Author Topic: Used Fluke 87V - is my input jack receptacle okay? Also, removing spilled paint?  (Read 8230 times)

Offline Goodwill HuntingTopic starter

• Contributor
I bought a used Fluke 87V today.  It is a backup to another Fluke 87V, so I am familiar with using the model. 

The input jack receptacle is off for the 2 leftmost jacks (A and mA).  The other two (COM and V) are perfectly square in their spot, but the two on the left are almost touching the sides. 

On my other Fluke 87V, all 4 are even and in the center.  I can still insert both Pomona and Fluke branded test leads with no trouble whatsoever, but it seems wrong.  Is this something to be concerned about?  Is it normal?  I am aware I can solder in a new receptacle, and I will do that if it's needed, but maybe this is common and I just don't know.

Second question:  The previous owner spilled paint on the Fluke,  You can see in the prior pictures plus these additional pictures:

I am no expert on plastics or paints.  Can I use acetone to remove the paint without damaging the plastic?  I tried alcohol with no effect.

Thanks for any input!

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
I don't know what resin it's made of: the injection mold usually has letters that identify the material, visible on the inside surface.
But in general, acetone does attack plastics, melting them. A slightly safer solvent for that paint stain is xylene.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Is this something to be concerned about?  Is it normal?  I am aware I can solder in a new receptacle, and I will do that if it's needed, but maybe this is common and I just don't know.
Can't say I ever noticed or checked for this on any meter.  As long as the probes go in/out fine, I wouldn't be too worried.  A new input jack receptacle will cost you about $23 to $27 USD on ebay.

Modemhead does have these blog entries that you might find interesting.  I see he is reading this thread.

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-80-series-jack-assembly-rebuild/

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-banana-jack-repair/

Second question:  The previous owner spilled paint on the Fluke,
See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/dirty-multimeter-clean-up/

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
I'd be willing to bet someone else has already tried to wipe off the paint with paint thinner.  Some of it collected in the bottom of the current jacks and softened the plastic, causing them to be off-center.  If it works and you can insert leads OK, I wouldn't worry about it.

I might carefully try one of those "Magic Eraser" melamine sponges before any solvents.  Acetone will likely melt the plastic, and probably also smear the labeling.  You could test a small spot on the back to see.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
BTW, I just noticed that your first $140 USD Fluke 87V has pretty dirty input jacks.  You can clean them using qtips dipped in IPA like

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/gallery/fluke-189-clean-up/

• Contributor
I'd be willing to bet someone else has already tried to wipe off the paint with paint thinner.  Some of it collected in the bottom of the current jacks and softened the plastic, causing them to be off-center.  If it works and you can insert leads OK, I wouldn't worry about it.

I might carefully try one of those "Magic Eraser" melamine sponges before any solvents.  Acetone will likely melt the plastic, and probably also smear the labeling.  You could test a small spot on the back to see.

Interesting idea about solvents bending those jacks.  I opened the case to see if there was anything obvious going on, and no the inner barrel of the jack just seem cockeyed but the case and the receptacle block itself appear straight and normal.  You may be right.  Even though it works fine, it bothers me so I may replace the jack receptacle anyway.

One thing that I find odd is that the back of the case no longer says "Made in USA".   

The PCB is Rev 013 and the firmware is 3.03. 

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
One thing that I find odd is that the back of the case no longer says "Made in USA".   
Show us a picture of the back.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Acetone and thinner are very risk don't use any of those they will attack the plastic

• Contributor
Show us a picture of the back.

Both:

Close up of new one:

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Acetone and thinner are very risk don't use any of those they will attack the plastic
You can use isopropyl alcohol, methanol, or limonene, those should all be safe on the plastic. Sometimes it's easier to just sand the stain off, though.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Hmm, UL listing is gone too from back of case.

Offline DTJ

• Super Contributor
If the paint is acrylic soaking it in methylated spirits will probably soften it enough to pick and wipe off.

• Contributor
I tried cleaning the paint, but alcohol wouldn't work and I realized that the damage would be obvious even if I removed every bit of paint, so I ordered a new front case and jack.

This is the old input jack receptable in the new front case, showing that the jack is what is crooked:

This is the new input jack receptacle in the new front case, showing everything lined up well:

Soldered the jack and put it all together.  The middle one is the new case and new jack.  The one on left is another 87V I have for comparison.  Tne one on the right is the old front case and old jack:

Did some testing and 87V with the new input jack receptacle works great.  Tested V DC, mV DC, Ohms, continuity, A DC, and mA DC, comparing one 87V to the other.  No issues found.

I'm impressed with both how rugged and how repairable the 87V is. 

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Tne one on the right is the old front case and old jack:
You may want to try and get some of your money back by selling this on ebay or the buy/sell/want subforum.  Just disclose the problems and sell for a discount and you will likely get a buyer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf