Author Topic: My newest oldest oscilloscope - GEC M861B Miniscope  (Read 5213 times)

Offline dazz1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: My newest oldest oscilloscope - GEC M861B Miniscope
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2024, 02:11:45 am »
You said over on the UK Vintage Radio forum that you thought your scope was likely the only one in NZ. Well, not only do I have one too, but I'm even in the same city.  :-)  I acquired it a few years ago at a recycling centre. It's currently waiting for me to retire and have the time to rehabilitate it. I also have a larger and more recent scope in the queue as shown in the other picture.

Hi
That is definitely a coincidence.  These little scopes would have been expensive to import, including the tax and duty.  I suspect many of them would have been thrown out when transistorised scopes became available. The Miniscope was always quite low spec. 

Does your Miniscope power up?  What is the serial number of your Miniscope?  Mine is 83246.
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

Offline Don Hills

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2024, 12:16:35 am »
It's S/N 83523.
I haven't tried to power it up. I suspect it was at least attempted at some stage, because the power cord has been replaced with a 2-conductor molded plug and cable as commonly found on Japanese transistor radios etc. I plan to at least take a look inside and check for replaced components.

Offline dazz1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2024, 12:07:39 am »
It's S/N 83523.
I haven't tried to power it up. I suspect it was at least attempted at some stage, because the power cord has been replaced with a 2-conductor molded plug and cable as commonly found on Japanese transistor radios etc. I plan to at least take a look inside and check for replaced components.

I powered mine up with a variac, low current fuse and current limiting resistor.   Nothing glowed.
Over half the caps in mine showed visible signs of failure.  Four had been replaced.
About 1/3rd of the carbon resistors were way over spec.
Half of the potentiometers were seized solid. 

I am basically replacing everything inside except the valves and potentiometers. 
I am not attempting to stuff the old caps with new versions. Too much work for zero return.
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf