siglent has the same facilities for using larger screens on your DSO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf