Author Topic: Tektronix probe to Rigol scope active probe adapter T2R1000.  (Read 3770 times)

Offline commongrounderTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Tektronix probe to Rigol scope active probe adapter T2R1000.
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:48 pm »
This little Rigol adapter caught my eye because I have a couple of Tektronix P6200 series active probes that have, so far, had no scope to connect to.  The Tek free standing power supplies have always been a bit too pricey for me to justify.  This adapter is tempting for $300.00, and would allow a direct connection between a Tek probe and my DS4000 series Rigol scope with no coax or AC cables.  The Rigol scope firmware even recognizes and displays the probe model on the channel input menu, and offers calibration and DC offset (if the probe supports it). Has anyone taken the bait and purchased one of these yet?  I'm curious if it behaves without any bugs. 
Thanks! :)

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
Re: Tektronix probe to Rigol scope active probe adapter T2R1000.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:14:28 pm »
I don't think the scope figures out exactly what probe model is connected; the manual says you have to dial it in.  That would be some major reverse engineering of Tek's I2C interface if it did.

The Tek power supply (1103) gives you two seats, the adapter is one for about the same price.

I have the Agilent equivalent of the Rigol adapter, and I must say it's extremely convenient not to deal with the coax and external power supply to do a quick measurement with a Tek probe.  I don't regret buying a pair of them.  (And you have to tell the Agilent which probe is connected too.)

The only thing I don't like is the major lever these adapters create with some of the bigger Tek compensation boxes.  I haven't snapped anything off yet...

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:50:17 am »
The only thing I don't like is the major lever these adapters create with some of the bigger Tek compensation boxes.  I haven't snapped anything off yet...

Their 4000 series which runs Windows 7 has this problem which is just made worse by tilting the oscilloscope back to leave room for the keyboard and mouse under the probe compensation bodies and leads.  There is so much stress on the probe interfaces that you can hear their plastic structure creak and the interface connections are unreliable leading to the oscilloscope freezing or crashing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:35:18 pm by David Hess »

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »
Not surprising it has mechanical problems.  A pair of jack screws would have been nice in the original TP2 design instead of putting all the weight on the BNC outer shell.

To the OP: It occurred to me that not all the P6200 series probes have the TekProbe II interface, which is what the Rigol adapter supports.  You probably already know what connector type you have, but in case you're unsure here is a handy reference that lists many of them:

http://www.barrytech.com/tektronix/probes/tekprobes.html

And the possibilities might be limited by specific models supported in the Rigol firmware.  There's a list in the adapter manual.

Offline commongrounderTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:55:09 pm »
Thanks, MarkL. I did check, and both of my probes are supported (if not well mechanically!). I see your point about the lever effect on the scope input jack. I have my scope on a higher shelf, angled downward. In theory, I could rig up a support for the assembly.  ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf