Author Topic: I just got a Fluke 5100B Calibrator  (Read 9042 times)

Offline nadonaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I just got a Fluke 5100B Calibrator
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:25:39 am »
This afternoon I finally received my Fluke 5100B calibrator (4.5 digits). A whopping 80lbs.
I turned on the machine for three hours and then calibrated my meters. To buy this calibrator, I had to sell three of my Keithley 2000. So all I got left are:

1. HP3456A DMM (6.5 digits)
2. Fluke 8840A (4.5 digits. With AC option rev 2.5)
3. Fluke 8840A (4.5 digits. No AC option rev 2.3)
4. UNI-T UT61E (22000 counts)

When I look at the measurements, the reference resistors are a lot more accurate than the calibrator, especially at low ohms. Surprisingly, UT61E does a better job than my other meters at reading currents. HP3456A does a great job at DC V but does a poorer job with AC V than the Fluke. (I haven't measured AC V using 3456A prior to this by the way).

Are these measurements overall expected of this 4.5 digit calibrator? Do any of these numbers show that the machine needs adjustments or repairs?

1st day test

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:48:27 am by nadona »
Ha-ha-ha. That's good, too!

Offline jebcom

• Regular Contributor
Re: I just got a Fluke 5100B Calibrator
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:14 am »
With a sample size of 2 or 3 its not safe to draw a conclusion.Does the calibrator have a current valid calibration?

Offline PhilNY

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 05:43:00 pm »
My 5500A costs around $800.00 US to calibrate so that is probably out of the question for you. I see by the cal sticker that it was last done in 2000 if the front sticker is the last one.
It is an absolutely great machine if in working order and is probably close but with out calibrated reference standards it is hard to be sure.

Good luck. Great find.

Phil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:28:42 am »
Thanks jebcom. I think you're right.

PhilNY: You must have a calibration lab, with a 5500A, right? What did the $800 include? Can you please be more specific? Adjusting all the things inside to the optimum? Outside panel screw adjustment? Or just a read-out? Also, my sticker is just for the Functional Check. I don't know what that means.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 02:20:55 am »
My 5500A costs around $800.00 US to calibrate so that is probably out of the question for you. I see by the cal sticker that it was last done in 2000 if the front sticker is the last one.

Well, you could start your own calibration lab with one of these  ::)

I would take it to the office if you work on an electronics job or your college lab if any of these has an accurate, recently calibrated multimeter.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline PhilNY

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 01:28:31 am »
I should be more specific. The 5500A Is not mine but has only been used by me in the college lab where I had it purchased in 99.

I loved the 5100B,s and used and repaired them in a lab in the 80's. Really great machines for quickly doing calibrations on handhelds and most bench meters without a lot of set up - they really sped up the cal process and could track cal data with the programming and printout options, GPIB too I think. Great for doing before and after readings.

When I said the cal price, I meant sending the calibrator to an NIST certified shop that typically uses lab standards of 10 times greater than the accuracy of the calibrator to bring it into the factory specifications of accuracy. I only need to send mine out once a year, but could get more accuracy if I went to shorter cycles.

The 10 to one rule is what you try to shoot for when you calibrate something if you can get it (not always easy).
So if you want to check for .04% in DC then you need something NIST certified that can measure .004%. In some cases you can only get 4 to 1 or less, but then you have to be extra careful with your methods.
Hope that helps clear it up.
Phil

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 05:14:49 am »
That clears up a lot of things. Thank you very much.

Offline COSMOS2K

• Contributor
    • Test equipment Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 02:19:22 pm »
Hello:
I repair and calibrate measurement and test equipment, including Fluke 5100X calibrators. I recently repaired and calibrated 2 of these, an A and a B, with many burned components, but it was no problem, these transatlantic are very repairable and calibrated with some ease, it is true that sometimes you have to read and reread the technical manual And get into the skin of the designers and understand the how and why and how it works.
The 2 calibrators have come out of my lab and well calibrated, the equipment they use have been HP3456A and fluke 8505A but the latter has a very high heating time so I have used less.
If your 3456A is well calibrated, you will not have trouble calibrating it.
Remember that many capacitors of the 5100X have to be replaced by old ones, especially those of tantalum, I change 40 of them and the calibrators have worked without problems.

Sorry for my bad English.

Greetings.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf