Author Topic: Help: book explaining the funktion and use of an oscilloscope?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline aat24Topic starter

• Contributor
  • !
Help: book explaining the funktion and use of an oscilloscope?
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:01:37 am »
I' m looking for a book explaining the funktion and use of an oscilloscope. Any ideas or suggestions? Do you know good websites about scopes?

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Help: book explaining the funktion and use of an oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 11:30:04 am »
I' m looking for a book explaining the funktion and use of an oscilloscope. Any ideas or suggestions? Do you know good websites about scopes?

A good starting point is this:

Handbook of Oscilloscope Technology

It covers the traditional analog scopes as well as digital scopes, although the focus is on the analog scope. However, you should find the fundamentals there.

LeCroy has also published some guide which, although dealing with their own products of the time, should give you some insight into how advanced digital scopes are working:

LeCroy Color Digital Oscilloscopes Hands-On Guide
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:35:03 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:24:15 pm »
The classic, first go-to guide to the oscilloscope is Tektronix's famous XYZs of Oscilloscopes, available here. The current edition is addressed to digital oscilloscopes, but earlier editions covered analogue technology too. Indeed, that's all that was around when the book was originally written.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:11:37 pm »

You could always watch one of my "Basics do Oscilloscopes" videos on YouTube. See the sticky thread in the beginners forum here. Here is a link to a recording of a class I taught to a local radio club earlier this year.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 04:54:21 pm »
The classic, first go-to guide to the oscilloscope is Tektronix's famous XYZs of Oscilloscopes, available here. The current edition is addressed to digital oscilloscopes, but earlier editions covered analogue technology too. Indeed, that's all that was around when the book was originally written.
I've read earlier versions of this document.  Still very useful, but it looks like it's been through the marketing filter a few times on this last revision.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:41:25 pm »

I've read earlier versions of this document.  Still very useful, but it looks like it's been through the marketing filter a few times on this last revision.

That is the case with a lot of their publications.  They have an annoying tendency to keep the same name without distinguishing different editions which makes finding the old ones difficult.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf