Author Topic: Looking for suggestions for a microscope within Australia  (Read 599 times)

Offline RaddicTopic starter

Looking for suggestions for a microscope within Australia
« on: September 16, 2023, 12:58:07 pm »
I am looking for a decent microscope for hobbyist electronics work.
I have been looking at the AmScope options but I would prefer something local in Australia due to ease of warranty, import costs etc.
My budget is $2000 AUD or less.

If I am forced to get something internationally, I would most likely lean towards an AmScope.
They have quite a few options for electronics work. Is there one model that is recommended over another?

Thanks in advance!

Offline slugrustle

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Looking for suggestions for a microscope within Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 02:42:46 pm »
Can't help you with the Australian vendor.  I'm also not sure what you're looking to do with the scope.  Having a camera or not is probably the biggest question.

I have a binocular Amscope with a gooseneck LED light, boom stand, and long working distance.  I primarily use it for soldering; the long working distance means there's plenty of space to maneuver an iron.  It's also handy for inspecting components/soldering/traces/etc. and for other fine work like cutting traces with a knife.  I almost always use the 5x eyepiece.  I used the 20x eyepiece one time: I intentionally cracked a ceramic capacitor in order to see the layers.  They're crazy thin!  I don't recall using the 10x eyepiece.  The scope does not have a camera or anything like that.

The scope I have looks like this one https://amscope.com/collections/stereo-microscopes-boom-stands/products/se400-x, although that might not be the exact model.

I've thought of buying a fancier microscope from time to time, but this one works very well for my purposes, and I haven't been able to justify spending more for the fancier ones.  Maybe I'll eventually get one with a camera (or buy a separate USB microscope).

Edit: When the microscope arrived, the LED light did not function.  The power supply was fine, and the LED itself was broken.  I relayed this to Amscope and asked for a replacement LED to avoid shipping costs, and they sent a new LED.  They said sending only the replacement part worked better for them as well.  It's not cool that it was broken, but I was happy with their response.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:45:36 pm by slugrustle »

Offline RaddicTopic starter

Re: Looking for suggestions for a microscope within Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 05:22:12 pm »
Thanks for the response. I would be looking for something with a camera. It is reassuring to hear that AmScope were happy to sort out the issue too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf