Author Topic: HP 54540C Dumpster Scope  (Read 5109 times)

Offline G0HZUTopic starter

• Super Contributor
HP 54540C Dumpster Scope
« on: December 16, 2015, 05:12:33 pm »
I salvaged a pile of scrap test gear at work today and in amongst the scopes was one of these old DSOs from HP:

http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000001424%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-54540C/4-channel-500-msa-color-digitizing-oscilloscope-obsolete?cc=US&lc=eng

It seems to work OK and I wondered if anyone has any experience of these old scopes. I'm guessing that it must be nearly 20 years old. It has been sat unused for many years in an old storeroom along with a load of other obsolete test gear. The display seems a bit gloomy and my initial fumblings with it have failed to find a brightness control in the menus.
It's likely to have seen a lot of use so maybe the backlight is old/fading. Is there an adjuster inside for brightness or contrast? It's still perfectly useable but it does look like it needs a tweak to the brightness or contrast.

I know that the 2GSa/s sample rate and 500MHz BW goes down as I enable 2  or more channels but are there any other gotchas with this old scope? I might keep it as it has 4 channels and it has a floppy for storing screenshots and (presumably) full control via GPIB. So it might come in handy from time to time.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:51:43 pm by G0HZU »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: HP 54540 Dumpster Scope
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:18:39 pm »
they are not bad machines.

but, BEFORE you get all worked up and excited.
pull out the power supply and replace ALL capacitors. these power supplies are notorious for cat-wee smell after which the scope goes poof and you can throw it away....

especially when it has sat for such a long time.

and also check the schaffner power input. it may need a replacement before it goes kaboom  too...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:28:28 pm »
on the black and white models, the brightness adjustment was a screw round the back*

*this is not to be confused with young fumblings behind the bike sheds

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:34:29 pm »
OK thanks for the advice  :)

Here's an image of it. The good news is that the display seems to get brighter as it is left on. It's been on for maybe 10 minutes now. I don't get excited about scopes so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this one or not. I'm not too keen about recapping all the caps in the PSU  :(  Are there lots of them?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 05:36:24 pm »
I've had a look on the back panel but I can't see an adjustment screw. I think it just needs a bit more contrast but maybe these old colour LCD displays are naturally a bit gloomy.

Offline wblock

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP 54540C Dumpster Scope
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 06:08:46 pm »
Don't these machines run a (very old) version of Windows?  Has anyone ever replaced the monitor with an LCD?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 06:19:47 pm »
It doesn't run Windows but this C version does already have a colour (VGA ) LCD display as standard. The mono version uses a CRT but this one has a flat panel LCD display. I've also raised the viewing angle up a bit and this has improved the contrast a lot. So the display looks OK now. Much better than my earlier image above but it does have a fairly limited viewing angle before the screen loses contrast.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 06:39:52 pm »
The good news is that the display seems to get brighter as it is left on. It's been on for maybe 10 minutes now. I don't get excited about scopes so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this one or not. I'm not too keen about recapping all the caps in the PSU  :(  Are there lots of them?

Clearly your best course of action is get someone to take it off your hands, gratis. When do you want me to come? Looks like about only an hours travel each way :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline wblock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 06:43:34 pm »
Too bad we aren't in the same country, that seems like a worthwhile DSO to recap, even if it does only have 32K of sample memory.

If you open it, photos would be good.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 07:03:48 pm »
I'll have a go at opening it some time over xmas and look for any leaking caps. If the caps look OK inside I think I'll keep it :)

I've taken a look inside the big probe wallet on top and there were no probes there but I did find the original firmware (3.5" FDD) disk inside the original EULA envelope from HP. This was dated Jan 1996.

The firmware disk only has two files on it (ROM and SYSTEM) and it covers lots of models including the 54542C. It would be nice if the 40C could be hacked to become a 42C but I'm guessing the hardware will be different inside?
Also this scope boots really fast. Just a few seconds. There is a fair bit of fan noise but not as bad as I feared for an old 2GSa/s 500MHz scope.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:08:40 pm by G0HZU »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 08:00:24 pm »
motorola 68k . same system architecture as their logic analysers (16500)
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf