Author Topic: I need a reliable and clean DC power supply for test rigs.  (Read 9231 times)

Offline Steve ZargTopic starter

• Contributor
I need a reliable and clean DC power supply for test rigs.
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:49:24 pm »
Hi,
 I am not sure if placing this question on this section of the forum is stretching the definition of test equipment but I feel that the people here will appreciate my interest in selecting a good unit.

I'd like to buy some sort of free standing DC power supply for use by both my wife and myself. I like to repair and diy audio gear and she has been making a bunch of Arduino projects.

There seems to be hundreds of choices and I'm wondering if people can help me narrow down the choices. I like quality stuff and am willing to pay a bit extra if I know that the supply will be more stable, clean, and dependable.

I am also wondering about voltage ranges and if there are great compromises made to provide wide ranges. Is it best to select a narrower range and then purchase a second supply unit for outside the range?

I imagine the primary range would need to include 5vDC through 14vDC but I have a special interest in audio circuits so 24vDC and 48vDC seems useful too.

I'd probably like to buy as much current capability as I can justify a budget for, but I don't have any idea what sort of price range I'll be considering until I learn some more about the more basic aspects of quality and dependability.

I'll appreciate any info people can share on this subject.

Thank You!

• Contributor
Re: I need a reliable and clean DC power supply for test rigs.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:38:31 pm »
Anyone?

Any brands to consider, for example, on Amazon?

Any brands to avoid?

I'm looking at a variety of 0-30vDC 5A models that seem like they would be useful.

What should I look for in an appliance like this? Linear power? Switching power?

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 06:43:49 pm »
Where are you located?
Linear power supplies are usually quieter than switchers.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:07:51 pm »
It largely depends upon your budget.

I own:
Tek PWS4323 (0-32v, 3A) ~USD 904.00
Rigol DP831A (0-8v, 5A and +/-30v, 2A) ~USD 790.00
Wun Hung Lo switcher (0-32v, 32A) ~USD 208.00

These serve my requirements well - digital and audio tinkering.
By the sounds of your requirements they would fit the bill.
But they are not a cheap solution.
As far as reliability...
The Tek certainly is one of the best brands you can buy.
The jury is still out on Rigol equipment so only time will tell.
The Gopher brand... well the name and the price says it all. I have had mine for about a year and haven't had to repair it... yet.

Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »
If you have the budget, look for used HP/Agilent e36xx series power supplies. You can get those on eBay easily for between $100 to $300 depending on the features. I find it more useful to have multiple supplies, you often need multiple voltages anyway.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 07:14:30 pm »
If you have the budget, look for used HP/Agilent e36xx series power supplies. You can get those on eBay easily for between $100 to $300 depending on the features. I find it more useful to have multiple supplies, you often need multiple voltages anyway.

This would be my vote. I have an e3615a and like it.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:16:10 pm »
If you live in the US

HP 6114A
HP 6115A
Power Designs Precision 5020

Unbeatable precision, stability and ripple.
Inexpensive if you are patient on flebay and don't mind doing some contact cleaning.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:34:40 pm »
I recently got an HP / Agilent / Keysight 6653A 0-35v @ 15A and it is great. SUPER quiet output. I am about to get another one.

There are many options in this family with various voltage and current combos. They are also super ugly 1980's looking, but I wanted super clean and reliable and that is what I got. Very easy to fine adjust current and voltage smoothly without any spikes or noise from analog pots. Lots of eBay availability.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:55:25 pm »
Thank You.

I am in the USA. I'll look around for a used example of some of the selections recommended here.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 03:13:20 am »
Lots of people here will roll their eyes ::) but if you want to power circuits with pretty decent precision (within a few tenths of a volt and within a few milliamps) with a 30 Volt, 5 Amp linear power supply you should consider this:

http://www.amazon.com/KORAD-KA3005P-Programmable-Precision-Adjustable/product-reviews/B0085QLNFM/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

When this product was introduced it had some issues (but which manufacturer here doesn't have some product issues from time to time?).  Since the introduction of the 3005 Korad made some changes to the product - it hasn't been perfect but overall it appears to have become reasonably stable and reliable over the last year and half or so.  Read the reviews in the link (they go back a couple years); 2 out of 19 reviewers gave it 3 stars, 5 more gave it 4 stars, and 12 gave it 5 stars.  All for under $150, maybe including shipping depending on where you are. 

I didn't write the review below and I don't know anything about the reviewer but note that he finds that his Fluke 179 and his Korad power supply match to 3 significant digits:

---

http://www.amazon.com/KORAD-KA3005P-Programmable-Precision-Adjustable/product-reviews/B0085QLNFM/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

5.0 out of 5 stars  So far this is an awesome bench power supply, October 29, 2014

By Tony Goodhew "TonyG" (Renton, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: KORAD KA3005P - Programmable Precision Variable Adjustable 30V, 5A DC Linear Power Supply Digital Regulated Lab Grade (Tools & Home Improvement)

So far this is an awesome bench power supply. The voltage indicated on the unit with no load (I don't have a calibration load to give a detailed accuracy check) matches my Fluke 179 to 3 significant digits. I really like having the output on/off switch as I can bring the power supply up and let it stabilize before providing power to my project. Setting the values is easy with the buttons under the know letting you move the 'cursor' and then the knob allowing you to set them. It even takes care of the roll-over properly so that you don't have to set each individual value to get where you want to be.

I don't really use the memory buttons as my current project is 5v but for someone working on multiple projects I think it would be valuable. The only thing I could have asked for was a second settable output but when I really need that I'll just buy another one.

BTW This version is programmable but you can save yourself some money and get the 5D which isn't programmable - When I bought it the difference in price was only $5 so I went programmable in case I ever needed it.

---

Here is the same product minus the PC connectivity for a few dollars less:
http://www.amazon.com/KORAD-KA3005D-Precision-Adjustable-Regulated/dp/B0084JFWNY/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417488760&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=korad+3005
- a couple of poor review sounds legitimate, but one user simply bought the wrong unit (no PC interface) and the other didn't like the sound. 5 others gave it 4 stars and 14 gave it 5 stars.

http://sra-solder.com/korad-ka3005p-programmable-precision-variable-adjustable-30v-5a-dc-linear-power-supply-digital-regulated-lab-grade/
- here is the vendor of choice (SRA Soldering Products); you can buy it directly from SRA or from SRA through Amazon; SRA stands behind their products with strong customer service.

http://www.amazon.com/KORAD-KA3005D-Precision-Adjustable-Regulated/dp/B0084JFWNY/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1417488760&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=korad+3005#Ask
- some Q&A about the product (and SRA)

A Rigol will offer more features and probably better performance but it will cost 3 times as much.  The Korad will take up considerably less bench space than a Rigol or any other power supply that anyone will recommend as being superior.  It's not a professional grade power supply but for $150 or less it's hard to beat.

YMMV, EF 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:25:49 am by Electro Fan »

Offline 6E5

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 03:37:32 am »
I would go with an old HP. I see tons of pretty good 0-40v @ 2-5 amp HP supplies on eBay for less than $100. If you can do without digital or PC connectivity, then you can really reduce the cost. I suppose you could replace the meter with a digital one if you really wanted to.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 05:57:44 pm »
I would go with an old HP. I see tons of pretty good 0-40v @ 2-5 amp HP supplies on eBay for less than $100. If you can do without digital or PC connectivity, then you can really reduce the cost. I suppose you could replace the meter with a digital one if you really wanted to.

I totally agree.
All my old HP power supplies are very reliable and stable and very low cost.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline SharpEars

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 06:04:25 pm »

How can this tiny box put out 32 amps at 32 volts?  :-// That's 1024 watts we're talking here?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:18:50 pm by SharpEars »

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 06:18:26 pm »

How can this tiny box put out 32 amps at 32 volts?  :-//

It's a switching supply. Probably doesn't hit both limits at the same time either.

Offline SharpEars

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 06:23:57 pm »

It's a switching supply. Probably doesn't hit both limits at the same time either.

Nope, their web site claims the full 1000+ watts, but can we trust Wun Hung Lo on his word? I mean look at that little fan in the back, there's no way it can cool the thing when at full load. Also, look at the noise figures, I don't believe them for a second  :box: :

Ripple & Noise (Peak-Peak)       <= 30mV
Ripple & Noise (r.m.s)           <= 3mV
Net Weight                       3.0KG

How much should the transformer weigh on this thing, even if it is a switcher?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:33:07 pm by SharpEars »

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 07:02:36 pm »
Nope, their web site claims the full 1000+ watts, but can we trust Wun Hung Lo on his word? I mean look at that little fan in the back, there's no way it can cool the thing when at full load. Also, look at the noise figures, I don't believe them for a second  :box: :

Their specs are very close to reality.
The weight of my one is actually 3.05Kg
Ripple and Noise (p-p) @ full load is ~32mV - measured on a Rigol DS2072A
I have run it at full load for extended periods (>6 hours) with no problems, although the fan gets a little noisy and it does get a little warm.
When I first received it I opened it up to do a safety visual and was fairly impressed with the build quality and there was no safety issues.
Certainly no where near as bad as some other equipment we have seen here on the EEVB.
I originally purchased it for testing my home brew DC load - works perfectly for that.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:36:24 pm »

If the efficiency is high then it may only dissipate 100-200W.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 07:55:12 pm »
Without actually measuring it, I am guessing that it would not be near 200W, perhaps 100W.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf